The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having their annual garage sale Feb 11-12. Never been to it so don't know what they put in the sale.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Would love to check that out. I'm in Ottawa on business four or five times a year. I usually stay downtown at the Delta. The business is out at Landsdowne. Was finished early one day last spring. It was a beautiful day so I decided to walk back to the hotel. Happened upon Spaceman Music along the way. What a great store. Spent well over an hour looking at everything and talking guitars with the staff. They had a lot of very cool gear there. Almost bought a guitar but in the end decided it would be a hassle on the plane.

·
Administrator
548 Posts
I think I'll drop by. I haven't been there in ages. They did a repair and full set up on my old Norman acoustic, and it came out of the shop playing better than it did in 25 years.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
stopped there a few years back...sold a garnet reverb to one of the guys working there.... seemed like a cool store with pretty fair prices

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have also been there once when visiting Mike Sankey to pick up wonderful guitar in my avatar that he made. the store was really nice as well as salesmen there. Mike also said that they are great store.

Nice website too

enjoy the sale!

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
Its a mixture of gear from speaker cabs missing parts, pedals that might need repairs, guitars that need a bit of TLC, guitar strings etc... Worth going over on Saturday. I am gonna try and be there early this year.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
The Long&MCquade sale items are now posted.

The Ottawa store is pitiful while the Kanata store has lots available.

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
I've gotten some real deals at previous Spaceman garage sales. Some of it is fully-functioning stock that simply didn't move, some is stuff that needs only very minor repairs, and some is stuff that needs serious work. Prices are adjusted accordingly.

Last year I picked up a Fender Champion 110 amp (essentially a Frontman 25R) for $25 that simply needed an input jack replaced, and an older MXR Micro Flanger for $15 that needed a bottom plate and a serious cleaning (decomposed foam, but sounds and works great), and a Yamaha Overdrive for $10 that needed nothing but a willing home.

I won't be able to attend on Saturday, since I'll be overseeing sale of part of a late friend's estate, but may drop by on Sunday....not that I expect much to be left by then. Part of what helps me to exercise self-restraint at the Spaceman sales is just how much stuff my friend left behind for his widow to sell and clear out. Reminds me to curtail my acquisitiveness.

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
I've gotten some real deals at previous Spaceman garage sales. Some of it is fully-functioning stock that simply didn't move, some is stuff that needs only very minor repairs, and some is stuff that needs serious work. Prices are adjusted accordingly.

Last year I picked up a Fender Champion 110 amp (essentially a Frontman 25R) for $25 that simply needed an input jack replaced, and an older MXR Micro Flanger for $15 that needed a bottom plate and a serious cleaning (decomposed foam, but sounds and works great), and a Yamaha Overdrive for $10 that needed nothing but a willing home.

I won't be able to attend on Saturday, since I'll be overseeing sale of part of a late friend's estate, but may drop by on Sunday....not that I expect much to be left by then. Part of what helps me to exercise self-restraint at the Spaceman sales is just how much stuff my friend left behind for his widow to sell and clear out. Reminds me to curtail my acquisitiveness.
Sorry to hear about your friend Mark. Hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
Thanks. He's been gone about 6 years now. But he left a LOT of stuff behind. Enough to completely replicate the Spaceman Garage Sale. Indeed, we would often run into each there over lunch hour. I gather weekends were reserved for frequenting the former Retrotown and Used Sound stores. :D We've sold off most of the big ticket items, and now we're down to the smaller stuff. The owner of The Turning Point came by a few weeks ago and dropped several thousand dollars on albums and DVDs, many of which he recalled selling to my friend years earlier. Sold off a lovely Matsumoku-made Westone guitar to a guy on the weekend who usedto have one in his band days, sold it, and has been regretting it ever since. The look on his face when he cradled his long lost love was worth paying him for.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Spaceman, eh?
Wonder if theres any relation...

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
Heh heh. Actually Spaceman is the former Songbird outlet here in town. I guess when the Toronto mothership on Queen St. folded, the guys in the branch here, bought this branch, renamed it, and appear to have made a go of it.

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
Heh heh. Actually Spaceman is the former Songbird outlet here in town. I guess when the Toronto mothership on Queen St. folded, the guys in the branch here, bought this branch, renamed it, and appear to have made a go of it.
Yep, pretty much what you said Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
To tell you the truth Jay, i didnt see anything really specific. Nothing for me.
Maybe Mark Hammer can chime in as he spent more time in there.

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
Great to bump into our very own Mark Hammer at the sale this morning.
The pleasure was all mine, buddy. :)

If it had been my first rodeo, I probably would have gotten more stuff. But I have more than enough small amplifiers, thank you very much. The only thing I picked up was a Casio MT-30 keyboard from the early 80s. I bought an MT-10 back in 81 or 82, and sent away (back when you had to do that sort of thing) to a guy in Australia who had put together a document on modding the MT-10, MT-30, and a few other early Casiotones. I modded my MT-10 and quite liked it (great grinding polyphonic organ tone; hold a chord and it sounds like it's going through a slow flanger). The MT-30 was supposed to have slightly better quality sound (greater resolution of the digital oscillators), but a few additional tones and options made available with a couple of toggle switches. Another one for the retirement pile. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts