The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my neighbours of our townhouse came up to me this morning as I'm scraping frost off my car and says he was broken into last night. He also said the police came and they found footprints in the frost that lead to a number of backyards. Aparently some 'bicycle kids' are responsible for a rash of break-ins.

I didn't think to check at that moment but when I came home for lunch today I found our back gate wide open, with a little metal clip I keep the latch closed thrown off to the side and a board wedged along the bottom of the gate to keep the cat from escaping pushed forward. I checked out the backyard and nothing is missing, and I'm sure they wouldn't have seen past the blinds if they tried to look inside (at night). I immediately found a combo lock and locked up the gate. I'm also thinking about an alarm.

:2guns:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
An alarm, sadly, is a good idea.

If you can't afford an alarm right now, at least try to score some spare alarm company stickers from someone you know that has one. They're a pretty good deterent by themselves.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Always a scary feeling knowing someone is invading your privacy. Unfortunately we live in times that you can't even trust some people that live in your own hood. I had a girlfriend that lived in Port many years ago. One day she get's up and someone had been in the backyard, pulled one of those wooden lawn chairs underneath her bedroom window. There were foot tracks in the snow. Apparently just trying to get a peek. She lived alone at the time as well.

That following summer Paul Bernardo and his lovely wife were arrested. They lived in the house 6 doors down from her. So you never know.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
An alarm panel is a good idea, gives peace of mind. I hear this a lot because I install alarm panels. Be careful who you choose if you do go for one, some are pretty fly by night. Find one that's been around for a while, I've been doing them around here for the last 17 years. If you'd like stickers let me know and I can send you some. Your insurance company should offer a discount if you have one installed. Anyway good luck and keep the doors locked.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PaulS said:
If you'd like stickers let me know and I can send you some.
That is a very nice offer. I will look around at alarm systems and if we end up not getting one I may take you up on that.

Thankyou.

What are good systems, BTW? Brinks, Protectron, ADT?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Brinks,Chubb,Adt etc are the company names. They basically either use DSC or Paradox alarm equipment, sometimes they use other but those are the two big names in Canada. Kind of like Gibson or Fender... :D I use Paradox and have had no problems with the product. No problems with DSC either it just became a distributor thing. Read the fine print if they are making you an exceptional deal. Most alarms report in to a central station. I use Counterforce, they are a good company and they are available nationwide. You could call them to recommend you an installer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
B&E's Sicken Me

Many years ago our home was B&E'ed by a sick **** My seven year old daughter was assaulted in her own bed. Get the dog. Any dog that is attached to your family will work fine. I tried to post a minute by minute account of this before. It was to long and I couldn't publish it. It was alife changing experience.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If the dog attacks the invader and bites then it will be put down. Another sad day for the family. Laws do not protect the innocent. :mad:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
ask the local police about dogs and what they can and can`t do. Don`t think I`d wanna enter any place with a Rottweiler with an attitude...then again, I ain`t a desperate drug addict. And even in my youth when I was self medicating...I never ever stole anything to support my habits...I always had jobs. Not sure how I`d react to finding somebody in my house....not very well I think though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The issue really isn't about alarms or dogs. The issue is with the impotent ****s we elect. Harper started off by introducing law specifically targeting street racing. If he wants to deal with crime in this country, start with a minimum on the B&E of a private residence. FYI the Martins Criminal Code states that such a B&E is punishable by life imprisonment. That's a laugh, who ever receives such a sentence. By the way the seventeen year old who terrorfied my family only received six months Y.O. kiss my ass time. Shame on our politicians. No honour in the House of Commons.

·
Registered
597 Posts
MaxWedge said:
Get the dog. Any dog that is attached to your family will work fine.
I was involved in some marketing work for an alarm company years ago.. they claimed that dogs don't help because even the meanest dogs become your best friend when you offer them FOOD. Criminals know this and bring dog treats when they B&E. Then again, they were trying to sell alarms, not dogs.

Tougher laws and courts are the best way IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The laws we have are tough enough. It's the application of law that lacks. This was my arguement concerning the street racing, remedies already exist. The judges who sit on the bench are politically appointed. They do not answer to anyone and we have to accept their political and social points of view. Governments that govern least govern best. These men are the real lawmakers in this country and you are not given the right to even hear their points of view. This is wrong in a democracy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice but a dog is out of the question as we are 'cat people'. We are seriously thinking about an alarm, though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Uzi! Guns are only acceptable if the intruder is likewise armed. The Uzi is a fine up close firearm, but being an automatic weapon it is unlikely to be available in Canada. Although if you know the right people...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Id say you should get an alarm system that will electrify all the doornobs in the house after a minute of it going off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
SinCron said:
Id say you should get an alarm system that will electrify all the doornobs in the house after a minute of it going off.
Electrifying the door nobs will only get you sued. Fun though.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i have alarm force, which costs me $30/month. the sign on the door is probably more than sufficient to deter petty or amateur thieves.

but here's the problem: once the alarm is tripped, it takes at least twenty minutes for someone (private security, in my case) to show up.

any experienced thief who knows what he's doing would be aware of this. and, if he knows what he's doing, he can be out of there in less than five minutes.

my gear is insured, of course. do most of you have your equipment insured?

as long as my insurance covers replacement, they can have it. what i worry about is things like lyrics, and the recordings stored on the hard drive of my tascam 2488.

-dh

1 - 20 of 41 Posts