The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some bad tone issues with my setup. I have a Celestion G12V type in my 1X12 combo amp and a Warehouse G12 c/s in cabinet that I plug in to the extension. While playing out live I'm getting this ugly mid frequency tone that is on the verge of feedback. I've done everything I can to dial it out. Sometimes it sound ok but mostly it doesn't. Alone the Warehouse speaker sounds fantastic. the Celestion alone sounds pretty good to but you can tell thats where the mid frequency is coming from.
I place the combo on top of the warehouse cabinet. So I was thinking of putting the Warehouse speaker in the combo and putting the celestion in the cabinet. This way the Celestion will be on the bottom. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this might make a difference? If it doesn't work I'll look at replacing the Celestion with something that pairs better with the other speaker. But I was hoping maybe if I had that Celestion in a cabinet sitting on the floor it might change how the whole speaker matching sounds.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the cabinets different or identical?
I guess for the most part the same. I'm not sure what differences other than the combo cabinet houses the amp\tubes, etc and is made by David Allen. The extension cabinet made by Derrick Bell. They're both open back.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Moving them higher or lower may help the sound where you stand but I guarantee 15' away you'll have the same tone youre trying to dial out right up in someones face.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
The one thing that may vary, even 15' away, is the bass response. The lower speaker has a bit more interaction with the floor (boundary effect) and a more (or less) bassy speaker may cause more (or less) bass to be accentuated. It's a free mod so it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
The simple answer is: You won't know until you try it. Theorizing on a possible outcome doesn't really help in this case so you just need to do it to see what actually happens. I sincerely hope it works out. :)

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one thing that may vary, even 15' away, is the bass response. The lower speaker has a bit more interaction with the floor (boundary effect) and a more (or less) bassy speaker may cause more (or less) bass to be accentuated. It's a free mod so it's worth a try.
Yes I'm hoping that it will somehow change, maybe give it a bit more low mids and make it sound more pleasant. Guess I'll have to try it.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Start with the Warehouse cab on top of the combo.
I figure I may as well just put the Warehouse speaker in the combo cabinet to get the speaker on top. If changing the speakers doesn't work it will be the Celestion I get rid of and the Warehouse will stay in the combo anyway.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still worth trying I guess. If the Warehouse is better, do you really need two speakers? Try them side by side?
When I tried the warehouse speaker alone it really did sound pretty good and big. So maybe I won't need 2 speakers. But for bigger gigs I do like 2x12. The Warehouse speaker gives me more of a traditional black face sound which is the direction I want to go. So if the Celestion doesn't work out maybe an additional Warehouse speaker or find something that more compliments the Warehouse speaker.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Let us know how it works out.

Try them side by side too. Tilting them up is nice (if they can't fall). Get them off the floor on a chair or stand. Even a bigger space betweem them might do something, as open backs are very interactive with the air around them. Both a good and bad thing. Put a piece of foam or something in the cab behind the offending speaker.

I like the idea of the two Warehouse speakers because it involves getting more gear. LOL. Maybe a second amp for the second cab!!!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let us know how it works out.

Try them side by side too. Tilting them up is nice (if they can't fall). Get them off the floor on a chair or stand. Even a bigger space betweem them might do something, as open backs are very interactive with the air around them. Both a good and bad thing. Put a piece of foam or something in the cab behind the offending speaker.

I like the idea of the two Warehouse speakers because it involves getting more gear. LOL. Maybe a second amp for the second cab!!!
I usually like the idea of more gear but I'm trying to simplify my amp set up and I'm saving my money for an additional expensive guitar.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Is there any chance they are wired out of phase? It doesn't sound like the problem is that severe, but might as well mention it.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there any chance they are wired out of phase? It doesn't sound like the problem is that severe, but might as well mention it.
I thought of that cause thats actually what it sounded like to me. However when I got the derrick bell cab I followed the instructions to put the positive on the marked terminal. Is it possible they could still be out of phase? Would it hurt to switch the wires on one to see if it makes a difference?

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember years ago when I took a 2X12 combo amp to Wild Bill to work on. He did something to make the speakers jump to make sure they were moving together and in phase. I can't think of what that was but is there a way I can check the phase of the speakers rather than by ear?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I hate the mid spike of the Vintage 30 (is that the Celestion you're using?). If the WGS speaker sounds great, I'd just get another of those for the extension cab.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts