The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you folks who play (or have played) in your typical "cover" band scenario, what's that one song (or a couple songs) that just seems to go over every time?

Bit of background: I play drums for a couple rock bands. One is your corporate type gig - we do company events, a few weddings here and there, some private parties. So it's purely a mainstream crowd. We have 2 guitars, bass, keys and drums so we can cover the gamut. We also have a very good female vocalist who we call upon from time to time when we think the venue warrants that special female touch. So we can do Shania, Aretha, Pat Benatar and even Sinatra (Nancy, that is).

The other band does the bar scene - a bit heavier sound (Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, AC/DC, Alice Cooper) but still mostly your basic rock repertoire. 2 guitars, bass, drums and a lead singer who sometimes plays lead cowbell (rather loudly and not always in time).

With the corporate gig, the one song that always seems to go over well is "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring. I think it's because most people know it but you don't hear too many bands play it. And, as much as I hate to say it, "What I like About You" by The Romantics usually fills the dance floor.

With the bar gig, "TNT" by AC/DC always gets people hopping. And people also seem to like "Gel" by Collective Soul.

Let's hear yours...

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
For us the songs that sort of surprise me in terms of response are Billy Joel's "Piano Man", The Beatles "Let it Be", and maybe The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down".

People seem to like the change from the somewhat heavier stuff we do such as AC / DC and Deep Purple.

I

·
0 Posts
And people also seem to like "Gel" by Collective Soul.
With The Apollo Effect we used to cover "Shine" to end our set and it always killed. Echo & The Bunnymen's "Lips Like Sugar" always worked really. Depeche Mode, "Enjoy The Silence". Muse, "Starlight" (with TAE's singer hurting for those Bellamy high notes ).

I think it really depends on the crowd you're playing to. Milkman's covers wouldn't have cut it for the 20-30 somethings we were pandering to. We were covering Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" for a while there and the older folks in the crowd dug it but the younger folks, not so much.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
With The Apollo Effect we used to cover "Shine" to end our set and it always killed. Echo & The Bunnymen's "Lips Like Sugar" always worked really. Depeche Mode, "Enjoy The Silence". Muse, "Starlight" (with TAE's singer hurting for those Bellamy high notes ).

I think it really depends on the crowd you're playing to. Milkman's covers wouldn't have cut it for the 20-30 somethings we were pandering to. We were covering Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" for a while there and the older folks in the crowd dug it but the younger folks, not so much.

Actually you might be surprised. I sure was. The people on the dance floor with arms linked, singing along with Piano Man often include 20 ~ 30 somethings.

It's all a matter of how much heart you put into the song I guess.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Cool, now I know.

Thx. for that.
And there you have it.

"and the piano sounds like a carnival, and the microphone smells like a beer
and they sit at the var and put bread in my jar and say man what are you doing here?"

Still a great song after all these years.

·
Registered
596 Posts
+1 for "What I Like About You". The dance floor packs immediately when you launch into it. It's one of those tunes that no one ever requests, yet everyone knows it instantly when they hear it.

Others...
"Play That Funky Music" - Wild Cherry
"Folsom Prison" J Cash, this one is shocking how big it goes over to a mostly young rock crowd.

Here's one you might laugh at.. "Sweet Home Alabama". That song was already old and tired 20 years ago and it did NOT go over well late 90's, early 00s, but something happened in the past year. The kids (born just 20 yrs ago or so) go nuts for it now. To them, I guess it's brand new. What happened, was it featured in a new Jackass movie or something?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For us the songs that sort of surprise me in terms of response are Billy Joel's "Piano Man", The Beatles "Let it Be", and maybe The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down".
I'm going to put Dixie on the possible list. I'd also like to do "The Wait" (not to be confused with "The Weight" by The Tragically Hip, which we do with the heavier outfit).

PS. Watched some of your vids and liked your Supertramp. We sometimes do Bloody Well Right if it's the right crowd.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good suggestions. I do like the more semi-obscure tunes that people know but they don't know they know it until they hear it. Then they go, "Oh yeah, I like this tune".

We did try Shine for a while but found Gel went over better in general. But it's still a good pick.

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I'm going to put Dixie on the possible list. I'd also like to do "The Wait" (not to be confused with "The Weight" by The Tragically Hip, which we do with the heavier outfit).

PS. Watched some of your vids and liked your Supertramp. We sometimes do Bloody Well Right if it's the right crowd.
Why thank you.

Apparently you also have a very good keyboardist.:rockon:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Others...
"Play That Funky Music" - Wild Cherry
"Folsom Prison" J Cash, this one is shocking how big it goes over to a mostly young rock crowd.

Here's one you might laugh at.. "Sweet Home Alabama". That song was already old and tired 20 years ago and it did NOT go over well late 90's, early 00s, but something happened in the past year. The kids (born just 20 yrs ago or so) go nuts for it now. To them, I guess it's brand new. What happened, was it featured in a new Jackass movie or something?
We do a PTFMWB/That's The Way (I like it) combo and, believe it or not, Folsom Prison when someone asks for The Man in Black (which happens more often now than it did).

As for Sweet Home, there's a running joke in the band: When the drunk guy staggers up to the stage and says, "Play some Skynyrd" - before he even has a chance to finish his sentence and take another slug of beer, we launch into it a loud as possible, usually causing him to throw up the devil horns and then promptly fall over. It always gets a laugh (well, amongst us anyhow) and the guy always staggers away a happy man. Because that's what counts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why thank you.
Apparently you also have a very good keyboardist.:rockon:
You're welcome. Oh, the Pink Floyd was great also. Yeah, our keyboard guy is a good player. Covers piano, organ, sax solos, space age laser blasts - the whole bit.:smile:

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
You're welcome. Oh, the Pink Floyd was great also. Yeah, our keyboard guy is a good player. Covers piano, organ, sax solos, space age laser blasts - the whole bit.:smile:
Never leave home without one.

I also play piano on a few tunes but for the really technical stuff I depend on my keyboardist. He also doubles on guitar and can play alto and tenor sax (if he'd ever shake loose the funds to buy either).

and thanks again,

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,548 Posts
A video of us doing Piano Man

Sorry for the highjack, but it's sort of on topic.

This is us doing Piano Man this past Saturday. Don't mind the shaky camera work and the drunken dancers. It was an outdoor show and the weather was beautiful (about 10 deg C). It was a very nice evening of music.

This doesn't exactly "kill" but I love playing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGDTSFhPBc

·
Registered
596 Posts
...I'd also like to do "The Wait" (not to be confused with "The Weight" by The Tragically Hip, which we do with the heavier outfit).
QUOTE]

Who's song is "The Wait" you refer to?

My band does "The Weight" by The Band, and it works well even without the keys. 3 part harmony for "and... and... annnnnnnd.... you put the load right on me". Whole crowd sings along often.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who's song is "The Wait" you refer to?

My band does "The Weight" by The Band, and it works well even without the keys. 3 part harmony for "and... and... annnnnnnd.... you put the load right on me". Whole crowd sings along often.
Oops, I meant "The Weight" by The Band. I would think it would go over quite well - we'll have to try it out and see. I'm also thinking about "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR. Nice easy song and everyone knows it and can sing along.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts