·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Bill Kerrigan

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Price for a new standard series Martin just keeps going up so if you want a new one might as well get it now.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny how Gibson takes so much heat about high prices, but to get the Martin I want I’m probably above $5000.
Which one is that, may I ask?

As for the heat Gibson gets, it appears that is aimed more at the electrical side of things. Compared with the competition and what they offer for much less, it appears justified, at least to some extent.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Funny how Gibson takes so much heat about high prices, but to get the Martin I want I’m probably above $5000.
I paid $6,800 all in to my door for my Martin D-28A from the US. But would have paid just over 10k if I had bought it in Canada.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
I paid $6,800 all in to my door for my Martin D-28A from the US. But would have paid just over 10k if I had bought it in Canada.
thats insane, considering a regular D28 can be had often for under 3K and even under 2K if you're lucky on the used the market

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Well my dream guitar in terms of an acoustic guitar has long been a D45.

I said above $5000. Obviously I haven’t priced one in many years.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
thats insane, considering a regular D28 can be had often for under 3K and even under 2K if you're lucky on the used the market

I've owned standard D-28's, an HD28 and an HD28V. My D-28 Authentic 1941 is on a whole other level. Its about as close as you're going to get to the true vintage 40's sound without having an actual 41. To most, I'm sure a D-28 standard is more than enough and I admit the standard is a great guitar.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
I've owned standard D-28's, an HD28 and an HD28V. My D-28 Authentic 1941 is on a whole other level. Its about as close as you're going to get to the true vintage 40's sound without having an actual 41. To most, I'm sure a D-28 standard is more than enough and I admit the standard is a great guitar.
I'm cool with whatever you're using, this isn't a jab at you. Probably more envious than anything that you've compared that many 28's

·
Registered
5,691 Posts

There is a couple of places in the US that give 40% off list for Martin (they're not allowed to advertise that) I bought mine from "My Favorite Guitars" in Florida. Right now they're advertising a D-45 standard for $8,799, 22% off list. You contact them and they'll likely give another 18% bringing it down to approximately $5,900. That converts roughly to $7,800 Canadian. Add your taxes and brokerage and your probably at close to 9k Canadian.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts

$11,700 at L&M before tax although Canada Post shipping is likely no charge.

HD 28V is around $5K these days although I got one for 4 maybe three years ago.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I'm cool with whatever you're using, this isn't a jab at you. Probably more envious than anything that you've compared that many 28's
My favorite comparison was when I got to compare my 41 authentic to a real D-28 1941 side by side at Folkway music. Mark brought me up stairs and recorded the affair. The real 41 had more bass and depth and was clearly the winner but my authentic was in the ballpark. For 75k minus whatever I got for trade I could have upgraded.
I've gotten to play a 1935 and 1936 D-28 as well. I love going to Folkway.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a couple of places in the US that give 40% off list for Martin (they're not allowed to advertise that) I bought mine from "My Favorite Guitars" in Florida. Right now they're advertising a D-45 standard for $8,799, 22% off list. You contact them and they'll likely give another 18% bringing it down to approximately $5,900. That converts roughly to $7,800 Canadian. Add your taxes and brokerage and your probably at close to 9k Canadian.
Yes, that's correct. Maury's Music is another one and have those discounts on their website. They may also give you a little extra if you call them. I have been told they have done that sometimes.

If you want the Martin sound, they also sell Blueridge which are designed after the pre-war Martins. They have sound clips comparing the two on their website and the Blueridge models are a lot less expensive. Here are some links you may find interesting.

Blueridge vs. Martin Comparison Chart - Maury's Music

Home - Maury's Music

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I bought my D41 at MFG for 40 percent off of list at the time (May 2016). 20 percent off on the website, called them up and another 20 percent off.....L&M locally would not budge on their asking price for a D28 which was more than what I paid for the D41.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts