The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on the Queen Car and noticed a 'For Rent' sign above Songbird Music. Anyone know what's up ???

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Eh? I'm not going that way until next week.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
I'll chime in. Not sure about the Toronto Branch. They have already given up the store in Ottawa and sold it to some of the employees, from what I have heard. The Ottawa store now is called Spaceman Music

http://spacemanmusic.com

B

·
0 Posts
This is from their site (if you haven't checked it out yet).

"Started up in 1982 in downtown Ottawa, in a little, one-room store in a building shared with a printing press. We moved to our current location on Gladstone in 1985.

The Toronto Song Bird appeared in October, 1988. It moved to a bigger store a few doors down Queen Street West in 1992, and from there expanded to include the space next door a couple years after that. This new section currently houses our keyboard and drum department, with guitars occupying the entire original store. The repairs are done upstairs.

Song Bird Ottawa turned Spaceman
That's right folks, after 25 years, Song Bird Music has turned over the historic Gladstone landmark to its employees and the new "Spaceman Music". Why you ask?

Rob Bruner, Song Bird's President and CEO explains: "It's obvious to everyone in the industry that the internet is taking a bigger and bigger role in music sales. I wanted to centralize our operation in Toronto and put more focus on our website - to serve the whole country. It was a tough choice, but a good one for the future of Song Bird as a corporation.

I grew up in Ottawa and I love the city. It was hard to let my first store go, but that's business. I want to thank all our loyal customers for many years of patronage and memorable times. It was a privilege - and I trust Spaceman will continue to serve the local Ottawa community's needs."

There's nothing about their Toronto location on their site, from what I can see.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Just reading a thread on another forum that Songbird Toronto is bankrupt.

Read this in the same post too which is crazy:

An acquaintance of mine has apparently lost an old Gretsch which was on consignment. The receiver says it is considered inventory and he qualifies as a creditor but doesn't get the guitar or the money from its sale. He may get some money but after the banks etc.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
WOW! I just checked their website and Songbird is indeed bankrupt! Looks like they are going to liquidate all their stock too!

Oh man, I wish I (still) lived in T.O.

TG

B

·
0 Posts
Oh my........lofulofulofu

I've been after a new bass cab. Looks like I'll be getting one sooner than I had planned.

Sweetness.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I do believe they are done. Closed last week as far as I know. Capsule bought their inventory of pedals.
But I have heard a rumour that there is going to be a last blowout of what remains. Which I'm told is nothing but bumpkiss.

I

·
0 Posts
I do believe they are done. Closed last week as far as I know. Capsule bought their inventory of pedals.
But I have heard a rumour that there is going to be a last blowout of what remains. Which I'm told is nothing but bumpkiss.
If you catch wiff of an inventory sell off, let us know, eh?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
What a drag, that was one of my favourite music stores. :frown: I was in there a few weeks ago and I noticed the drum and keyboard section of the store was noticably emptier. I asked one of the staff what was going on and they said they *might* be selling the store. Oh well, I guess I'll have to check out Encore Music and Capsule Music a little more often now.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Let's pool our money together and start Guitars Canada the store! Haha.

Have fun fighting the crowds on their sale days you crazy Toronto folk! :sport-smiley-002:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it's a sad, sad day when a cool music store that deals in used, vintage gear closes down. Another one bites the dust.

We had a great store here in S'toon that was in operation for three decades that shut down a couple years ago. It left a gaping hole in the neighborhood it left.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
That's a shame! I always enjoyed checking out Songbird when in I happened to be in TO. When I went to Ryerson I used to visit quite often. :)

Jim

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing what deals are to be had. Hate to be a pessimist, but I can't imagine anything of real worth being sold at 'blow-out' prices. I think those guys are too networked and most of the desireable stuff is already spoken for. I am curious to findout if anyone does make a score on a nice piece. Stuff like that is always nice to hear.

The thing that concerns me most is where Tim Dudley will be working next. Any input on that would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The thing that concerns me most is where Tim Dudley will be working next. Any input on that would be appreciated.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts

He is currently "weighing" his options I'm told.

As for a large sell-off at the Bird, Tim says there is only crap left.
But you know, one man's crap,..............

1 - 20 of 44 Posts