The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Bonamassa get lots of criticism. Many don't like him. Many more must like him though cause his shows sell out. Maybe its just the critics are more vocal.
My opinion, I like him. I enjoy watching or listening to the odd video on youtube. I really like the album Ballad of John Henry. But have had real trouble getting in to any other album. In some ways I just find it boring. He sings great. I think he has a good voice. Maybe too flawless for blues? I don't know. I enjoy watching his indulgent wanking. I'm not sure I completely feel soul coming off his fingers.
I'd go to one of his concerts but I certainly haven't been motivated to get off my ass and buy tickets.
I feel like I should be a little more hyped about him because I really don't see anything wrong with him. But here I am, not that excited. I'm trying not to sound too critical because I do like his playing and singing. Is there maybe a recommended album I should be listening to?
Hows everyone else feel?

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
He is good in concert, but I don't listen to his music otherwise. Like you, I find his music lacking "soul", for lack of a better word. Don't care for his voice either.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Bought almost all his CDs some years ago after being fiberglasted by his spectacular acoustic intro piece at Prince Albert Hall in London years ago. Can't remember his rocking electric blues nor his voice anymore ! :-(

P

·
0 Posts
I am bored when I watch. I think being a child blues prodigy and having it captured on YouTube helped his reputation.

12 years old:

13 years old:

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
He is a professional musician doing what he wants to do. He has done more to keep the blues alive than anyone living today. He certainly has my respect. As for his music some is good, some is not, some is really good. I rarely go to concerts anymore preferring to spend my entertainment money supporting local talent in smaller venues. I was sorely tempted when I heard he was playing the Queen E in Vancouver but in the end it was more expensive than I am willing to pay.

Edit: I really enjoy his videos of all his gear I’ll never get a chance to try. He is obviously a gearhead. I’d love to have a couple of beers and shoot the shit with him.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I like JB quite a bit. Great player, interesting person, cool gear. I don't over saturate myself with any particular genre or player, so I can't really say I've listened to a lot of his stuff. But I managed to get his latest album download for free and kinda dig it. But I do get that he could get a bit boring. I don't really understand the hate out there for him though. Pretty unwarranted IMO.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Good guitar player, but everything about him is like a big bowl of Generioos! It's all so generic and cliche. I comes off to me as a 'musical review' stage show. Well executed but far too safe to be of any interest to me.

It's music though, there is no right and wrong.

TG

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Agreed, technically excellent, but not really my thing. I’ve seen him once at nac in Ottawa and I was impressed by the gear and the polished band but really didn’t like the music or connect with it at all. Maybe if I listened to more of his stuff I would get into it.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I see Bonamassa get lots of criticism. Many don't like him. Many more must like him though cause his shows sell out. Maybe its just the critics are more vocal.
My opinion, I like him. I enjoy watching or listening to the odd video on youtube. I really like the album Ballad of John Henry. But have had real trouble getting in to any other album. In some ways I just find it boring. He sings great. I think he has a good voice. Maybe too flawless for blues? I don't know. I enjoy watching his indulgent wanking. I'm not sure I completely feel soul coming off his fingers.
I'd go to one of his concerts but I certainly haven't been motivated to get off my ass and buy tickets.
I feel like I should be a little more hyped about him because I really don't see anything wrong with him. But here I am, not that excited. I'm trying not to sound too critical because I do like his playing and singing. Is there maybe a recommended album I should be listening to?
Hows everyone else feel?
I could have written your description using much the same words. It's pretty much how I feel about him too. Very talented and knowledgeable about tone, gear and the blues in general but for some inexplicable reason doesn't grab me for long. He recently did an album with Beth Hart on vocals that I enjoy.

If I were to guess it's that he can imitate virtually any well known blues or blues rock player but to me has no identifiable sound of his own. A note from BB King and you know it's him, A note from Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page and any memorable guitarist you can name and they probably have a signature sound that's immediately identifiable. Bonamassa not so much, to me anyway.
That said he can play circles around many guitarists out there and I'm sure he'd be entertaining in concert. No hate for him whatsoever.

Reactions: Johnny6String

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
JB is the guest on the current podcast episode of GuitarWank (yes it's a valid, and interesting, podcast). He's supposed to be on the next two as well, all from a single afternoon visit. I highly recommend you give it a listen. Very interesting to hear his insights on everything from gear to touring to recording to dealing with the haters.

I'm very curious to see him in Toronto in November, but the cost of tickets... oh my! About $300 and up for a seat up close.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Very talented but boring.
I agree. I see guys who play like him every jam night. I don't really understand why he is famous. He has not written one single song I have heard on the radio.
He has not done an original lick or tone.
SRV was pure blues and he had tons of radio play.
JB is pretty much a cover guitarist who for some strange reason, got a ton of fame.
But...good for him!

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Well that's just a preposterous statement.
It’s certainly anecdotal but several of my friends are fans of him. Before they discovered him they were not blues fans. Now they ask me what other blues musicians they should listen to. He is a marketing machine, nothing wrong with that, and he is constantly pushing other blues musicians out to his audience. He does podcasts, interviews, etc. where all he talks about is other blues musicians. He has introduced a new generation to the blues. He has done a tour dedicated to the three kings. In his concerts he often talks about where the song he is playing came from. His web sites sells blues music that is not generally available in main stream stores. Who else can you name that is currently doing as much for the blues? Most guitar players seem ambivalent about his music. I agree with them. His audience are mostly not guitar players. His audience is a mix of all generations, mostly rock fans, who are learning about the blues from him.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I really liked Dust Bowl. Blues with a hint if country. Features Vince Gill I think.

As for JB, his voice is ok, but I tend to prefer bigger voices. (SRV, KWS, Moore)
His playing is incredibly clean which is why he might be considered “boring” by some.

All and all he’s a hell of a player/musician in my mind.

·
Premium Member
16,783 Posts
He's doing what most people wish they did: put the hours in early, and reap the rewards for the rest of their life.

I have a couple JB tunes on itunes but dont know his work (from entering a contest). I know he's a gear nut and has chops.

Im glad the dude is out there doing what he does. I just hope his collection is redistributed when he's done ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts