The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting a bit tired trying to find a good Canadian source to recone a speaker and I am putting some serious thought into doing it myself.

Details
It’s a 1964(50th week) Oxford 12t6 speaker currently residing in my BF Twin Reverb. I won’t say they are definitely original to the amp but there is a good chance.

The voice coil is frozen. There is zero movement in the speaker. The other speaker moves fine.

I’ve found several places that sell recone kits but anywhere that seems to actually do recone is in the states and I would prefer not shipping to the US.

I am very technically capable and a recone seems straight forward But I was curious if there is anything that may not be expected I should watch out for that I might not anticipate?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Theres a good tutorial vid by Uncle Doug on youtube where he does an old jensen ( very similar). That said there are canadian reconers but the only ones i know are in the Toronto area and the shipping will likely make it not worth it, but they could also supply you with the kit/ parts.

On phone now, but lemme know if interested and i’ll dig up the linknto the vid i mentioned.

Incidentally i decided to try my hand at it myself on an old Marsland 15 ( not worth it to pay for pro recone so otherwise garbage).

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did your recone of the marsland go? Too bad I didn’t have a newer Celestion or Jensen to do a practice run on. Maybe I will ask a few friends to see if they have anything.

I would love that link.

I did manage to find somebody in NS on Kijiji today but it’s Kijiji so I am trying to find other references.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
I'm considering trying my hand at it as I have a half dozen Jensen P15LL's that need recones. Don't know if I'd want to offer it as as service though.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
How did your recone of the marsland go? Too bad I didn’t have a newer Celestion or Jensen to do a practice run on. Maybe I will ask a few friends to see if they have anything.

I would love that link.

I did manage to find somebody in NS on Kijiji today but it’s Kijiji so I am trying to find other references.
Who is it?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His name is Larry Robertson. It seems like the number in his ad is a personal # and I googled it and found a profile on a site looking for musicians to play with. Nothing about speaker repair yet.

Nonreverb let me know how it goes!

I’ve been talking to an amp builder friend who used to recone speakers and it seems pretty straight forward and he seems to think I wouldn’t have an issue tackling it. Just have to be the tortoise not the hare

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts

I would love that link.

Haven't done the Marsland yet, in the queue behind a few other projects - no urgent need; a spare.

Here's that Uncle Doug vid:

I’ve been talking to an amp builder friend who used to recone speakers and it seems pretty straight forward and he seems to think I wouldn’t have an issue tackling it. Just have to be the tortoise not the hare
No not rocket science but there are some finicky bits - clean environment and a steady hand like @mhammer said. I've been hanging out at a local reconer/PA system installer shop a lot lately as I was trying out various things for my 1x15 and 4x12 and had some other things reconed and watched them work/helped out occasionally, so I've picked up on some of the basics. Figured I can risk effing up the Marsland.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts are if it is repairable worst case is I pay for a recone kit, mess it up and then pay somebody else to do it. On a positive note the speaker isn’t froze anymore and seems to have partially corrected itself after sitting for a week. I am not sure what caused the change. Maybe the change in temp from a warm room to a cold room and back...

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Temp can do it. But that still means it has a problem- temp change shouldn't do it if the VC is properly aligned in the gap. Under usage the cone flexes and can actually skew the VC and make it rub if its already a bit off.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
If the coil wire enamel had melted to the magnet, the temp change may have broken it loose.

No one has mentioned nasty chemicals. You need real good ventilation. There are probably less toxic glues these days, but I think the solvents to remove the old glue are still pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Santon is who I use (they are close to my folk's place). They are good, but it really isn't worth the shipping - for the total price with shipping both ways you can just get another Oxford on ebay. Now if it was a vintage Altec or something, then yeah.

Yes there are less toxic things to use these days - most of thew removal is done via scraping anyway. You can get away with just basic LePage Contact Cement (not the water based one). Still best to open a window (figured that was obvious, but fair point).

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I have a couple blown Eminence private jacks that need reconing, one of these days I will give them a shot

otherwise the cost to repair is more than buying a new speaker

·
Registered
210 Posts
FWIW: Chane Audio near Ottawa does reconing. I haven't used their services as most of my projects require new speakers, but I corresponded with the owner George and he was recommended by a couple of reliable people. The one thing he told me, though, is that the cost of his services only really makes sense with vintage speakers of some intrinsic value. Chane Audio - Contact Us

If you have the technical capability to learn reconing yourself, I bet you'd have a string of waiting customers once you got good at it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts