The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone use for boosting their solos? I've tried the overdrive/distortion pedals with the gain turned down and the level turned up and didn't like that, I've tried using eq's. What I am currently using it the toe down position on my wah. I've been thinking about trying a duncan pickup booster or an mxr microamp. I don't need more distortion or gain, just an up in level to boost my solos a bit.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Ripper said:
What does everyone use for boosting their solos? I've tried the overdrive/distortion pedals with the gain turned down and the level turned up and didn't like that, I've tried using eq's. What I am currently using it the toe down position on my wah. I've been thinking about trying a duncan pickup booster or an mxr microamp. I don't need more distortion or gain, just an up in level to boost my solos a bit.
#1 in my book is the Klon
#2 is the Fulltone Fat-Boost

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
You should try the BBE Boosta Grande. I just got one a couple of weeks ago and actually have already used it in a gig. It provides up to 20db of clean boost without changing your tone. I used to use a Boss BD-2 for boosting my solos but wanted something "cleaner", something that wouldn't affect my tone which is not the case when using the BD-2 even with gain all the way down.

Basing from my experience with it so far, I have not noticed any discernable change to my tone when I use it. It sounds like you just added another volume control on your chain. If you are looking for something that won't change your tone, I think the BBE should do it. It even comes with the power adaptor. At $99CDN, I thought it was a good deal.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into some of those pedals. I've found that using an od/dis pedal just didn't give me any boost really. I've used a md-2, sd-1, os-2, sm-9 and a big muff, but none seemed to work for me.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've been using the Diamond J Drive with the two different boosts in it. The standard clean style of boost and the Treble boost style which is similiar to the rangemaster thing. It also has a great OD in it and they can be used independantly. This pedal is very versatile and well built almost noiseless. These guys make great pedals and are easy to contact, and there Canadian.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Volume pot on the guitar

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you want a killer boost try any type of rangemaster clone. The germanium transistor style treble boost is awesome with HB's. The Keeley Java Boost is one, or the Time machine boost.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've always wanted to try a Rangemaster type but still havent. I've been using a Crowther Hotcake as a clean boost, which is a low-gain overdrive pedal. Way better than a ts-type IMO, for this purpose. Tons of boost with the gain way down, but if I'm playing a lower volume gig I can dial up the gain a bit more to fake just a bit of breakup.

·
Registered
272 Posts
no love for compressors?

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned using a compressor for boosting solos. Although they can easily suck the life out of your tone if you use the wrong ones or use them incorrectly they can definitely benefit your solos when used properly. I've got an EBS mulitcomp that works really well for this purpose, but there are many compressor pedals out there that would appear to be the not-so-secret weapons in their pedal boards. A tube screamer compresses the signal more than I have my EBS set up to do most of the time.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
EQ pedals are another way to provide boost. With this, you can tailor your boost with emphasis on the mids, highs or whatever.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts