The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Social Media Is Evil?

1K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Diablo 
G
#1 ·
#8 ·
Well we can all quite Guitarscanada any time we want to--right?
;)

But I am not on Facebook, or any of those others--because I woudl either be on it a lot--or barely on it at all...

#9 ·
It's actually pretty sad. It's very true as well. The one that I find very, very interesting. Especially in these day's of intense whisteblowing and all the sexual harassment stuff going on. I am not in any way trying to trivialize sexual harassment, it's been out there forever and it's not good. But take a good look at things like Facebook. I myself can throw out a hundred examples of people, 90% of them female, that continuously post pictures of themselves, many times in provocative poses and clothing simply to get likes and comments. I know people that post the same pictures time after time after time, for years. Even though the pictures of them might be 15 years old and that body and face are only memories. What is that? What kind of world have we created that some people need continuous reinforcement that they are "whatever". The other one is the explosion in naked selfies. Either young people are that dumb or simply don't care that a selfie they took and sent out into cyber space of their boobs or dong or whatever is now out there forever. It cannot be taken back. I suppose it's not just the youngsters, I have seen some god awful pics of older men and women out there. How shameful. How embarrassing. For yourself and for your family. In my time positive reinforcement came from a real person that took the time to say " nice job" or "good work" or whatever. Based on something I actually did. Cellphones IMO were the greatest invention to come along in decades. They were also the worst invention to come along in decades. The lack of social interaction created by these devices and related technology are a hideous disease upon mankind. Pay attention the next time you are on a subway or in a restaurant or even in a movie theater. People simply cannot put them down. Unfortunately they can't even put them away when operating a motor vehicle.

We do NOT need to tell everyone on earth where we are every minute of the day and what we are doing and planning to do. I do like Facebook for staying in touch with family. I have a lot of family on the east coast and its a great way to stay in touch. If not for that, I am really not that interested in the daily postings of people that I am not that connected with. Anyone with more that 20 or 30 "friends" is fooling themselves.

#10 ·
We do NOT need to tell everyone on earth where we are every minute of the day and what we are doing and planning to do. I do like Facebook for staying in touch with family. I have a lot of family on the east coast and its a great way to stay in touch. If not for that, I am really not that interested in the daily postings of people that I am not that connected with. Anyone with more that 20 or 30 "friends" is fooling themselves.
You mean it might be a little self absorbed if I post pics of what I'm eating, or where I am, my kid's spelling assignment or my dog jumping in the air? ;)

I think I have about 70 FB friends and could easily cull that down to a very small number. I only follow about 6 and have all but about 10 on restricted so they can't see the very, very rare posts that I actually make.

Why do I put them on restricted as opposed to just unfriending them? Good question. I suppose it's to spare the feelings of many acquaintances or co-workers in real life (note, I did not say "friends" in real life) when they send a FB friend request.

I'll admit the one thing I don't get about FB postings is the need to share everything. Especially things like your anniversary, spouse or child's birthday or the anniversary of a death. I'd rather celebrate or remember these things in the real world --- or at least privately --- as opposed to making a post looking for likes or condolences. I certainly don't need to go on FB and say happy birthday to my wife. And I'd certainly never post something like "Four years ago today my cat "xxxxx" died..."

All in all, I'm starting to find FB more and more stupid and less enjoyable.

#11 ·
i wrote a song last night (started it anyway) on this exact topic.

I went to a real person presentation about social media and our kids. Stunning in a cold way.

My 4 kids don’t have internet at home. Don’t have cable tv. Barely have a computer to touch. Loving the country life.

My biggest worry is whether we are self controlling enough to get back to what matters. I’m not sure we are. Mainly because society have been slowly gravitating towards self imposed isolation personally while becoming famous (wannabe) online.

Cheers amigos.

#12 ·
Well, though I like to help and share knowledge, I do not live in open house and I do not go out much : cocooning ! I did open a facebook page last year because a guitar forum I attended said it was moving there.

I did explore facebook a bit but could not see there what I could not find directly on the net where I found it easier to find what I wanted. And I can call or email directly people who counts for me without "yelling" my private messages to the entire world.

As the guitar forum I attended there was not living anymore, I closed my facebook account. The old direct access is still working...

The main problem I see with facebook is that a private opinion you would discuss with friends around beers is going to become a nightmare as amongst a thousand people passing by, there will be a moron to jump to ceiling without any doorman around to calm him down.

And what about people discussing stupid crap they read on facebook. I discuss about breaking news once in a while, but do not debate about Mrs Smith who saw the Yeti or not. Gee ! These people really need to look for a hobby !

Nop, not that social, not that mediatic. Not for me.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm not a big facebooker.
I occasionally share a special pic, event or sentiment, but that's about it.
It's become a vehicle that in some cases has made me like some people less that I previously liked.
Like the guy I used to work with that it turns out is a social justice warrior who constantly posts angry messages /opinions about things in politics or the news. I'm there to see pics of how much your kids have grown, or what they've achieved, not argue or be preached at about some fake news story that got you riled up.

Or the friend of my wife's who for some reason added me, that on one day posted 6 pics of herself in dollar store New Year's Eve novelty sunglasses. You'd think some people grew up in a remote tribe that had never seen cameras before.

Or the other coworker who must have had a parole officer previously as he feels the need to update us with every location, even McDonald's, that he visits.

I just don't get the appeal. And apparently that makes me old and curmudgeonly.

#14 ·
So I went on the Facebook hiatus for about a year.
I received a phone call from the guitar centre in the United States and I asked how they got my information and they told me through Facebook.
I did proceeded to tell them that I was living in Calgary Canada and will they still ship free of charge as I just received a phone call about it.
Immediately received an apology and the phone went dead.
I shut down my Facebook account really didn’t miss it for the year,
Then thought about doing guitar pedal reviews and selling used items that I find at thrift stores on my website, was told by media publisher that “social media is the way to go!” so, back I went on Facebook.
More of a limited return as I had unfriended large amount of people, but was surprised to find that acquaintances and people who bullied me through high school, still sent friend quest.
This, makes me think, maybe I will remove myself again from the book of face.
There is a great series on Netflix at the moment called “Black Mirror” well that was an episode where to improve ones lot in life, you have to have a certain amount of social media likes and approvals to get, well, ahead. Fun. And scary at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: butterknucket
#15 ·
The one thing I do like about FB is following things of interest to me --- be it guitar, music stores, golf, musicians, bands, etc.

That is, until they cross that fine line of too frequent posts. Lol.

I'm surprised at how some stores can't see the benefit of FB. Tundra Music rarely posts anything (granted, their website sucks too so they obviously don't place a huge importance on the Internet.).

#16 ·
I like Facebook for keeping up with family and the ease of sharing family things amongst ourselves without the clumsiness of email cc's. The extended family and friends can easily be included if and when appropriate.

Also, for all those friends I've made over a lifetime who still care about me (and often, each other) it's a great method of staying current.

One thing I didn't anticipate when I joined Facebook was the benefit to my music lesson business. I'm a control freak at the best of times so i keep a firm hold on the page, but it helps me spread the word, motivate, and reach out.

Luckily, except for one instance about seven years ago, I haven't had issues with identity theft or scamming of any kind. That one time required Facebook to pay attention when I got the OPP's assistance.

I fully understand how and why Facebook can be used for unseemly things, but I've been innocently immune from it...as far as I know. Therein lies the rub...it seems we're victims before we're aware it's even possible. Life is full of risks, and this is one I'm willing to accept for now.

I don't think I'm addicted to Facebook (but I also didn't believe I was once addicted to alcohol...maybe I'm the wrong one to judge), I have no problem going days without a fix, and no problem ignoring stuff on it. I don't dream about it.

#17 ·
No Facebook here. I find texting a simple, easy and painless way to keep in touch with family and friends. Even an actual phone call on occasion.
My daughter sent post cards on her cross Canada trip, it was like receiving a gift.

Something I find curious are municipal Facebook pages. What really is the point? If you are not on Facebook, how do you access municipal info posted there? A properly maintained and updated website is way more beneficial and inclusive. That goes for many businesses too.

#20 ·
No Facebook here. I find texting a simple, easy and painless way to keep in touch with family and friends. Even an actual phone call on occasion.
My daughter sent post cards on her cross Canada trip, it was like receiving a gift.

Something I find curious are municipal Facebook pages. What really is the point? If you are not on Facebook, how do you access municipal info posted there? A properly maintained and updated website is way more beneficial and inclusive. That goes for many businesses too.
What *I think* the point is, Facebook allows its members to get around CASL laws. it allows businesses to promote themselves to members in ways they cant through email. Its push vs pull marketing.

#18 ·
So far, the wife & I have both resisted Face Book and other sorts of social media. Pintrest & Google are all we are involved with. Google is bad enough sometimes. Even Pintrest gets off track. When they start sending you the names of people with interests similar to your own, that's gone too far in my books.
Am I missing out by not being on Facebook? Probably.

#19 ·
Nah, Dave, I don't think so. I mean, my kids (all in their 20's) have it but don't talk about it much. Neither I nor my wife have ever had an account.

We do text a lot, and mrs spends a fair amount of time on the phone with friends and family. And I'm a forum whore, which is a form of social media I know. But FB is a whole nother level (also LinkedIn and others like it), to which I've been occasionally curious but never enough to take the plunge.

#21 ·
I have no social media accounts. Closest thing I have is LinkedIn. If you can call it SM. I have never posted to it.

There are times when I think of opening a FaceBook account. I have a lot of relatives in the UK who are ALL on it. But then I do not want the headache of the posts of people letting me know 1) they're hungry 2) what they just ate 3) the bowel movement that followed. A good friend said "it's all about how you manage it, and who you're "friends" with".

So.... I couldn't friend my kids?? Is that what you're saying?? Cause they are the type to post that stuff.

I am so anti-Social Media, I ask people specifically to not post me on their accounts. If we are in a group shot, don't post without asking me. I'm not a wanted man or anything, but I've had too many occasions where people I don't really know ask me how I liked a certain event... "How do you know that?" "So and so posted it on FaceBook". ANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all that said, Google is the most intrusive thing in the (known) world! I cannot believe some of the things it is capable of knowing.

#24 ·
With all that said, Google is the most intrusive thing in the (known) world! I cannot believe some of the things it is capable of knowing.
Everything is intrusive online now.

Two minutes ago I recd an email from Ticketmaster with the heading "Still interested in Toronto Maple Leafs tix you've been checking out?"

Last night I was looking at Leaf tix. I didn't realize until now that I was still logged into Ticketmaster from when I last bought tix a few months ago for a concert.

Nor did I realize I hadn't unchecked boxes that stop them from sending me emails for things that I "might be interested in" according to them.

Yeah, all those boxes are unchecked now.

#26 ·
So I went on the Facebook hiatus for about a year.
I received a phone call from the guitar centre in the United States and I asked how they got my information and they told me through Facebook.
I did proceeded to tell them that I was living in Calgary Canada and will they still ship free of charge as I just received a phone call about it.
Immediately received an apology and the phone went dead.
I shut down my Facebook account really didn’t miss it for the year,
Then thought about doing guitar pedal reviews and selling used items that I find at thrift stores on my website, was told by media publisher that “social media is the way to go!” so, back I went on Facebook.
More of a limited return as I had unfriended large amount of people, but was surprised to find that acquaintances and people who bullied me through high school, still sent friend quest.
This, makes me think, maybe I will remove myself again from the book of face.
There is a great series on Netflix at the moment called “Black Mirror” well that was an episode where to improve ones lot in life, you have to have a certain amount of social media likes and approvals to get, well, ahead. Fun. And scary at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I saw that Black Mirror episode. It was called "Nosedive" and even though it was well done and thought provoking it was also more than a little creepy and unsettling. As for me, I've never used Facebook, Twitter or any other social media. To each his/her own. :)

#27 ·
there is no denying: social media is a big event in our evolutionary progress

maybe we'll eventually have a fulltime, common consciousness. shared by everyone

but right now, I think it's pretty much a waste of time

#28 ·
There is a music store that I used to get emails from that now only post stuff on Facebook--I asked them why--I guess it was easier for them to just post on Facebook--it shouldn't really be a whole lot of extra work, most of them do it.

Their solution for me?

Um, no...

And so the ones that send me an email get my attention and are more likely to get my money.

Still do Facebook--sure...
But they stopped sending emails & didn't even tell me to go on Facebook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.