The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids have talked me into the family premium plan. $15/month for 5 users in the same household. There is also a student plan for $5/month.

"Dad, it's like Netflix but music"
"You will spend $15 on 1 album from iTunes"
"Spotify premium is unlimited and no commercials"

So I am currently listening to Winter Acoustic playlist and I have to say it's great. Beautiful new music that is making me want to pick up my acoustic and play along.

Anyone else using Spotify?
Any comments?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yup, love it! I still buy the music that I really dig on vinyl so I use it as a way to discover new music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Never tried it...
I like to have some sort of media with the music--steaming does me no good if the internet goes out...

Or am I missing the boat on something here?
Out of date?

the only people I know who use Spotify use the free version...

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
My wife and I are both Spotify users on the family plan (was a Rogers freebie for 2 years, but that expired now). It’s generally great. Works well and integrates well with lots of other technology like Sonos speakers, Amazon Echo, Waze app on smartphones, etc. Playlist management is a bit awkward and it’s weird they have really not improved it over time, but good otherwise.

However ... a colleague did an investigation and instead chose Google Music for basically the same family plan cost. The reason: Google Music has the best payment rates to musicians of all the decent services. That seems like an important consideration, particularly for this forum. It seems to have equivalent (ie very large) music selection as Spotify.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
I use Spotify and absolutely love it. We have the family plan for cheap, cheap, cheap.

Everything we own uses Rogers services because my son works for Rogers. We get all services for 50% off through his employee discount program.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have the family plan too. Each member of the household has their own account and it’s really neat to see what my kids find on their own. My 6 year old loves the song Detroit Rock City - and I never played it for him, he found that out all on his own. I will happily pay for this plan for the rest of my life. It’s the biggest game changer in the way that I enjoy music in many years.

I also buy records too and just bought a new turntable this fall. To me, that’s the best of both worlds; physical media and streaming.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
We are supposed to get 6mo free with our new PS4, but I havent activated it.

The amount of music I havent checked out is overwhelming enough, and spotify puts that in my face. Odd reasoning but that is a big part of it. I like to sit with an album for a while and I get option paralysis with some things.

My friends who use it love it.

Reactions: StratCat

·
Registered
116 Posts
I started using it a couple years ago when it was available free for 2 years as a Rogers promotion.. my 2 years ended a while back and I've just paid since.
It's something I thought was stupid before I used it, but really can't live without it now. 100% of my music is listened to via spotify, and it can literally go wherever I go, with apps on the phone, pc, xbox..
I can save songs to my phone so it doesn't chew up bandwidth, which I can listen to in the car via bluetooth, and it's great for discovering bands I would have never heard of otherwise.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
One of the best things about Spotify is using it for rehearsal. I download all of the songs on our current setlist and then play it through the PA system if we need to fine tune something or if I happen to just want to jam by myself I get out my blue tooth speaker at home and sync it with my phone. It's so awesome.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We are supposed to get 6mo free with our new PS4, but I havent activated it.

My son just bought a ps4. Wasbit something that came in the box or promo from store?

Can you download from Spotify or is it just streaming playlists.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
My son just bought a ps4. Wasbit something that came in the box or promo from store?

It's just streaming playlists or so I have been told by the tech nerd who resides with us.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts

Not sure, may be through sony. I didnt see anything in the box.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You can download so that you can play it on the go and not be using your data plan.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Had to look up after two different answers. LOL

The songs are downloadable within the Spotify app in a proprietary format for play offline.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
My kids have talked me into the family premium plan. $15/month for 5 users in the same household. There is also a student plan for $5/month. Anyone else using Spotify?
Any comments?
I'll add that it doesn't have to be in the same household. My son put me on it and I'm 3 hours away. I do like it though. Works well with a smart phone bluetoothed to stereo receivers in and around the house. You can use your household receivers that don't have bluetooth with a $6 bluetooth adaptor sold on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Had to look up after two different answers. LOL

The songs are downloadable within the Spotify app in a proprietary format for play offline.
Both answers may still be correct. I believe the ability to download for offline play is only in the premium/paid service. Streaming (with ads) only for the free version.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Both answers may still be correct. I believe the ability to download for offline play is only in the premium/paid service. Streaming (with ads) only for the free version.
Correct! But again, what you DL can only be played by the Spotify app. You cannot say, make a cd or put the Spotify content on an MP3 player.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I use the free version.

I have discovered some new music through it and I just buy that on iTunes. I find a don't spend enough money on music to make it worthwhile paying for Spotify. I rarely buy full albums I just buy the three songs that are good on the album.

I find it really dumb that you can't sort the artists you follow alphabetically.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts