The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd give everybody a heads-up on this website. They have loads of IRs from Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Fender, Ampeg and many others and they're all completely free. Here's the main website:

Soundwoofer, Free Impulse responses and Impulse response library

And here's their top 20 list of the most downloaded IRs:

Top 20 list - Soundwoofer blog

There are also some videos on the front page explaining why they're making these freely available. To find more IRs just click on the "Library" link. Have fun.:)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I will definitely check these out. Thanks for the info. Have you tried any of these? Just wondering if they are of high quality.

TG

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
"Free" got my attention. Then I wondered if impulse response was me driving by Timmie's. Now I'll have to satisfy my curiosity and see what an ir really is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will definitely check these out. Thanks for the info. Have you tried any of these? Just wondering if they are of high quality.

TG
Most of the ones you find in the main library section are recorded in a studio.

The quality is immaculate and you can actually listen to the impulse responses yourself on the webpage in our neat little sampler

If you want a ready made sound that is already mixed and ready to rock, check out our mixpulses

How does a person separate the homemade ir's from the commercially made ones?
If a "homemade" ir is recorded the right way, you can't
Here is a screenshot from when we recorded our first batch way back and I am holding a DIY isolation shield.
Those impulses are still some of the best ones we got.

This is why we have extensive guides on how to make Impulses yourselves, our hope is to teach people to do it and that they share their recordings in the library.

Rock on
Soundwoofer

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

TG
Yes, I tried the Fender impulse the other night and it sounded very good. I haven't tried some of the others yet but I'm sure they'll be just as good.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of the ones you find in the main library section are recorded in a studio.

The quality is immaculate and you can actually listen to the impulse responses yourself on the webpage in our neat little sampler

If you want a ready made sound that is already mixed and ready to rock, check out our mixpulses

If a "homemade" ir is recorded the right way, you can't
Here is a screenshot from when we recorded our first batch way back and I am holding a DIY isolation shield.
Those impulses are still some of the best ones we got.

This is why we have extensive guides on how to make Impulses yourselves, our hope is to teach people to do it and that they share their recordings in the library.

Rock on
Soundwoofer
Thanks for dropping by Marcus. As I said to traynor garnet, I tried the Fender impulse and it sounded very good and I'll be checking out the other impulses I downloaded later in the week. Also, thanks for making these freely available to guitarists and bassists everywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for dropping by Marcus. As I said to traynor garnet, I tried the Fender impulse and it sounded very good and I'll be checking out the other impulses I downloaded later in the week. Also, thanks for making these freely available to guitarists and bassists everywhere.
My friend told me about Impulse responses in februari 2018 and I instantly realised that this was a thing that was made for an open-source solution, so, here we are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Marcus Hermansson thanks for the work. I will investigate the bass cab options.
Here are a few favourite rigs;
Ampeg classic 2x15"
12 impulses from 12 different microphones

Mesa powerhouse 8x10" (1200 watts baby)
12 impulses from 12 different microphones

3 premade mixes with the Mesa Powerhouse
The mixes use all 12 microphones combined into one single file, these mixes are actually used by Andreas on tour. Instead of bringing his 80kg cabinet, he brings the Impulses from it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sample player upgrade

Soundwoofers' impulse response library have a built-in sample player, a feature that allows users to listen to the IR:s in action, live in their browser.
This player has just received a major upgrade, registered users can now upload their sample to the player, play it trough the impulses directly in the browser and find impulse responses that sound good for their specific track.

Getting started

Keep in mind that the samples uploaded to the library must be recorded in a special way (without a cabinet), here is a guide on how to do that.

Custom samples are uploaded (or replaced) in the profile page.

After which the custom sample is available in the 'Select genre'-dropdown list and users can go hunting for the sound that suits their needs.

Register a free account here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts