The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use two different amps at home, A Gibson GA-5 LP RI and a Roland Blues Cube BC30 1x12. My pedal chain is Ibanez TS9 -> Ibanez Sonic Distortion SD-9 -> Ibanez Flanger FL-9 or Boss CE-3 Chorus. There is a difference in the effect of the of pedals.

The Roland is more sensitive. The pedals are more pronounced, more sensitive. The OD/Distortion pedals give more OD or distortion than Gibson the tube amp. If I crank the TS9 I get that nice grey area between overdrive and distortion with the Gibson. With the Roland it distortion. If I run the the TS9 and SD9 together with the Roland it is sustain distortion forever.

I set the modulation pedals for a subtle effect that works nice with the GA-5. It is a little too much with the Roland. The OD pedals and modulation pedals seem to clash a touch with the Roland, but not with the Gibson.

Has anyone a explanation for this, other than the obvious SS vs. Tube thingy.

P.S. When I use the TS9 with the Rolands OD channel pre-volume cranked, but at sub-bedroom levels, I get some wicked distortion sustain.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
How loudly are you running the Gibson tube amp? Crank it up then compare.

OTOH, I really believe solid state is better for low volume practicing. Tubes need a bit of volume to come alive (and then it is no contest).

TG

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run the Gibson at 1/3 power. Can't really crank it any more for home use, but with a TS9 and a Chorus set around 10am it sounds really nice. This is a grittier champ circuit and it start to break up at 1/3 volume. The chorus and flanger sound better through the Gibson than the Roland.

For modulation pedals and overdrive, I like the Gibson better, but like I said, the distortion/sustain I get from the Roland is wicked.

I'm just surprised how each amp takes each pedal so diffferently.

I also believe that the OD circuit is based on the Boss OD/Distortion pedals

1 - 3 of 3 Posts