The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For use with our mixing board to turn off the reverb when speaking to the crowd in between songs.
I tried one of my pedals from my amp that switches between channels.
It works, however, you have to stomp on it twice to turn off, twice again to to turn on.
From what I could find, I need a momentary switch?

Can anyone offer assistance here? with a wiring diagram?
Thnks.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Wiring is the same except the switch is momentary - you need to find out if you need normally closed or normally open (I would assume open, but people do things different sometimes). Only possible difference is weird control voltage schemes, which I wouldn't think apply here.

To be absolutely sure you'd have to at least tell us make/model of mixer though link to the manual would be best.

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiring is the same except the switch is momentary
diagram says it momentarily connects the 2 poles .... shorts them together when switch is activated ... page 7 right hand side.
If I'm reading this correctly, the sleeve is connected to pole 1 (left lug?) and ground (center lug)?
or, one or the other?
Tip to pole 2 (right lug)?

upload_2019-11-19_15-42-47.png

Footswitch - SPDT On-(On) Momentary (solder)

upload_2019-11-19_15-59-32.png

or use one of these?
Footswitch - SPST On-(Off) Momentary (solder)

upload_2019-11-19_16-7-22.png

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, with the momentary switch, you will have to push it on and hold it down for the entire time you want to turn the effect off. As soon as you lift your foot off of the switch, the effect will come back on again.

If you didn't especially want the switch to be foot activated, you could use a simple toggle or push button...either of which could be hand operated.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I was hoping for more info on this.

I use a momentary switch to activate tremolo on whole notes and half notes. Straight forward. "Normally OFF".

But, I also use a momemtary switch to trigger anything on my drum machine: start/stop, add fill, go to next pattern. Same switch, same plug -- choices are made in the machine programming. TR (one switch) or TRS (two switches). Some momentaries trigger the change when depressed and others trigger when released. A latching switch requires two stomps.

Further enlightenment required. I gotta Google? C'mon...

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gotta Google? C'mon...
I did a lot of that. Wound up having to join the PA maker's forum just to send an email to support.
They were no help. Just sent a link to buy one of their pedals. pfft.

Bought a off(on) momentary switch this morning at Neutron Electronics in Guelph after discussing the situation with the clerk.
Came back not too long ago from our studio after doing a naked test (alligator jumpers to an input jack, plugged into cable).
Eureka! It's Alive!! Does what it's supposed to.
Now to mount it into my stomp box.
I'm a happy camper now. :D

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Bought a off(on) momentary switch this morning at Neutron Electronics in Guelph after discussing the situation with the clerk.
Came back not too long ago from our studio after doing a naked test (alligator jumpers to an input jack, plugged into cable).
Eureka! It's Alive!! Does what it's supposed to.
Now to mount it into my stomp box.
I'm a happy camper now. :D
Yay! Who cares how it works, if it works. Lol.

The wrong switch is especially annoying when trying to tap out a beat, and the sound triggers on the release not the tap.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, with the momentary switch, you will have to push it on and hold it down for the entire time you want to turn the effect off. As soon as you lift your foot off of the switch, the effect will come back on again.

If you didn't especially want the switch to be foot activated, you could use a simple toggle or push button...either of which could be hand operated.
More than likely uses electronic switching like most Boss and Ibanez pedals. They use a momentary switch and a "flip-flop" circuit.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
More than likely uses electronic switching like most Boss and Ibanez pedals. They use a momentary switch and a "flip-flop" circuit.
Thanks for this.
Never try to read about "flip-flop" circuits BEFORE your first coffee in the morning.
Flip-flop (electronics) - Wikipedia
I was (totally) guessing that it was some sort of solid state relay. I expect hose have likely now been extinct for several decades.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Says solved, but I see no answer so will clarify. Whether tip/sleeve is connected to what tab on the switch does not matter - 2 wires and 2 tabs on a momentary switch (the second one pictured). The idea is that when you hit the switch, a normally open circuit is closed (and a control circuit gets a momentary voltage tripping a chip or less likely, a relay etc, to switch states). On the X Wing switch (first pic; look at an DPDT of that type from the bottom and you'll get the name) middle and one side - don't remember how those work (I think one of the outer tabs is normal on and the other normal off) so check with a meter for continuity (from middle to any other tab) when you have the switch depressed and use that one; third tab stays unused.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts