The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To cut straight to the chase for an update: FS: - Allen Hot Fudge w/ (small) Nuts(ack)

I wanted to keep this brief however there is a back story on this amp and it's important to set the record straight. There have also been some changes made to the amp since it was last posted FS here. You've almost certainly seen this amp before. I was the first person to offer it here (in head format) and since then just about every GC Mafia member has owned it, in some cases multiple times. (Note: I do not count myself among that group of heavy hitters). I originally posted it here as a "Hot Fudge with Nuts" and have since discovered that's not entirely the case. Among Allen models, the "Hot Fudge" is based on the 6G2 (brown Princeton) while the "Hot Fudge with Nuts" version is akin to the 6G3 (brown Deluxe). Although they share elements in common (vibrato type, 6V6 and 6L6/EL34 capability, control layout, etc), they are indeed different circuits and the "with Nuts" version offers a 35 watt output transformer. This amp was sold to me as the "with Nuts" version but, had I inspected the OT more closely, I would have noticed something was different.

The most accurate description of this particular amp is a "Hot Fudge with Nuts (without the larger OT)". Relative to it's vintage counterparts, this amp is essentially the Vibrato channel of a brown Deluxe, which is what 6G3 owners use in most cases. The amp is ready for use with either 6V6 or 6L6/EL34 output tubes and matched pairs are easily swapped in & out with just a rebias (using a multimeter with the amp's test points & bias pot). Depending on tube choices and biasing then, the amp will run from 12-25 watts. Anyway, please consider the record officially straightened on this one then, with apologies to anyone who may have felt mislead somewhere along this amp's journey.

I recently purchased this amp from the previous owner primarily out of a sense of duty to "correct" my initial mistake and to determine just what we were dealing with. After finally figuring out exactly what we had here, I decided to tweak it further in hopes of fully realizing the amp's sonic strengths. When the amp recently returned to me, it had 3 limitations:

1) It had no speaker;
2) It was quick to break up with surprisingly little headroom (for an amp with a robust OT);
3) The Vibrato was far too intense and individual notes tended to become "swamped" in the effect itself.

Speaker selection is of course critical on amps and after much consideration (and experimentation) I landed on an Eminence GA-SC64. These speakers just LOVE Fender circuits and I can confirm that it works amazingly well with this amp. I believe others will agree. While I was at it I replaced the low grade speaker connector with a high quality harness. Also through experimentation, concerns 2) & 3) were addressed via tube selection and biasing. Specifically, both V1 & V2 were replaced with lower gain NOS JAN 5751s. As a result, the amp has noticeably more clean headroom, the gain arrives much more gradually (especially with single coils), and the Intensity pot now offers much more subtle adjustments to the vibrato effect. JJ 6V6s and a GZ34 rectifier were also used since they provide the most headroom possible from this circuit in 6V6 mode (many folks find JJ 6V6s more similar in feel to 6L6s than found with other 6V6 tubes). Finally, when the amp recently arrived, I was surprised to discover it was biased at 8 mA, which is FAR too cold. It has since been re-biased to a much more suitable 21 mA.

The overall result of the changes made? Without exaggeration, a night and day difference. The amp just sounds right now and is much more useable at various volumes IMO. Not that anyone cares about such details but, while sorting things out, I replaced the chicken head NFB Cut knob at the back with a barrel knob, making it much easier to adjust-by-feel from the front. I also centered the chassis in the cab as it had an uneven gap on one side that bothered me (OCD?). Those are minor things but I am pleased that I spent the additional time with it as the amp is finally where it should be in terms of function and form.

Finally, please note that 6L6/EL34 tubes will provide some increase in headroom and overall volume vs 6V6s...just don't expect miracles. The character of the amp does change with the bigger bottles however, if you've ever tried 6L6s & a SS rectifier in a Deluxe Reverb, you know that the difference is far from astonishing. I'd say the 6V6 vs 6L6 difference is least noticeable using JJ 6V6s. When I tried a set of Tung Sol 6V6s, the difference seemed more pronounced. With it's present tube arrangement though, I think it sounds like a good 6G3...but louder and more robust because of the top notch components (especially the iron).

Was just looking to set the record straight on this one, finish tweaking it, and then pass it along for what I have into it. I can also supply a 12AX7 (for V1) and a matched set of Tung Sol 6V6GTs for those wishing to experiment with more gain sounds.

SOLD

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Yup I’ll just say that Steve is one of the best people you could choose to deal with here. It looks like he’s given it lots of attention with his careful expert eye since he got it and I think someone will get one hell of an amp for the price!

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Reviewed my post and realized how incredibly long winded it is. I underlined the important bits then for a Cole's Notes version of what's most relevant.

While I'm here though, I encourage folks to consider the affordability of an HF over other 6G3 alternatives. One of the members who's considering a 6G3 type amp pointed out Down Brownies are over $3K new and Headstrong Corduroys are over $2K used, making the Allen a relative steal. That's no knock on those other amps because they're both terrific. Thats still a $1K-$2K price difference however.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Replied. The amp is still available and I'm happy to discuss shipping requirements with those offering to shoulder the costs.
i can say with near certainty that Stevie is simply asking to cover his costs here...not including his time in teaching the amp to its healthiest place. $1300+ shipping is an eminently fair asking price and should be a no brainer take.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
926 Posts
Excellent deal from a very fair seller. If I hadn't just bought an original 6G2 I would surely be after this one.

W.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I owned this very amp and a Headstrong Corduroy at the same time. The Allen was the clear winner in my book. The Corduroy was very stiff and aggressive compared to a vintage 6G3 while the Allen had all of the vintage character and subtlety.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I owned this very amp and a Headstrong Corduroy at the same time. The Allen was the clear winner in my book. The Corduroy was very stiff and aggressive compared to a vintage 6G3 while the Allen had all of the vintage character and subtlety.
Me too !!! I had both in my living room and this amp was just "MORE"

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
For shits & gigs I just put a 12AX7 in V1 and plugged the SG in. Oh boy. It rips in that mode. 😲

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Stevie, Could you please describe the breakup/distortion of this amp? Low volume breakup or? Thanks. Marc

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Stevie, Could you please describe the breakup/distortion of this amp? Low volume breakup or? Thanks. Marc
Describing sounds is not a strong suit of mine unfortunately. I guess I assumed anyone interested would already be familiar with the 6G3 sound. To me it can range from "a little hair around the notes" with singles to "on the edge of exploding" with buckers. FWIW, I always think "early ZZ Top" (rightly or wrongly) when I hear a strong brown Deluxe.

As to your other question, depending on how you define it, the amp is not prone to break up at "low" volume IMO. It was certainly more prone to do that before I made changes but swapping in TWO 12AX7s would likely do it if that's what you're after. This amp is very responsive to tube swaps.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Describing sounds is not a strong suit of mine unfortunately. I guess I assumed anyone interested would already be familiar with the 6G3 sound. To me it can range from "a little hair around the notes" with singles to "on the edge of exploding" with buckers. FWIW, I always think "early ZZ Top" (rightly or wrongly) when I hear a strong brown Deluxe.

As to your other question, depending on how you define it, the amp is not prone to break up at "low" volume IMO. It was certainly more prone to do that before I made changes but swapping in TWO 12AX7s would likely do it if that's what you're after. This amp is very responsive to tube swaps.
thanks Steve he described very well and written very well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts