The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...i have often thought of switching from 12" speakers to 10"s, especially lately. in a playing context, i often find that the amout of low end from my 1-12 combo just occupies too much space relative to the rest of the band, and muddies things up. as well, i find the low end somewhat loose and flabby. will switching to (two) tens resolve these issues, and provide a tighter, more focused and more articulate low end. or should i just shut up and play :confused-smiley-010 ?

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
david henman said:
...i have often thought of switching from 12" speakers to 10"s, especially lately. in a playing context, i often find that the amout of low end from my 1-12 combo just occupies too much space relative to the rest of the band, and muddies things up. as well, i find the low end somewhat loose and flabby. will switching to (two) tens resolve these issues, and provide a tighter, more focused and more articulate low end. or should i just shut up and play :confused-smiley-010 ?

Tighter? Probably, but as you're no doubt aware, tens CAN generate a ton of bottom, depending on how the amp is voiced and how the cabinet is designed.

The Ampeg SVT is a case in point.

It's worth trying a few amps, but as you say, you sort of have to try them in the context of the band as opposed to by yourself.

As years go by, I find myself thinking this way more and more. It's good to look at the big picture.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I get that flabbyness in the lows on my classic 30, I upgraded the tubes and speaker and its not as bad as stock, but still there. I also tried the amp in a sealed 1-12 cab with the amps speaker disconnected and did not like the sound at all, it was too tight...I guess it would be hard to find the middle ground for me. Maybe the 2 ten's could be it?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...probably what i need to do is disconnect the celestion v30 in my traynor combo and rent a 2-10 cabinet for a couple of months.

-dh

·
Registered
788 Posts
david henman said:
...probably what i need to do is disconnect the celestion v30 in my traynor combo and rent a 2-10 cabinet for a couple of months.

-dh
you may also want to try a ported cab as well.

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
david henman said:

-dh

Good plan. It will likely take a bit of getting used to and a couple of months would be a fair test.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think it depends on the room you're playing in to certain degree. I have a Peavey Prowler single twelve combo that has a loose/tight switch for dead or live rooms. It's some sort of delay function for the bottom end wired between the amp and speaker itself. It actually makes a difference but I seem to prefer the loose setting no matter where I'm playing since the amp has nice tight bottom regardless. I think 10's would make a difference since smaller is quicker in response time. That's why I love those Ampeg SVT cabs. They're fat but not sloppy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's an experiment for you;take a 2-10 closed back cabinet and put an Eminence Ramrod in the top slot.It will blow your mind for bottom end and volume.It's essentially a de-tuned cabinet.It is as focused and almost as loud as a 2-12 cab.Try it,you will love it.
The bass coming out of it will surprise you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts