The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gettin' a Ibanez RG370 or 350 in a couple weeks and I'd like to get filled in on all the setup stuff... I know how to balance the trem with the screws in the back, adjust the truss rod and intonation on a Floyd. Here's some stuff I'd like to know though:

How do you determine how many springs are needed in the back? I always see people with 3, my step dad's only has 2 though.

Lowering action... about how low can it go? My step dad rarely plays his but the action is pretty high. He's more of a rhythm guitarist, but I'm into lead stuff so I like me some low action.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

- Josh

·
Registered
260 Posts
You can have 2 , 3 springs or more . The more spings you have , the stiffer the bridge will be .

You're supposed to be able to get the action as low as on any other guitar , but in my experience when it's too low , you can't raise the pitch without having the strings touching the higher frets .

As for anything else you should know , they're a pain in the ass to setup , don't even think about dropping tuning in between songs , and you'd better get an original floyd rose or some other higher-end device , or else it won't really stay in tune . Also , don't over tighten the locking nut...Remember how it was before you change strings , and don't tighten it more than that , it won't help with tuning stability and can cause grooves in the plates .

Also , if that's your first guitar , I would avoid buying a floyd equiped guitar .

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey, thanks for the info!

I don't need the action TOO low, not like how I have my LP set up, I won't mind going a little higher. I just need this axe in standard tuning, so I won't be changin' tunings too often, if at all. This would be my third guitar, the collection is slowly growing, hah.

Thanks again! I just asked the shop owner to order the RG370!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts