The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. what are the main differences between a stratocaster and a gibson sg?

2. is a gibson better than the epiphones or do you just pay for the name?

3. Will a vox valvetronix go good with a gibson sg?

4. Is 50 watts too loud for an amp that will only be used at home ( i do wan to be able crank u the volume loud but not that my neighbours can hear me)

5. Will the value of a sg go up after time (20 years +)

may add some more questions later....

·
Premium Member
17,617 Posts

3. Will a vox valvetronix go good with a les paul sg?

4. Is 50 watts too loud for an amp that will only be used at home ( i do wan to be able crank u the volume loud but not that my neighbours can hear me)

I'll give you my opinion and see what others say.

1) Stratocasters come in a multitude of configurastions and costs. Which specific model/configuration/price are you using to compare? I think you are going to hear from others that you are comparing apples to grapefruits with your question.

2) I think that Gibsons are "better" than Epiphones. However, there are also dud Gibsons and great Epiphones out there. Yes, I believe you are paying for the name to some extent. Gibson has had some quality issues recently..this is no secret.

3) Why not? What tone are you after? What musical style do you want to achieve (jazz ? ....metal ?....country ?).

4) 50 watts is LOUD. 5 watts cranked could blow you out of most rooms. How much do you want to be able to crank it before getting some distortion? Do you need a lot of clean headroom?

5) Some guitars go up in value because they become sought after (for many reasons). I'm of the opinion that hoping this will happen is a bit of a crap shoot. A $1000.00 in a GIC compounded for 20 years would likely be a better investment. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky with investing in a guitar.

I eagerly await the thoughts of others.

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts
Marlon,... for a 14 year old guy, I love your questions. Don't ever stop asking.

I don't own an SG, but I have tried many and me and SGs get along quite well. My small hand prefers double cuts.

If you can find an Epiphone Elitist SG at under $750, get it. One of the best SGs I've ever tried. If you want a Gibson, look for an used faded. Try it. If it feels and sounds right, get it.

The Vox Valvetronix is a good beginner to intermediate amp. Very good. Vox has a slightly higher reliability issue, but by that time, you will likely be ready to move on.

I wouldn't worry about value in the future. Learn to play really good first. That's what git playin' is all about. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the answers....

6. so is epiphone elitist sg better than the gibson sg

7. gibson sg faded vs gibson sg standard. what are the diffrences?

8. is the vox valvetronix 30vt the same as the 50vt except that the 50vt has more watts?? For some reason review for the 50vt are awesome and people with a 30vt say it sucks. shouldnt it be the same?

i went long & McQuade yesterday. Awesome store!!! I played an sg, and a les paul.... how the hell do you play a les paul standing. you need to be like 6 foot 4 or 5.... the sg sounds pretty good, so does the les paul but there is no way im buying a les paul. TOOOO HEAVY!!! The Stratocaster sounds good too. but everyone has it and it doessn't have the better upper fret access....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

3. Will a vox valvetronix go good with a gibson sg?

1 - Ugh... everything? Different wood, different bridge/tremolo, different pickup config, different shape, etc.

2 - Yes Gibsons are better, mainly in the part/wood quality department. My personal 'rule' is I won't buy any Epiphone under $500. Anything above that will atleast have decent hardware and wood. Then it comes down to playability.

3 - Tone is subjective, let your ears decide.

4 - I don't think 50 watts is too loud for modelling... you'll still get a similar tone with the volume low as you would with it cranked so it shouldn't be an issue.

50 watts all tube on the other hand, maybe. Depends on where you live and the volume you prefer. I live in the middle of nowhere and run 100 watts through 1 or 2 4x12s for 3 hours of the day (with ear plugs in though, gotta' keep them ears good)... it's all preference.

5 - Entirely depends on the model and how bad someone wants it 20+ years from now.

8. is the vox valvetronix 30vt the same as the 50vt except that the 50vt has more watts?? For some reason review for the 50vt are awesome and people with a 30vt say it sucks. shouldnt it be the same?
6 - Ugh... depends on the model. If you go upper end Gibson SG vs Epiphone Elitist, in terms of quality, hell no. I'd assume a lower end Gibson SG vs Epiphone Elitist would be the about the same quality.

7 - Looking at MF, I'd say better quality parts and better finishes.

8 - Check around and see if the specs change at all... I know on some modellers the lower wattage one will have less amp models and effects. The main reason you'd see mixed reviews is 'cause everyone is different and tone is subjective. I vote you ignore the reviews and use your ears!

The Stratocaster sounds good too. but everyone has it and it doessn't have the better upper fret access....
Huh? Strats have amazing access to the higher frets.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

i went long & McQuade yesterday. Awesome store!!! I played an sg, and a les paul.... how the hell do you play a les paul standing. you need to be like 6 foot 4 or 5.... the sg sounds pretty good, so does the les paul but there is no way im buying a les paul. TOOOO HEAVY!!! The Stratocaster sounds good too. but everyone has it and it doessn't have the better upper fret access....

6) As far as I'm concerned the Elitist SG is put together much finer then a USA Gibson. Japanese are known to pay attention to detail. The overall finish of the guitar is beautiful.

The electronics, specifically the pickups are better on the USA Gibsons. If you end up going Gibson USA, try get an SG with 57's as the pickups. I actually like the pickups in my Elitist SG and have been using them for a year now. I will be making the switch to 57's in the near future.

The Elitist SG is equall to a Standard Gibson SG in my opinion, but value wise
the Elitist wins. You are getting as good an instrument for half the price.

7) I wouldn't go with the faded series. They just look cheap too me. I think the only difference is the uncoated body?

8) Other then the 50vt having more wattage, I thought all the specs for both amps were the same? I would go with the 50vt. These amps have a type of powerscaling feature where you can turn down the wattage and reduce you volume. If you are driving your parents nuts, I think you can plug some headphones in!! The 50tv will also give you a little more power if you end up starting up a band!
:rockon2:

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
thanks.

9. What is the diffrence between the SG '61 reissue and the standard???
Appart from the pride?, a slightly tichker neck if i recall, small radius, more vintage sound and a finish that probably use a slight coat of nitro instead of lacquer.

Personnaly i'de go for a Strat as a first guitar, but that's just me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts