The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my Marshall’s has a strange issue in that it sounded amazing at the store when I got it and sounds horrible at home. I took it to a local shop to have a tech look at it, thinking possible microphonic tube but I could not replicate the sound-it sounded amazing again. Took it home and again, crappy! A friend took it to his house and said it sounded great.

It sounds great on the Low E, A and D string but on the G and B and high E, it almost sounds like I’m fretting the notes right on the fret, rather than between the frets. That’s the weird over tone I’m getting.

I initially tried a different outlet/room and when that didn’t work, I tried a power conditioner and that didn’t help either. Any suggestions? I’m assuming it’s my house because it doesn’t do this anywhere else. I’ve tried different guitars (Les Pauls, Strats) and they all sound the same through this amp. Although, the single coils sound better that the humbuckers. On my deluxe strat it sounds okay but when I engage the S1 switch it gets worse.

Thanks in advance...

p.s. all of my other amps sound good at home.

G

·
What is the size and type of room? Is it in every room in your house? Change your room acoustics and see.

Check your power with a meter and see if it is low, high or fluctuating.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you check the voltage at the wall socket?
Not yet, I can’t find my multi meter so I have to go grab a new one. Amp sounded crappy upstairs too. *#*(

Along with voltage, check that the outlets you are using were wired correctly. Any crappy tire should have a receptacle Polarity tester for cheap.

Eclipse Tools 400-029 Receptacle Tester - Standard Outlets

I've seen so many cases where a wanna-be electrician made full use of his imagination in order to get the job done.
Thanks for the link, I’ll grab one of those as well. Our house was built in the 90’s but a lot DIY work done. I’ve been trying to get electricians into the house as I have a few outlets and electric baseboard heaters that aren’t functioning. Unfortunately, I kept procrastinating....now it’s affecting my tone so time to make the call. Lol

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tested the outlets and they all came back correct (green light) so I moved onto checking the voltage. First outlet I checked was 104.6 so I figured I had found the issue. I then went and checked a bunch of the outlets I actually use for my amps and they all came in at 117 which I assume is close enough to 120 to rule out as the problem.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
If you have noise on the AC line, the voltage will measure correct, and the tester will give a green light. Anything different in your house or in the neighbourhood that could be putting noise on the AC line?
And monitor that 117V you checked while you are playing. If it is dropping to 104V or something while you are playing, you may have a wiring fault in your house.
Also, don't be afraid to give it a thump with the palm of your hand or a rubber mallet, in case there is some intermittent connection. And if it has an FX loop, put a patch cord between the send & return jacks (or sometimes called pre-out & power amp in).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts