The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stumbled onto this woman entirely by accident, while looking at a demo video of a circuit that a buddy sent me. Johnny Winter isn't dead. He just got reincarnated in the body of a, um, "big-boned gal". As the title of the first video says, don't judge a book by the cover.
Apparently, she's been around for 30 years or so, seemingly slinging the same Les Paul. Helluva slide player. Right up there with the best. No idea why I hadn't heard of her before.

There was a whole lot less of her earlier in her career. I hope the change in mass isn't some godawful health-related thing like what happened to Shawn Lane. You don't want these kind of artists to just up and disappear on you when you learned about them late.

But definitely worth a listen.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
...you guys are being sexist.

If she wasn't a chick, you'd just skip past this generic slidy/bluesy junk with a hefty side of gimmicky licks.

Edit: just so I'm clear, I do think she's a good player - just nothing out of the ordinary other than the obvious

Edit #2: Good player minus the atrocious tapping and superfluous pinch harmonics.

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a slide player, I prefer Derek Trucks' style to be honest. But she's a good enough player that I think "How come I've heard of all these other players, and I haven't ever heard of her?" For example, I like Gary Clark Jr., but I don't find him a more inspired player than Joanna Connor. So how come I know about him, and I didn't know about her?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
she's definitely an accomplished player. I too am not a fan of the tapping business. Suits EVH but I don't think it fits in this genre or at least not for me personally anyway. I sure wish I could be as fluid with my slide playing however.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
That first clip says really nothing good about her.
She's much better than that.

This is where I found out about her...back in the 90's

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
Found out about her last year or so. Impressive player. Another one of those under the radar guitarists.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
"How come I've heard of all these other players, and I haven't ever heard of her?" For example, I like Gary Clark Jr., but I don't find him a more inspired player than Joanna Connor. So how come I know about him, and I didn't know about her?
Three reasons...

1) Gary Clark has some crossover to more mainstream genres ,he's worked with Alicia Keys and the Foo Fighters for example
and
2) Joanna Connor is pretty much a straight blues artist(albeit rock infused),if you aren't pretty deep into the blues then a lot of talent can get missed.
and
3)As sad as it it,she is a woman,there are plenty of great women guitar players that aren't well known.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I saw her 5 years ago in a bar called "Kingston Mines" in Chicago. Put on a great show. She pretty much stay's in Chicago for the most part hence the lack of notoriety outside the Greater Chicago area.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I saw her 5 years ago in a bar called "Kingston Mines" in Chicago. Put on a great show. She pretty much stay's in Chicago for the most part hence the lack of notoriety outside the Greater Chicago area.
Coincidentally, I saw her there as well while I was in Chicago for an IMTS Convention. Great Player and a local Favorite Chicago player.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts