The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my niece's place last night and she had 2 SONOS speakers connected to her cell phone. I was a pretty cool system. I've wanted something new for awhile. They are a bit pricey at $500 for 2. Does anyone have any experience with SONOS? A couple of other opinions would be helpful before making a decision.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I have one. It sounds good.
It's not a regular Bluetooth speaker, it connects to your wifi, and you need Apple Music or Spotify to use it.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I have speakers called Bluesound. Even more pricey, but they sound quite a bit better than SONOS.

If you're just going to be playing music via Bluetooth off your phone you won't hear much of that difference. However if your phone's music library is on a computer on your network, you can use your phone (and a free app) to play the library files with less processing. Most of my music has been stored in Apple Lossless format files and it sounds noticeably better on the Bluesound speakers.

Apple Music or Spotify aren't required, but they can be used through the Bluesound app. So can a variety of other streaming services, including a free one included in the app which lets us play at least hundreds, maybe thousands, of radio stations from around the world. A Spotify-like service called Tidal can also be subscribed, and it offers most of its ~25 million songs in lossless format and therefore also sounds very good.

Again, though, if you're planning just to stream over Bluetooth you won't hear much of the benefits of Bluesound. It shines when you can play your music over wi-fi or ethernet on your network.

Home - Bluesound

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
boyscout can you explain what Apple lossless is never heard of it
Apple's iTunes software lets you select one of a number of file storage formats when you're ripping your CDs. Several of them perform varying degrees of compression on the music (to save file space) that can slightly or noticeably affect the sound of the music when you play it back. I don't know the technical details but Apple Lossless avoids most of the compression and its sound-quality cost, but at the expense of huge files. Most of my song files are 25Mb to 35Mb in size.

I did a Google on "apple lossless files" and the following is one of the hits; you can find many others.

Kirkville - The ABCs of Lossless Music Files

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have 6 Sonos speakers throughout my house which allowed me to eliminate my wired speakers. Been using Sonos for the past 3-4 years and I'm very happy with them. They connect to your Wi-Fi network not Bluetooth. You can download the Sonos app and control each one individually or all together. You can also listen to different programs on each speaker if you want to or group a couple of different programs onto specific speakers so you could listen to talk radio play through specific speakers while also listening to music through another group or single speaker(s). Very flexible!

You can use a third party app for online radio stations if you like or use the Sonos app to access them.

TD

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I was at my niece's place last night and she had 2 SONOS speakers connected to her cell phone. I was a pretty cool system. I've wanted something new for awhile. They are a bit pricey at $500 for 2. Does anyone have any experience with SONOS? A couple of other opinions would be helpful before making a decision.
A few of my friends have Sonos systems (of varying levels of complexity/usage), and all of them are quite happy with making the switch over to the Sonos system. They seem really cool, and I definitely want a few myself!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very helpful thanks everyone. Best Buy has them at $199 a piece. They also have them with Alexa feature ($249)which I think I will pass on.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
thank you will look more into them right now my sony system which is wireless to a degree is okay but my junction box's need to be plugged in and the rear speakers are wired

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have 6 Sonos Play1's, one Sonos Play 5, the Sonos Sub and the Playbar for my tv. They are great speakers, but beware they are addictive :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts