The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Soundhole cover / feedback suppressor - any advice?

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Mooh 
#1 ·
Is anyone using a soundhole cover to reduce feedback in a live setting?

Any experiences to share - good or bad?

Any particular models that have worked well for you?

Random photo from web for clarification purposes only...

Guitar Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Acoustic guitar

See less See more
#3 ·
You need a cover of you're going to be playing at louder volumes. I don't use one for low-volume gigs like coffee shops, etc. You'll need one if there are drums on the stage though. Bear in mind that if you have any controls in the soundhole you'll need to trim the cover appropriately.

#4 ·
Well, I am surprised you did not have more answers...
I have a pre-phase inversion device with K&K pure classic.
I kind of remind some electronic filter may help, but I cannot say more...
(I would suggest you search about "feedback" on the forum).

#7 ·
Thankfully, I've never had to use one, and I've played a (relatively) big venue without issue. My worry, it must affect to sound of the guitar...no? Wouldn't it deaden to overall tone?

#11 ·
I use one when all else fails to suppress feedback. I do have a couple of guitars with soundhole pickups which seem to be less susceptible than the K&K equiped ones. I keep the soundhole plugs in my gig kit, ready to go.

Yamaha and Planet Waves both market decent ones and if you have a smaller soundhole like on a classical guitar, Cordoba markets a nice one.

Or you could fill your guitar with expanding foam. I witnessed a guy's guitar blow up this way, but it worked for half a set before it did.

#18 ·
Saran Wrap?!?!?! Where?? A couple bunched up balls stuffed in the dark recesses of the guitar, or over the sound hole?? How does it stay without having to wrap it around the guitar a few times? Seriously, I gotta know!

#19 ·
The band leader of my last cover band used duct tape. It worked but looked a little less than pretty, which kind of fit with the band, we worked but looked a little less than pretty.

I have a nice Moon flattop mandolin with a relatively tiny sound hole. A rag stuffed in the hole works fine most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.