The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how long the money will stay there?

The gear stayed around for years, and I am pretty sure the cash will evaporate in no time.

I put the money into savings, maybe it will stay there. I will try to be optimistic. If it seems to stay, maybe I will try to sell more and see if that money stays as well.

What are your thoughts? Am I going about this wrong? Usually the heading is NGD, or new NAD.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Nope good idea.
I would suggest since you're worrying about the money sitting, researching and investing in the stock market via your TFSA.
This is good advice. A banks account is not the best place to keep money for the long term if you really want to keep and grow that money.

P

·
0 Posts
The right gear will outperform pretty much any investment fund. Especially old Gibson, Fender etc.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Back in about 78 or 9 I had a chance to buy 50s gold top for a grand. Dude that owned the guitar store loaned it to me for a couple of weeks and said you need to buy this. Great sounding guitar but I was rather short of pots to piss in at the time. So it goes.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You should do what I do....I have a "guitar fund". I then check Kijiji every 30-40 seconds and jump on any deal that I can make a buck or two.
I have bought, using this method, with the profits, a car, a motorcycle and a boat.
I am also very honest and will often offer more that the asking price. I am happy to make 100-200$ on a guitar and will not rip anybody off.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
OK sorry. You are right, I am wrong.

You're actually BOTH right, and wrong, depending on the time frame of investment. If you entered the vintage market 20 years ago, you'd likely be doing very well. Entering the market 10 yrs ago, not so much...

I agree with others here as well, that the OP's money is probably "safest" being invested in something, rather than remaining readily available in a savings account.

P

·
0 Posts
Alright, since you want to be facetious, ever hear of Google?
I was being sincere. I am not a finance expert. I had heard that about guitars, plus over the years experienced doubling and tripling gear values personally. If you say it's incorrect, I don't have any reason to doubt you.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I was being sincere. I am not a finance expert. I had heard that about guitars, plus over the years experienced doubling and tripling gear values personally. If you say it's incorrect, I don't have any reason to doubt you.
I'd think it would be quite rare these days for someone to be able to find a guitar at a price that allows them to make a lot of money. The really high-value vintage instruments are all known and have likely already achieved their maximum value.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Are we on to arguing about investments now?

Anyway you shouldnt do what I do. When I sell gear I immediately spend the money and then when my wife sees me buy new things, I end up having to buy her things too. Today it was a camera. Worst investment strategy.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Are we on to arguing about investments now?

Anyway you shouldnt do what I do. When I sell gear I immediately spend the money and then when my wife sees me buy new things, I end up having to buy her things too. Today it was a camera. Worst investment strategy.
I don't really see any arguments.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts