The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the past several weeks about a dozen times I've considered and rejected the idea of driving to Kentucky to see today's solar eclipse. Last night at midnight I was thinking, "I could still make it there in time", but didn't go. It's no fun being practical.

For us in Canada the show will be far less spectacular than along the "path of totality" across the U.S. Just in case you haven't seen the warnings elsewhere, DO NOT look at the sun thinking, "Oh, 10 or 20 seconds can't hurt." It can, permanently and irreparably. Sunglasses won't save you, welding glasses won't save you, and proper viewing glasses seem to be sold out everywhere.

There are many reports and stories about this event that is predicted to be the most-watched eclipse event in history. Here's an article about one of the under-reported effects of the eclipse: a massive reduction in power from solar energy farms that will strain the rest of the grid for a few minutes.

Historic eclipse will test U.S. power grids with 12,000 megawatts expected to fall offline

Post your own stories/experiences, pictures if you can take them (unprotected camera/cellphone can be damaged!) Or, as a disinterested friend advised me, "Stick your face outside, close your eyes for a couple of minutes and then open them again. Boom! You saw an eclipse. You can do that any day you like."

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
I'm really glad some performers are getting work out of it ......

Bonnie Tyler to perform 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' during solar eclipse

....but I don't think you can make a career out of it. One paycheque every couple of decades? It better be a good one.

Me personally, sounds like a good time to go shopping at Costco. I'm hoping most people are out watching the partially eclipse, instead of being totally in my way. And they better stay off my lawn, too. *#*(

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I'm really glad some performers are getting work out of it ......

Bonnie Tyler to perform 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' during solar eclipse

....but I don't think you can make a career out of it. One paycheque every couple of decades? It better be a good one.

The next total eclipse in North America will be in seven years so she can perform for that too. Since eclipses happen very regularly in various parts of the world maybe she could earn a decent living doing a world eclipse tour?

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Just in case you haven't seen the warnings elsewhere, DO NOT look at the sun thinking, "Oh, 10 or 20 seconds can't hurt." It can, permanently and irreparably. Sunglasses won't save you, welding glasses won't save you, and proper viewing glasses seem to be sold out everywhere.

That kind of makes you wonder about the advisability of driving during the eclipse. There are several places around my subdivision where I know I am going to be blinded by the sun at various times of day, and sunglasses don't help. How many people are going to be driving and will come across a spot where the sun is directly in their line of vision?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
In the past several weeks about a dozen times I've considered and rejected the idea of driving to Kentucky to see today's solar eclipse. Last night at midnight I was thinking, "I could still make it there in time", but didn't go. It's no fun being practical.

For us in Canada the show will be far less spectacular than along the "path of totality" across the U.S. Just in case you haven't seen the warnings elsewhere, DO NOT look at the sun thinking, "Oh, 10 or 20 seconds can't hurt." It can, permanently and irreparably. Sunglasses won't save you, welding glasses won't save you, and proper viewing glasses seem to be sold out everywhere.

There are many reports and stories about this event that is predicted to be the most-watched eclipse event in history. Here's an article about one of the under-reported effects of the eclipse: a massive reduction in power from solar energy farms that will strain the rest of the grid for a few minutes.

Historic eclipse will test U.S. power grids with 12,000 megawatts expected to fall offline

Post your own stories/experiences, pictures if you can take them (unprotected camera/cellphone can be damaged!) Or, as a disinterested friend advised me, "Stick your face outside, close your eyes for a couple of minutes and then open them again. Boom! You saw an eclipse. You can do that any day you like."
How much more intense is the light compared to a normal day? I've stared at the sun many times with my welding mask and never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
17,608 Posts
I made a pin hole viewing box this morning.

My sister-in-law went to Casper, Wyoming (from Calgary) specifically to see the eclipse. She booked the tickets and motel months ago.

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
It's started already here. I've checked it out a few times using a welding helmet. not much to see yet, just a small portion of the top covered up

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
#12 welding lens works good. It's got to be a lens/helmet set up for stick welding. A MIG welding lens isn't enough. It's just finishing up here, the last 1/4 on the bottom covered now

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Most around here may have not noticed unless they were paying attention. Even a 75% partial eclipse is not going to dim things down that much. I've has a lot of past experience with manual film photography making educated guesses about the light. I noticed the mild dimming of light outside. Inside the house here, the dimming was a bit more noticeable. How much dimmer? I needed two stops more exposure to shoot a sunny day landscape. At ISO 100, exposure would normally be 1/125 sec @ f11. At the height of the eclipse my camera metered 1/50 @ f8. Did catch a very very very quick but good look at a reflection of the eclipse in my cell phone, about 2/3 partial.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Did the pinhole camera just to get my daily dose of science. It worked well. 2024 should be awesome. I wonder how the flat earthers explained it?

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
There are many reports and stories about this event that is predicted to be the most-watched eclipse event in history.
Well yeah, there's the most people alive right now haha.

We got "a few minutes" off work to check it out (some people definitely skipped doing any real work for half an hour). One of my coworkers used 3 pairs of sunglasses and a welding helmet to get a look as it started, and that worked. Another coworker had proper glass (probably used in a welding helmet) so that those of us at that exit could check it out. I used said glass to get a picture with my phone - not the best, but it's "artsy".

This took a lot of zooming in to get, or else the sun is too bright (as usual):

A friend in Toronto took this one:

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Pretty much missed it. I saw a bunch of people at work gathered around a window in the afternoon, and strolled over. One of them had made a pinhole thing with paper, and the light projected onto the paper underneath showed a crescent, but that was it.

L

·
0 Posts
I went outside at the peak time.
Didn't look up, but, I did notice that it was a little less bright.
Kinda like turning down the dimmer switch slightly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts