The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the effect of speaker cable on the overall tone of an amp?

I've noticed the differences between different types of speaker wire with my home audio hi-fi system, but the speaker wire runs are quite long (3 meters). With my guitar amp, we're looking at maybe 1-2 feet of speaker cable between my heads and the cabs.

What are your opinions? Will it make a big difference with such short lengths if I upgrade to high-end (Cardas, Van de Hul and the like) speaker wire?

Thanks for any input!:thanks5qx:

·
Registered
76 Posts
cable

At that short length, the difference may be measureable, but they won't be audible.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
personally, I don't find a huge difference even in home theatre...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Wire guage and distance are the basic factors, the longer the run the bigger the guage. In a short distance 10' or less there is no way you could see any difference other than with test meters. For cabs just about any cable would do, silver wire seems to be preferred.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
You must use expensive wire and only buy it from me...

Speaker wire is just a resistance in series with the actual speaker, as far as the amp can see. Most short runs can be made with dual 18 ga. "lamp cord" style wiring. If you need to make long runs like on a concert stage you might want to bump up to 16 ga but if you look up the resistance of that gauge of wire you'll quickly see that the resistance of the wire will still be VERY small compared to the speaker load. The real worry is that if you pump high power into small gauge wire you will have high losses and maybe even burn the wire out. IMHO, tone differences are just hype and mojo.

It's interesting that Celestion started offering 16 ohm speakers years ago so that the wire resistance would be an even smaller part of the total load to the amp.

What difference does this have on tone? What difference would putting a half ohm or less resistor in series with your speaker have to what you can hear?

The only area we seem to hear about speaker wire affecting tone is with audiophiles, where few customers have a technical background. Rarely do we hear from a techie about speaker wire and those few times we do he always seems to be making a buck on it!

Still, it's your money. Myself, if I ever conned some customer into special speaker wire I'd be more ashamed of myself than if I had been a Liberal on the take with Adscam...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. Basically it confirms what I thought, so I won't be spending the extra bucks to pick up "audiophile-grade" speaker wire.

:rockon:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts