The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for decent sources for DVDs? Canadian sources would be preferred, but American sources will do.

There are some DVDs I want but the prices on Amazon.ca are stupid. I tried to order from Amazon.com but, even though it said on each DVD's page that it shipped to my address, when I tried to check out I got an error message saying that they didn't ship to my address.

So unless Amazon's customer service can resolve this, I am hoping to find another source.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Which TV show are you looking for?

I remember there was a good store called MyMusic or something but I think it closed.

Some shows, networks and production companies have their own online stores.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
is it possible that you have never heard of AMAZON.CA ?
try it, you may like it.
G.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Sometimes local specialty music/head shops might be able to help you out with imports.

They might totally try to gouge you, but it's worth a try finding out.

My mom listens to a lot of hard to find traditional music and I've gone that route getting Christmas gifts for her.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which TV show are you looking for?

I remember there was a good store called MyMusic or something but I think it closed.

Some shows, networks and production companies have their own online stores.

Right now I am looking for NYPD Blue (season 6 and above), but there will be others as well.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I emailed Amazon.com customer service and received a barely intelligible reply asking that I call them and speak to them directly so that they can work out the problem while I am on the phone. I will do so in a little while and will report back.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After spending a stupid amount of time on hold with both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca I got through to someone who tried to figure out the problem. Unfortunately, she couldn't.

On the page for each DVD it clearly says that they ship to Canada, but when checking out it gives an error message. These are being shipped by Amazon, not some third party seller, so there shouldn't be an issue. She tried to order them to be shipped to Amazon's Canadian offices but got the same error message saying they couldn't do that. She is escalating the issue and will email me once there is an update, but that will likely take 3-5 days.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
why the hell do you insist on paying for 20 yr old tv shows? p2p that stuff and keep you money in your pocket.
sadly for canada, you cannot use ultraviolet or vudu. as one who previously had a pretty decent library of movies, i will never bother to own physical media again. there is a better way...as long as your not in canada.

·
Premium Member
16,634 Posts
I don't understand it, but I hope you find a solution for it :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
When I buy expensive things from the U.S. I use a parcel pickup service.

You have the stuff shipped to an address, say in Niagara Falls, NY. You go and pick up the packages there and bring them over the border yourself. You get the free shipping most places offer in the U.S., you pay the parcel pickup company $5 per package. You don't get dinged by the UPS brokerage scam.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
Because I want to complete my collection.
I've had good luck with a local mom-n-pop video rental place. Yes, they are still out there if you look. They still get new stuff in and are slowly getting rid of stock (hard to believe, I know .....) and I've had good luck completing a few collections.

I prefer physical media to pirating sometimes, even if just for the better quality.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm also wondering why?! DVD's go bad you know, they do deteriorate over time. I have some old ones that have just stopped working and they look perfect. It is also known to happen to video games, and you can even buy insurance for it at the game stores. Some ancient US data banks still use magnetic tape machines to store sensitive data as they degrade over 50 or more years rather than risk failures. They don't go digital for some information and keep an air gap for security.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts