The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need a little advice. Just received a 65 AVRI Strat from a seller on Reverb. The guitar was shipped FEDEX from Texas on Thursday, and was delivered yesterday afternoon at my office. I took the package home, and didn't open the box until about 8pm last night.
I was pretty let down when I opened the case and noticed a bunch of finish cracks all over the body front and back. I took pictures and let the seller know of course. The guitar left Texas in good shape. With the freezing weather over the weekend didn't help.

The Strat plays fine, no issues with the neck or electronics.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with something like this? Do i have a case with the seller?
Can we go back to FEDEX for a claim? The shipment had insurance on it. Or am I basically stuck with it?

Thanks.
IMG_20190122_202341.jpg
IMG_20190122_215028.jpg
IMG_20190122_215033.jpg
IMG_20190122_215040.jpg
IMG_20190122_214825.jpg
IMG_20190122_214836.jpg

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Damn. Sorry I can't put in any reasonable input to the question itself. But good luck in getting the situation sorted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The guitar does play well, and sounds great, and I really like the Shoreline gold colour.
I have a 59 AVRI Strat, that over 5 years now owing it, it's starting to fade slightly and looks played in.
I'm sure the same will happen with this 65 Strat, has a thin nitro finish. But it just bugs me that it's cracked like that.
The seller is a decent guy, but he's of course he doesn't want to do a refund.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
It is a bummer that the guirar didnt arrive in the condition it left in.

Its going to do it eventually anyway though. If fedex doesnt store parcels in heated warehouses, this is going to happen. Im not sure a claim will really pan out.

IMO if you dont want the checking, either a) sell/trade this body for one without nitro or b) refin this body without nitro.

Best of luck. It's a gorgeous colour.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Shitty situation. Don't really think the seller is to blame, nor is FedEx. Doesn't hurt for the seller to try a claim and give you whatever money they get from it. Don't think I would try to ship a Nitro guitar in January.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Its going to do it eventually anyway though. If fedex doesnt store parcels in heated warehouses, this is going to happen. Im not sure a claim will really pan out.

IMO if you dont want the checking, either a) sell/trade this body for one without nitro or b) refin this body without nitro.

Shitty situation. Don't really think the seller is to blame, nor is FedEx. Doesn't hurt for the seller to try a claim and give you whatever money they get from it. Don't think I would try to ship a Nitro guitar in January.
Yeah, stupid me for buying a guitar in January! LOL

The seller isn't to blame for sure. Good idea though, try a claim and see what happens.
It's a pain in the ass to ask for a refund, then get into a pissing match about the shipping costs back to Texas etc.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Don't ask us. Ask Reverb. Go to Reverb and click on the chat button. Tell them what is going on. they will tell you what your rights are. In most cases, they will either ask the seller to offer you a partial refund or possibly a full refund, but the only people who know for sure are Reverb employees. I've had a few refunds given me without having to send the item back.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts

Are you saying all guitars that have nitro , the finish is going to crack...or you just mean guitars being shipped it cold weather ?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
All nitro guitars will eventually check. Just look at 90% of the vintage gear being sold. It’s the same for fret boards. Anything made and leaving a hot humid climate and coming into Canada especially in the middle of winter may be affected. Here in Alberta it’s considered a extreme climate so it’s extremely dry here in the winter, fret ends poke out unless you have a humidifier going.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Yeah anything with nitro exposed to heat and then cold without a slow warm up period will instantly crack. I had a avri 62 hot rod strat. Left it in the trunk(winter) for maybe and hour while I ate, then remember it in the trunk! Grabbed it and brought it inside, instantly it started to crack. I wish I recorded it, I could see and hear it cracking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah anything with nitro exposed to heat and then cold without a slow warm up period will instantly crack. I had a avri 62 hot rod strat. Left it in the trunk(winter) for maybe and hour while I ate, then remember it in the trunk! Grabbed it and brought it inside, instantly it started to crack. I wish I recorded it, I could see and hear it cracking.
Geez! That's probably what happened in this case. The guitar was sitting in a cold warehouse, cold truck on the way up to Toronto. It hit customs, they open the box and the cracking started.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
@Bluesjr

That’s a killer strat. Every time I went into the downtown Mcquade here I’d grab that one and play it. Such a nice medium thick neck, just played so nice.

The checking actually looks awesome, you pay extra for the custom shop closet classic and that’s exactly what your looks like. I don’t think it will hurt the value at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't ask us. Ask Reverb. Go to Reverb and click on the chat button. Tell them what is going on. they will tell you what your rights are. In most cases, they will either ask the seller to offer you a partial refund or possibly a full refund, but the only people who know for sure are Reverb employees. I've had a few refunds given me without having to send the item back.
Thanks, just did exactly that, thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Are you saying all guitars that have nitro , the finish is going to crack...or you just mean guitars being shipped it cold weather ?
All nitro cracks.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Exact same thing happened to an old Dean I had. That's when I first learned this lesson.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts