The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, daughter and I were down in Barrie earlier this evening and I mentioned that we should check out Dot On Shaft guitars and so we did. All I can say for the store is 'wow', very nice candy in there. As we're looking around the place Mike came up to me and told me to check out this semi hollow Tele copy. I picked it up and was very impressed with the weight, acoustic sound and just the general vibe of the guitar. He then told me that they were $99!

So after several minutes I snapped up a pretty little semi gloss hollow body, I was really torn between it and a black solid body. For $99 bucks how could I go wrong.

Upon leaving the store I told my wife of the inner battle between the two guitars. I put the guitar in the rear of the car and started to buckle the baby into her guitar seat and was yapping away to my wife who had apparently disappeared. Next thing I know out she walks with the other Tele!

I think I'm up for the rest of the night.

How do I post pics on here?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You're a lucky man. You've got a really cool wife.

Post some pics soon, or let us know what model these guitars are so we can have a look on the stores website. I posted in another thread that they get some of their guitars made by Kraken, which is probably one of the producers that will change people's opinion about Korean made guitars.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Post pics ASAP! You're giving me GAS pains here. Been wanting to check out that store for awhile. Tomorrow I might take a boost up there, see what's happening.

PS - Your wife rocks!

·
Premium Member
17,167 Posts
nice grab, for $100 too!

i'll probably be in barrie in december to visit my grandparents, i plan on checking out the store

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm very lucky indeed.

I was messing around in the garage a little while ago while my wife and daughter were out were out.

When I came into the house she said that she had something else for me....

She's awesome.

I was a little excited the other night and left some details out.

The satin natural Tele is a semi-hollow standard 3-way switch and knob config model AE-201.

The Ivory Tele is completely solid, model AE-100 standard config as well.

And the latest blue flame top is dual bucking with a mini switch to split the coils. 2 volume and one master tone. Model AE-101

They all sound incredible for 100.

Mike said all the guitars with the "coin" on the headstock were all $99 but that they would likely be going up in price soon. He had some very nice Brian May copies that were also $99. Not my thing really but very cool.

I figured for $99 if the electronics sucked it was still worth it to mess around with but they're not too bad at all.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Those are all nice guitars. I like the natural Tele, although I'd remove the tortoise shell pickguard and sub in something else. But man... a hundred bucks a pop? You can't go wrong. Congratulations again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually my wife does have a sister who is the complete and total opposite of her....for real.

The guitars play great, action is pretty decent, they came with 9 to 42's on it which are a little too slinky for me. I usually play with 10-52's so I'll need to make some adjustments.

The fretwork is pretty spot on, medium wire, no edges felt anywhere. The natural and ivory both have unfinished chunky necks, nice and round. The blue's neck is slightly less curved and has a satin finish on it.

The pickups all seem pretty responsive, I'm currently running through a solid state amp so I find them to have the same characteristics tonally. You can completely tell the differences between split and bucking on the blue one and the tone and volume knobs work very well, if not a little scratchy. No biggie.

The inlay's are a little off but I'm not looking for absolute perfection in a $99 guitar, they're players though.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Nice guitars!! To bad the store wasn't open today or I might have one too. I was up at a friends in Wasaga this weekend so we went to Barrie today to check out the shop. Oh well, I should be back up in a few weeks. Did get to play a Vintage brand strat(non-relic) at Music Pro, if I had the money I would have bought it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts