The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell is it with these little 4-cylinder sub-compact commuter cars, that have engines under 2l, but a "spoiler" on the rear hood Is there actually any need whatsoever of them requiring different air flow to maximize acceleration and maintain top speed? Is their fuel consumption at 60kmh somehow predicated on such efficient aerodynamics? Wouldn't the competitiveness of their car be improved by simply putting racing stripes and a cigar-smoking Woody Woodpecker decal on the side?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
i love it when they put on glasspack exhausts or whatever the millennial equivalent is. watch out boys, someones got a honda...that just spent 8 seconds trying to max out third gear...clearly a racecar, look at the rims.

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
i love it when they put on glasspack exhausts or whatever the millennial equivalent is. watch out boys, someones got a honda...that just spent 8 seconds trying to max out third gear...clearly a racecar, look at the rims.
I believe the exhaust you speak of is called a "fart can". I just roll my eyes when they drive by :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Spoilers actually provide no benefit until you reach speeds most people would consider irresponsible and unsafe on public roads. In fact, below those speeds, they actually add drag, reducing performance. Not to mention, drawing (often the wrong kind of) attention to one's self. I'll take a nice low key car any day...stealth mode baby.

P

·
0 Posts
On the Celica 4th gen forum they called it R.I.C.E. I cannot remember what the acronym stands for but the meaning is racing enhancements that do absolutely nothing and are usually on cars that are not fast to begin with. There was a RICE thread and they would post pictures of the RICE cars they would see out in public.

I like the expensive cars that when they hit a certain speed the spoiler comes up and the car lowers to the ground.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
On the Celica 4th gen forum they called it R.I.C.E. I cannot remember what the acronym stands for but the meaning is racing enhancements that do absolutely nothing and are usually on cars that are not fast to begin with. There was a RICE thread and they would post pictures of the RICE cars they would see out in public.

I like the expensive cars that when they hit a certain speed the spoiler comes up and the car lowers to the ground.
i cant tell if youre 14 or 104 lol

they're being racist. hondas are asian cars. asians eat rice. rice rocket.
dont worry though ive never heard of an asian getting upset over the term. maybe they never understood it until now and i've just ruined it for white trash everywhere.

P

·
0 Posts
i cant tell if youre 14 or 104 lol

they're being racist. hondas are asian cars. asians eat rice. rice rocket.
dont worry though ive never heard of an asian getting upset over the term. maybe they never understood it until now and i've just ruined it for white trash everywhere.
"Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements"

*Race is not ethnicity, it is racing car race.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Back in the mid-90's internet, they used to call them "rice boys". There used to be a web site by an Asian American, who would put up photos of those aesthetically souped-up, all show but no go Japanese cars for laughs. Not sure if it is still around.

I used to live and work in TO for a few years around that period and saw quite a few of those around. Not all of them were driven by Asians, though. I drove a VW GTI VR6 at the time, and I did my best to ignore those cars with a tailpipe tip the size of a coffee can rumbling next to me at the lights. I did not have tinted glass, so I tried not to chuckle. They were the rather thin-skinned sort and could easily be provoked. Got nothing to prove to those dudes.

I once joked that Mel Lastman did not need to call in the military to help cleaning up TO streets after that snowstorm. There were plenty of those tricked out Japanese cars with coil-over and ground effects. They would make nice snow plows.

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Hold on folks - Mark never told us the size of the spoilers in question.

My car fits the bill - 1.8L hatchback with a spoiler. The spoiler wasn't even relevant in the car, it was part of the package that came with alloys and fog lights (things I actually wanted). If it didn't have the spoiler I wouldn't have cared.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
As long as they don't cut me off or do some other dick move infront of me I don't care what they drive. Just like I don't care what kind of guitar someone else plays. I think the only group of people that complain worse than musicians are golfers on golf forums. They got us beat by a mile.
Now I'm going to have to go out and look to see if my car even has a spoiler. Its a hyundai sonata with the sport package so it might. Thats how observant I am with cars. I bought it cause it was a good deal on a demo. I think it has some kind of dual exhaust looking thingy at the back thats fake.
The way people drive nowadays I'd rather have a road full of cars that look fast and go slow than a road full of really fast cars.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I must be old.... I have never made an alteration to any part of the exterior of any car I've ever owned.... closest I've come is thinking, these tires look better than those ones.

Guitar mods, well that's a whole other thread!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts