The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a source for good tolex in Canada?

Some metal cab corners would be nice too.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
Bad news... Steamco is closing up shop. I only placed one order with them, but had plans for more since I just started a side business building cabs. Sad to see them go!

Does anyone in Canada supply tolex? Loudspeakers.ca leads to qcomponents, but neither has any mention of tolex. I've been to Fabricland, Rockland Textiles, and other local fabric places but haven't found anything suitable.

*EDIT 2016: :D Since this post we have grown into Canada's largest, fastest growing, and most diverse parts supplier! Dozens of varieties of tolex and tweed available. Visit our website for details:
Canada's #1 Source For Parts - Next Gen Guitars

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
Not very many places to get tolex in Canada. I'm considering keeping some tolex in bulk stock to sell through the online store (when it launches).

*EDIT 2016: :D Since this post we have grown into Canada's largest, fastest growing, and most diverse parts supplier! Dozens of varieties of tolex and tweed available. Visit our website for details:

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
So, where's the best to buy hardware?(corners,handles, jack plate & such)
Tubesandmore wanted UPS shipping & I'm not doing the double duty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -& All Round Nice Guy.

·
Premium Member
5,153 Posts
So, where's the best to buy hardware?(corners,handles, jack plate & such)
Tubesandmore wanted UPS shipping & I'm not doing the double duty!
I use Tubes & More (Antique Electronics supply) quite a bit and they always ship USPS to me. Are you buying something really large or heavy? Orders come quick, a week to 10 days max.

This place has some good stuff too with free shipping in Canada http://stores.ebay.ca/stmmusicgear?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
No tolex but they have grill cloth and amp corners & stuff

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I use Tubes & More (Antique Electronics supply) quite a bit and they always ship USPS to me.
No, not big or heavy some corners,feet & handles. A $65 order with $35+ shipping USPS? Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
5,153 Posts
No, not big or heavy some corners,feet & handles. A $65 order with $35+ shipping USPS? Is that normal?
I have a feeling that's pretty standard. The order I just got was $125 - 31 small items in a box about 6"x6"x6" and it was $36.26 shipping. If it's more that will fit in an envelope, it's almost always a set price.

After looking forever I found the "sticker" I wanted for the rear panel of a Vibrochamp at Mojo. Their minimum shipping to Canada cost seems to be $75.00. I didn't get my sticker :(

I just did a $68 order from these guys and shipping was only $18.00 http://www.ebay.ca/usr/newoldsound

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
I'll ask again, since we're on a second page... We'll be launching our website by the end of the summer and we're considering selling tolex, grill cloth, and cab hardware; along with offering our custom cab building service. However, we'll only put in the investment to keep hardware in stock if there is a legitimate interest. Base prices would be comparable to the common US suppliers but shipping would be much cheaper because we're in Canada.

Are you all happy with ordering your stuff from the states or would you like another Canadian distributor?

·
Premium Member
5,153 Posts
Are you all happy with ordering your stuff from the states or would you like another Canadian distributor?
I always shop Canadian first. Tolex, grill cloth, corners, glides, chassis straps, handles, speakers, etc. If I can get those things here in Canada, I will. Specially larger items like speakers & tolex that cost extra to ship from the US.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try http://qcomponents.ca/home.php
They have some cab hardware (feet, corners, handles, etc). More expensive than ordering from the US, but way better shipping fees because they are a Canadian company (Waterloo, ON).

I'll ask again, since we're on a second page... We'll be launching our website by the end of the summer and we're considering selling tolex, grill cloth, and cab hardware; along with offering our custom cab building service. However, we'll only put in the investment to keep hardware in stock if there is a legitimate interest. Base prices would be comparable to the common US suppliers but shipping would be much cheaper because we're in Canada.

Yes, I would buy tolex and grill cloth off of you right now.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
We'll be launching our website by the end of the summer and we're considering selling tolex, grill cloth, and cab hardware; along with offering our custom cab building service. However, we'll only put in the investment to keep hardware in stock if there is a legitimate interest. Base prices would be comparable to the common US suppliers but shipping would be much cheaper because we're in Canada.
I've had a ton of great responses to this idea, but sadly it just isn't feasible for us right now. Even though we can order it at a discount, the shipping kills us and there's no way we can keep the prices low enough to make it worth while for potential customers. Maybe with some growth we'll revisit the idea, but for now it is just not happening.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. :(

·
Premium Member
5,153 Posts
I've had a ton of great responses to this idea, but sadly it just isn't feasible for us right now. Even though we can order it at a discount, the shipping kills us and there's no way we can keep the prices low enough to make it worth while for potential customers. Maybe with some growth we'll revisit the idea, but for now it is just not happening.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up. :(
No problem, thanks for looking into it for us. Anyone who's paid to have tolex shipped up here from the States completely understands what you're saying. Even if you got a large enough discount to cover the required markup, there's no discount on shipping.

Good luck with your new business, hope everything goes ultra well for you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I know Ive seen some decent looking hardware (cab corners, handles, etc) at a1 electronic surplus in etobicoke/toronto. No tolex though but almost everything else

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
Out of curiosity... What are the 4 or 5 most desired types/colors of tolex?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts