The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a peavey triple X cab. I'm pretty much not allowed to sell it, and i want to put new speakers in it when i have the money.

Now, i was thinking V30's.. then people were throwing around nasty terms like "mid spike" - i heard a JSX with a recto cab, and it sounded pretty good and not satchy to me. i havent used my head with any other cab though (yes, this IS a problem).

so i was thinking "hm, what about WGS CL80 clones?". but here's the thing:

Is it possible to get 4 speakers that warm up my clean channel.. and still give me crazy sweet metal distortion, which i can back off to accomodate other things (like overdrive, and some punk)? I like the JSX's tone and all, but I want it to be more mine then his, if that makes any sense. the "satchness" adds some djent to it, but i would still like a tone that is ultimately recognizeable as Mine. The current setup sounds fine for recording, i dont know about live use (new tubes and TS since i last played).

Or should i go ahead and save up for the CL80's, and look for PAF-style pickups to warm up the clean channel? the LP stays stock, the tokai has been getting far more action - it's currently looking at the JB/'59 swap. The current pickups seem to be lower output, they have a very "open" sound to them which i find good for the metal-esque music im playing (at times), i know that the JB/59 setup is rather common.

sorry for all those brackets and whatnot, but I'm trying to tweak my rig, for minimal $$, to get what i want from it :p. unemployed, in college, and upgrading my rig.. go figure!

THANKS!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had great results with my V30 loaded Mesa. The mids that V30's give aren't piercing or raw sounding, they're very fat sounding mids. Which compliments the JSX.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I love v30's, but a half and half mix with G12H30's can be a bit more versatile.

As for pickups I'd get Jon Moore to wind you up a set if you want PAF's. His pickups sound noticably better than the Duncans (which aren't bad) and his prices are very reasonable (I think its $80 per pickup).

http://www.tonefordays.com/html/pickups.html

I have a set of his V59's and they are the best PAF clones I've ever heard (I also have a Les Paul Studio) I'd also recommend putting in a set of 500K pots and a good set of caps if you can afford it. The Mojo prewired kits are about $80.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=11508&pg=92721&id=2113384-1

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I love v30's, but a half and half mix with G12H30's can be a bit more versatile.

As for pickups I'd get Jon Moore to wind you up a set if you want PAF's. His pickups sound noticably better than the Duncans (which aren't bad) and his prices are very reasonable (I think its $80 per pickup).

http://www.tonefordays.com/html/pickups.html

I have a set of his V59's and they are the best PAF clones I've ever heard (I also have a Les Paul Studio) I'd also recommend putting in a set of 500K pots and a good set of caps if you can afford it. The Mojo prewired kits are about $80.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=11508&pg=92721&id=2113384-1
Great video to change out a 335 preassembly

thanks

I

·
0 Posts
I'll third the V30 choice...especially if you want a warmer clean channel. I find a WHG V30 in my Koch is almost too dark on the clean channel; there's no pop and snap to the WHG V30, it's all smmmooooothed out. Sounded fantastic on the overdrive channel, very much like the Celestion V30s in the Mesa 2x12 rectifier cab I used to own. But I missed the snap and air on my clean channel so it's back to the Jensen and the V30 is going into a 1x12 extension cab.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well the v30 clones never did much for me and I have tried and tried and tried.. they definitely have tight bass but for me it does not sound as full as the g12h30. It has a bit of a high end cutting which annoyed my ears too. Maybe its just me, but you seem to have already heard them and liked them so all the power to ya. I think they might have to be played extremely loud..just like a g12h30. The higher these go, the less high end crying I hear.. or maybe mine are just breaking in!

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all of the tips guys. i am thinking about doign G12H30's and V30's.

i have 2 cabs, maybe i will experiment hahaha. again, many thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yup, just like the sound clips... those damn g12h30's are fizzy and harsh when they start. Mine are slowly and i mean very slowly breaking in. the harshness is still there but less soo... great bass response and best cleans. The greenback is nicer though, fuller in the recording.

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh im sure i can open up the JSX when no-one's home and break the speakers in :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts