The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
76 in a 50 zone :rolleyes: 122 bucks and 3 points. I decided to *fight* it 'cos there was a buch of cars and we were all over the limit. I might have been a little faster but not by much. We were all moving along pretty much together. I'm hoping that the amount will be reduced and not loose the points.

Anyhoo, today is my First Attendance meeting. What do I say? Anyone's been there?

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Its funny, I speed all the time, and I never got a ticket. I've been pulled over twice, but never got a ticket. Once I was pulled over doing 100 over the limit, and got a warning. I guess I have nicer legs than you.............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He didn't even give me a chance to show my legs :D Hopefully posting this is not going to jinx you ;)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Deux d' Pic said:
76 in a 50 zone :rolleyes: 122 bucks and 3 points. I decided to *fight* it 'cos there was a buch of cars and we were all over the limit. I might have been a little faster but not by much. We were all moving along pretty much together. I'm hoping that the amount will be reduced and not loose the points.

Anyhoo, today is my First Attendance meeting. What do I say? Anyone's been there?
Good Luck! You are going to need it, the speed limit is the speed limit not the speed everyone else is travelling. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff Flowerday said:
Good Luck! You are going to need it, the speed limit is the speed limit not the speed everyone else is travelling. :)

A few years back, this woman came here for training or whatever. She was either from Calgary or Edmonton. She said "OMD! people here (around Toronto) drive like maniacs. So I guess that you guys respect the speed limit more than we do here. Thanks for the good luck, I may need it.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Deux d' Pic said:
A few years back, this woman came here for training or whatever. She was either from Calgary or Edmonton. She said "OMD! people here (around Toronto) drive like maniacs. So I guess that you guys respect the speed limit more than we do here. Thanks for the good luck, I may need it.
I don't respect the speed limit and I'm usually leading the pack of speeders. That said I honestly don't believe you have a leg to stand on with this one. Sorry man! :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff Flowerday said:
I don't respect the speed limit and I'm usually leading the pack of speeders. That said I honestly don't believe you have a leg to stand on with this one. Sorry man! :(
That's ok. I'm just not too sure as to what to say. I'll just be very nice to him (and slip him a $20 bill as I shake his hand):p

Well I got to go. It's 12:30 and my appointment is at 1. I guess I'll have to use excessive speed and cut everybody off if I want to get there on time :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
I think all Canadian drivers blow chunks. I always thought we should have an Autobahn here, but with the way people drive, it just wouldnt work. At least on the Autobahn the drivers have common sence to drive at the speed their car was designed for, and kept to the slow lanes. Speeding is dangerous if you are exceeding what your car is designed to be driven at...............

·
Registered
698 Posts
I remember there used to be a guy who had an office right outside the courthouse around here who specialized in "pleading down" speeding tickets. Don't know if he's still around or not. I haven't gotten one since around 1991.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's all so *dramatic*. Get there and there's a bunch of confused people waiting around. By one of the door, there's a list of about 50 people or so whose appointment is at one o'clock (the confused people waiting). But the door is locked and nobody to tell you anything.

You wait and finally the door opens and a guy comes out, mumbles a few words and goes back in. "what did he say?" "huh?"... So we figured that we line up and go in when he says "next". Say hi, sit down, he looks for your file.

"So I guess you're here 'cos you want to pay less and not loose points?" he ask. Eh.. yeah. "How's $65 and no points?" Ok I guess. "Just sit outside in the hall and we'll call you".

Wait another 15 - 20 minutes. The doors of the courtroom open. A bunch of guys in spendex come out with long long trumpets... TA TATATAAAAAAA! (just kidding). You all go in and sit in the courtroom for another 15 - 20 minutes. It's ver very very quiet. Nobody talks. The guy we all went to talk to is sitting facing the judge (I guess he's now our attourney).

The judge comes in. ALL RISE!!! Then our *attourney* talks to the judge, calls up everybody one at a time. "State your name". Attourney talks to the judge on your behalf. A clerk read your offence to you then "what do you plead? Guilty or not-guilty?". You say "guilty".

