The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup i know it's a pretty cheap guitar but it has a great neck so here's the question...
I'm wondering what upgrades to do on it?
I'm leaning towards setting it up more country than rock also so what options do i have pickup wise?
The manager at Mcauleys pretty much said don't waste my money(sounds like a bit of-buy another guitar)
Maybe you'll all agree with him but other than practicing slide it's not getting used much as i have a "blackie" and an "epi lp" with a 59 and jb in it.
I'm very close to buying a tube amp which is another section question.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If it plays well and you like the feel then upgrading the pups, possibly the bridge, get a bone nut if not already you can make yourself a great little player guitar. A good pup set can make the world of difference.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Ya I am not sure if far' has any more Tele sets, but I bought a great set of Fralins from him.

The nut and the tuners are 2 upgrades I'd highly recommend. Plus pots and jacks are really cheap so it's worth it to upgrade those.

I think upgraded Squires make great guitars.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey BB I'm not suggeting you browse another forum but the FDP page, specifically for Fender lovers has a whole section devoted to Squires and mods of them.
I myself have an '86 blackie MIJ Squire Strat with a Maple neck.
Fantastic guitar, no mods ( well that's not true as I put in a 5 way and beefed up the springs) all original.
I've heard good things about Rio Grande pickups.( Sorry jst realized you said contry, I think you can forget, although I'm not sure, the RG's which are rock for sure) Check out their website.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Benee,i've been on fenders forum for quite awhile,it's quite mind boggling the amount of information there and should have a search engine for itself!I think i'm going to chat with Robb at the guitar shop too for another opinion.I'm wondering if i can throw in a couple of fender noiseless or would that just make it emulate my Blackie?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I've played a couple of import tele's that I thought were just great.

Before you do anything drastic to it, maybe you should look at the tube amp you mentioned? The amp may get you much closer to the sound you want, before you start doing any mods.

·
Registered
217 Posts
BB what type of pick ups are on the guitar now?
Like dwagar says it may not be the guitar. You may also just be gassing and for the wrong thing.
Benee

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nawww if i was gassing i'd be buying a Godin freeway,lol
I think you may be right i wasn't really complaining about the pickups,they're fine
for what they are,maybe i'm just expecting to much because of my other two.I think it might be wise to wait until i decide on a tube amp.I haven't been down to the music shop this week due to my work schedule and the fact i'm redoing the livingroom(paint and new carpet).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to the squier site it says they're standard single coil(whatever model those are?)but the one on the site has a black nut and mine is white.Mine's a 2003 model.

·
Registered
217 Posts
O.K. B.B.This is what I got. I guess "Standard" is a brand name and that MIC means Made in China. That's my guess, in which case new pick ups would be in order.
Benee Wafers

"Standard" MIC Tele pickups (with ceramic bar magnets)...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Benee,probably by next weekend i'll make a decision,what with painting the livingroom and stripping the carpet i'm mellowing out.I checked the fender squire board and they're wasn't alot of info on guys swapping their affinity tele pickups out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This from FDP
Benee
This past April, I "upgraded" my 2000 Affinity Tele. Bought a Telecaster wiring kit from Stewart MacDonald for $24.95. Came with new jack,selector switch, wiring,capacitors,2-250k pots. Ordered online. Then at ebay from Guitar Fetish- order two new pups. The GFS Lil Puncher for neck and Hot Overwound for bridge. Each was about $25. Bought some new Tele knobs...and now this baby SPANKS. Easy and fun to do.

C

·
0 Posts
I picked up one of these used for less than 150. It has the butterscotch blond finish, black pickguard. I have to say I am amazed at what you can get (even new) for less than $200 today. My god, in 1979 my first guitar was a Lero SG copy from a pawn shop that cost $100. I'm no math whiz, but I'm sure that's more than $200 in today-dollars.

This Tele isn't the prettiest one in the stable, but for what you pay for...alder body, half decent hardware, it stays in tune. You really can't go wrong. Yeah, I really wanted the Custom Vibe 50's model, but it was $300 more. I don't gig, hardly ever even jam, so I just couldn't justify the extra dosh.

The Affinity series are great things for the money. In the mid 90's I bought a Squier Strat that was a plywood POS, and it was $100 more. We live in a golden age of affordable guitars, even with the recent price increase...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts