The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next couple of months. I'll be changing the speakers in a couple of amps.

The first is Gibson GA-5 RI. Very similar to a Tweed Champ, but grittier and breaks up earlier. Has an EL84 instead of a 6V6. The Goldtone speaker is actually a Weber Signature 8S ($24 US). Got that piece of info straight from the horse's mouth. (Ted Weber). I was thinking going with one of three Weber speakers (when it comes to 4 ohm 8" speakers Weber has the only wide selections of choices)

This amp is nice, but it starts to break up around 9:30 and by 10:00 it's in overdrive. I'm going to change tubes, starting with a 5751 in place of the 12AX7. I'll go to 12A_7 if needed. I'd like to get more power tube OD. So would this matter much with any of the following speakers?

There is the 8F-125-0 it is described as or late BF and all SF Champs with 8" speaker, and to replace Oxfords and vintage Chicago Jensens. 8", 30oz ceramic magnet, 20 watts, 1-1/4" voice coil, straight cone. Warm, crunchy, early breakup, aggressive. Louder and more aggressive than the 8F100 due to the larger magnet and voice coil. Will not fit in tweed and early BF Champs.

Then there is the 8F-125. For late BF and all SF Champs with 8" speaker and to replace vintage Chicago Jensen and Oxford 8" speakers for a much louder and much more aggressive tone. 8", 30oz ceramic magnet, 20 or 30 watts, 1-1/4" voice coil, ribbed cone. Loud as heck for an 8", aggressive, bright, later breakup. Will not fit in tweed and early BF Champs.

Lastly there is 8F-125T. For replacement of vintage Chicago Jensen P8R, P8Q, C8R, and other 8" applications. 8", 30oz Ceramic magnet, 20 or 30 watts, 1-1/4" voice coil, ribbed cone. Bright, detailed, later breaker. Very loud and aggressive for an 8" speaker. Will not fit in tweed and early BF Champs.

I admit I like warm and crunchy, but I would rather it start around 1:30 and peak at 3:00 (If I want it earlier, at a lower volume I can use a tube screamer). In other words, I trying to make it a cleaner tweed, but still a tweed.

Also, does it matter if it is 20 or 30 watts.

Thanks,... ...Robert

P.S. The speakers will fit - I've measured.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.