The judge sentences you and the fine is $35 (+ $10 for whatever). You leave the courtroom, pay your fine and you're outta there. Like I said, it's so dramatic that they should offer a meal and a couple of drinks and turn this into a dinner-theatre or something :p ;) :D

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
What a waste of tax payers dollars. Why not just give the cops a VISA machine in their cars. You get caught, you pay the fine, the end.............

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Deux d' Pic said:
It's all so *dramatic*. Get there and there's a bunch of confused people waiting around. By one of the door, there's a list of about 50 people or so whose appointment is at one o'clock (the confused people waiting). But the door is locked and nobody to tell you anything.

You wait and finally the door opens and a guy comes out, mumbles a few words and goes back in. "what did he say?" "huh?"... So we figured that we line up and go in when he says "next". Say hi, sit down, he looks for your file.

"So I guess you're here 'cos you want to pay less and not loose points?" he ask. Eh.. yeah. "How's $65 and no points?" Ok I guess. "Just sit outside in the hall and we'll call you".

Wait another 15 - 20 minutes. The doors of the courtroom open. A bunch of guys in spendex come out with long long trumpets... TA TATATAAAAAAA! (just kidding). You all go in and sit in the courtroom for another 15 - 20 minutes. It's ver very very quiet. Nobody talks. The guy we all went to talk to is sitting facing the judge (I guess he's now our attourney).

The judge comes in. ALL RISE!!! Then our *attourney* talks to the judge, calls up everybody one at a time. "State your name". Attourney talks to the judge on your behalf. A clerk read your offence to you then "what do you plead? Guilty or not-guilty?". You say "guilty".

The judge sentences you and the fine is $35 (+ $10 for whatever). You leave the courtroom, pay your fine and you're outta there. Like I said, it's so dramatic that they should offer a meal and a couple of drinks and turn this into a dinner-theatre or something :p ;) :D
Makes you wonder why they give the ticket in the first place? This is definate good to know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just want to add that (here in Ontario anyway) there are 3 options for paying a ticket

1) plead guilty and pay fine (full amount, loose points, ..)

2) (the one I did) is plead guilty "with explanation" for a lesser charge.

3) plead not-guilty and go to court

I agree, it's a big waste of time and money.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Deux d' Pic said:
...think of it as a voluntary tax - the price you pay for endangering the lives of others.

:D

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Accept2 said:
Its funny, I speed all the time, and I never got a ticket. I've been pulled over twice, but never got a ticket. Once I was pulled over doing 100 over the limit, and got a warning. I guess I have nicer legs than you.............
...risking your own life and the lives of others is truly hilarious.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
How am I risking my life or lives of other people again?.................

·
Registered
249 Posts
Deux d' Pic said:
2) (the one I did) is plead guilty "with explanation" for a lesser charge.
And what was you "explanation"? How, in your words, was exceeding the posted limit by 50%, justifiable?

·
Registered
319 Posts
WarrenG said:
And what was you "explanation"? How, in your words, was exceeding the posted limit by 50%, justifiable?
That's just it, there is no explanation for say. The *explanation* is given to the judge by your *attourney* (a plea for a lesser charge). Then they read to you what happened (...on this street, at this time, ..) but they change the speed you were going at (I got caught at 76 and when they read it to me, they said "...you were driving at 65 in a 50 zone... how do you plead?"). You say "guilty" so you are accepting the *new* charge. It's a warning kind of thing.

Edit: the *attourney* is the guy you speak with when you first get there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
BTW, I first signed in here as Deux d' Pic then I changed it.

See I hadn't had any speeding ticket in well over 5 year maybe even 10. The I got one I believe a little more than a year ago. The officer that day asked me if I had had any tickets lately. I said no. He went to his car, came back and gave me a ticket for about 50 bucks or so. I got caught at about the same speed (about 75 in a 50).

But this last ticket, the officer asked me the same question then went to his cruiser and when he came back, explained how much it was and that I was losing 3 points. Then he said "but you should really call this number and make an appointment... you might only have to pay about 50 dollars and you may not loose points".

Like I said, it's a more formal warning (you have to go during the day so you loose time at work, etc).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.