The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.....I have a vintage Silvertone neck (from a 63 amp in case guitar) with a nasty neck break.

It has been repaired for a couple of years but it has pretty much destroyed the finish on the headstock face.
The old silvertone/danelectro style finish was insanely large metal flake, it looks like metal shavings.

Im not looking to reproduce that exactly, just looking for a good metal flake.
Im sure there has to be something in duplicolour (acrylic laquer, available at Canadian tire) but I don't know the colour codes - they are car colours, all manufacturer specific.

Anybody know what duplicolour would be a dark grey or black metal flake?
Or should I be looking in a different direction?

Thanks

Nathan

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
dark gray metallic would be anthracite. I would look at Krylon Paints. They have metallics and shimmers

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
then you will have to two step it. Stewmac sells black lacquer and gold and silver. Base coat black lite spray silver or golf flake on top

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
NAPA, or any other place that deals in automotive finishes. They can mix any colour that was available on any car (where most guitar finish colours come from anyway) and will even put it in a spray bomb if you want.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NAPA, or any other place that deals in automotive finishes. They can mix any colour that was available on any car (where most guitar finish colours come from anyway) and will even put it in a spray bomb if you want.
Oh good call!
Thanks Jim!

Nathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts