The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My only advice my friend,
Buy some patches if you intend on having a drink.
Don’t be afraid to put one on if you are having a hell of a day.

Congrats on the achievement!
You’ll be saving a lot of money and gaining a a lot of mental clarity.

I only drink British beer (well, I drink rye too). I stocked up two weeks before quitting. My birthday was also a couple of days before quit, and my brother gave me a mixed 24 of my favourite British beers. I don't dare drink any of them right now. What a waste!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
You’ll get the odd craving for years but the thing you need to realize about cravings is...if you can divert your attention for 3 or 4 minutes, it’ll pass.

Get a craving? Go make a pot of coffee, or wash the couple of dishes in the sink, throw a load of laundry in, whatever it takes to think of something other than a smoke for a few minutes.

Identify your triggers and minimize them for the first year and you’ll be fine.

Don’t avoid smokers, you should be able to be around them without giving in. You can’t live in a non-smoking bubble.

You’ll feel noticeably better after two or three weeks.

·
Premium Member
13,417 Posts
.. my brother gave me a mixed 24 of my favourite British beers.
I don't dare drink any of them right now. What a waste!!!!!
I'll gladly help you with your smoking abstinence and take that case of temptation off of your hands. ;) :whistle:

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm doing OK thus far today. I have a nasty migraine (normal for me so nothing to do with quitting) so am going to take some medication and then have a nap. Sleeping will help me get some more time under my belt.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Yes I quit too
Breathing air instead of smoke
your body will start to heal and you will feel better
good on ya !

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Quitting can be hard but it doesn't have to be. I smoked for about 12 years- late teens to around early 30's. Quit for good in the mid 90's. Never a heavy smoker but maybe a half pack a day at worst. I quit a few times and was always disgusted with myself for starting again. The main driver to quit- besides the blatantly obvious health benefit- was that I hated being addicted to a substance. Also, increasingly, smokers were being looked upon as a pariah in society- rightly so. Smokers reek. They pollute the air around them and diminish the health of anyone who is near them on a regular basis. There is NO good reason to smoke. It is a stupid and selfish habit. When I see someone smoking these days, that is exactly what I think of them.
I replaced smoking with healthier pursuits. You should do the same- makes the quitting seem so much more worthwhile.
Sorry, not much of a pep talk eh? :LOL:
I've become an even more militant anti-smoker during the pandemic. It's especially disgusting to breath in and smell someone's cigarette smoke, smoke that you know has come from someone's potentially covid infected lungs and is now in yours. A smoker would never consider this though.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I quit for 3 years and started again. That bugs me and I can't get the mindset to quit again. I didn't consider myself a non smoker until a year went by without one.
I took up smoking in my 20s and quit some time in my 30s. I never considered myself "a smoker" and I think that helped me.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That does bring up an interesting question - when can I consider myself a non-smoker?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I smoked from 14 - 40, tried quitting a number of times a number of ways, hypnosis with a casette tape to sleep to, the patch , cold turkey a few times.
Another long timer I knew who seemed to cave in to quitting, quit with ease using Wellbutrin, I had other smokers tell me it worked..so with all that in mind I said wtf. Doc prescribed it gladly to see me quit.
I took this pill and kept smoking, then roughly 1.5 weeks later I just didn't feel like smoking, it was kinda weird, but there it is..just about that simple. Once I stopped smoking, I stayed taking that pill as prescribed, I think it was a month total,maybe more ?? it's been 16 years since that day. Very rarely I smell a cigarette burning and it smells soooo goood, but that goes away quickly, normally it just stinks
for an extra bonus : I coughed up lung butter for a good long time..it's kinda more tricky that you might think too, having to hock a big nasty loogy in public lol

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
When I was in grade 7 or 8, the neighbour kid and I used to gather up all the good butts in the ashtrays around the house and collect the left over tobacco. We made a couple of corn cob pipes and for awhile would put the used tobacco in the pipes and smoke them. We never inhaled them but thought we looked pretty cool. I never did start smoking but sometimes I wonder if many years of playing in smoky bars has done damage to my lungs. Congrats on quitting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you, and for my part..sorry for all my second hand smoke. It is nasty, as a smoker I always tried to keep clear if possible.
If you have never been in a smoke room where all the smokers in a building have to go, it burns your eyes, like being in L.A. smog in the 70's,

or move a picture on the wall of a long time smokers house and see the outline of tar and smoke goo lol

after getting over the addiction, which was fairly easy on that pill, it's the hand to mouth habit that is so impossible, I had sunflower seeds, but I ate way too many and developed issues in my gut, luckily they seem to clear up once I got that under control.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I say thanks as if you are talking to me and not colchar lol wake and bake maybe ?
hang in there colchar ! will power. half the battle is the will to quit, I was ready and wanted to quit, but too weak to do it on my own.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I smoked from 14 - 40, tried quitting a number of times a number of ways, hypnosis with a casette tape to sleep to, the patch , cold turkey a few times.
Another long timer I knew who seemed to cave in to quitting, quit with ease using Wellbutrin, I had other smokers tell me it worked..so with all that in mind I said wtf. Doc prescribed it gladly to see me quit.
I took this pill and kept smoking, then roughly 1.5 weeks later I just didn't feel like smoking, it was kinda weird, but there it is..just about that simple. Once I stopped smoking, I stayed taking that pill as prescribed, I think it was a month total,maybe more ?? it's been 16 years since that day. Very rarely I smell a cigarette burning and it smells soooo goood, but that goes away quickly, normally it just stinks
for an extra bonus : I coughed up lung butter for a good long time..it's kinda more tricky that you might think too, having to hock a big nasty loogy in public lol
Yeah Zyban (Wellbutrin) is good stuff. It was designed as ananti-depressant, but they realized people were quitting smoking so marketed it as a smoking cessation aid too.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts