The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions.
Anybody ever buy cables from Prime Cables? Based out of Montreal and seem pretty reasonable. Haven't checked shipping quote though.

Also, could I just grab some 14-16 gauge speaker wire and put ts ends on and be good to go?

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
There's plenty of places in TO to get speaker cable; don't pay for shipping from Montreal.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. It's in my basement but where I would like to have the mixer in relation to the speakers, by the time you run the cable around the perimeter of a room 25' disappears pretty fast.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
That link is not for speaker cables. Or was that a separate question?
Just a bit of a warning that manufacturers can cut a lot of costs by using cheap plugs. And when handling power, like speaker cables, you do not want cheap plugs.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that I can use the speakon connectors but I am just using the 1/4" TS.

In the listing I posted under details it says it is a speaker cable. Is there something that is wrong with it? I just want to be clear.
When I first picked up my PA all the different cables were a bit of a study. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Speaker cable has two equal conductors running in parallel, like a lamp cord. Sometimes this pair is inside a sheath, making it look like one round cable instead of a molded-together pair (so you have to look inside the sheath to be sure).

Audio cable has a central conductor that is surrounded by an insulator and then a braid of meshed wired all around the insulator. The central conductor and shield are the +ve and -ve of the signal. The braid works as an RF shield, keeping high frequency interference from getting to the central conductor, which has a much, much lower signal than a speaker cable would (and is thus more likely to have interference induced into it).

And as jb said, don't cut costs on connectors. With tube amp speaker cables, an open or a short cct can be very hard on your equipment, killing tubes and OT's. Even solid state amps are at risk with a short cct. That's when you find out that transistors are full of smoke - because when you let the smoke out, they quit working.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
In the listing I posted under details it says it is a speaker cable.
I don't see that anywhere? It shows a shielded cable and gives a description of it.
Is there a glitch in the website? Can you post a screen shot of where you see 'speaker cable' in that link?

·
Premium Member
18,957 Posts
I have also bought these on sale in 14 or 16 guage.
Chopped off the ends and put 1/4" TS plugs on them.
The (3rd) green wire is just left unconnected.
As you know, you can also get these in some wild colours...yellow, orange, blue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.