The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
I did smoke but honestly 6-7 through out a whole day. A pack lasted me for 3 days depending on stress levels. My husband quit a long time ago and was always asking me,”when are you quitting”? I quit a couple of years ago. It didn’t bother me at all to quit. I do notice others that smoke around me on their lunch breaks. It’s the smell.

Good for you Colchar! Keep moving forwards!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent! Just remember that you can never have another cigarette. If you do and start up again, you've lost. If you do and don't start up again, you will be fooled into thinking you can smoke again anytime and you'll be fine, which is not true.
This is the absolute truth. I quit 5 times before I realized this. Always started again when I “negotiated“ with myself that I could just have “just one”. It’s been 19 years since I quit cigarettes for the last time and will never smoke them again.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Keep going. It gets easier. And congratulations. That's awesome.

Reactions: colchar and oldjoat

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
There is no downside to quitting.
Not sure if it's a downside or not, but I knew a guy years ago who, about 2 weeks after quitting, discovered that, now that he could actually taste it, he didn't like beef.
Thankfully I don't need anything.
"Need"? What is "need"?

Seriously though, congrats and hang in there!

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
@colchar it sucks, it’s hard, but so worth it.
Been…. 14 years now.
it's the habit/routine.
so much that I always associated a Jack & Coke with a cigarette.
That, was a hard one to break.

Reactions: cheezyridr

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
This is the absolute truth. I quit 5 times before I realized this. Always started again when I “negotiated“ with myself that I could just have “just one”. It’s been 19 years since I quit cigarettes for the last time and will never smoke them again.
In the past I always rationalized that one would be OK to get me over the hump, and then I'd negotiate with myself. Soon I'd be a full blown smoker again.

This time I am not allowing that. The idea has crept into my head a couple of times, but I pushed the idea away quickly.

This evening was a bit rough, but I forced my way through it and feel OK now. After a night's sleep I'll be on to my fifth day. I last smoked on Sunday, and I am looking forward to making it to a week.

·
Premium Member
9,729 Posts
Coming up 16 months, last dart 1/31/20. A few months from the longest I’ve quit since about 1980, cleaner no cheat this time around is easy, no social anxiety due to the pandemic. I won’t go back, now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good on you! My Father and wife were smokers and both quit cold turkey. They eventually became the biggest complainers of other people smoking. Couldn’t stand to smell it and wouldn’t even ride the same elevator of a smoker as they could smelled it on their clothes. I recall reading it takes 9 years for the lungs to repair the damage done by smoking so stick at it, enjoy the savings, and better health.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Good on you! My Father and wife were smokers and both quit cold turkey. They eventually became the biggest complainers of other people smoking. Couldn’t stand to smell it and wouldn’t even ride the same elevator of a smoker as they could smelled it on their clothes. I recall reading it takes 9 years for the lungs to repair the damage done by smoking so stick at it, enjoy the savings, and better health.
Yep, the old saying: "the worst anti-smoker, is an ex-smoker".

·
Premium Member
11,413 Posts
I'm happy for you. Smoking is evil, and not just for the smoker but for those around them.

Make the best of it.

·
Premium Member
18,598 Posts
I last smoked on Sunday, and I am looking forward to making it to a week.
Every day will get easier and easier. Before you realize it, you will have quit for a month...then a year...then you don't think about it and begin to forget when you actually quit.

Treat yourself to another BBQ'd steak soon.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Good for you...It's been sooo long since I quit!! Definitely feels great and think of all the money you'll save and all the nice gear you can treat yourself to, too!!!!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Not an easy path to follow. As for the lungs healing well they actually don't really heal but do start to work better after only 6 months of non smoking. The tea should help and it doesn't hurt to look into other cessation methods to help you through this journey and it is a journey.
Good luck .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't give up, it is so worth it in the end. One thing that kept me motivated was to allow myself a side project that I could sink whatever money I was not spending on cigarettes. I was not a heavy smoker, about 2 packs a week, but that's still $1000 a year. Here is what I did with the first 8 year's worth, and it was still cheaper than the cigarettes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
. . . to be a non-smoker eh?

After 35 years (give or take a year) of smoking basically a pack a day, I quit a few days ago. I'd wanted to for a while, but hadn't planned to that day. I just realized as evening approached that I hadn't smoked at all that day so decided not to. And I haven't since.

Best part about it is that I feel fine. Some minor cravings, but otherwise fine.
Good for you. Cigarettes are evil stuff. I watched my mother die from the effects of smoking.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
NEVER QUIT QUITTING! I threw a brand new pack onto the 402 in 1992 and never looked back. All I thought about was my kids, who were young at the time, and their health. How could anyone tell their kids not to smoke when they do it themselves? Now I think it is disgusting and absolutely no reason for it in spite of what some people say. First 3 months are tough because you will do a lot of the same things you did when you would light up. A small change to those habits will really help. After 3 months you will see a significant difference. Don't forget the first 3 word of this post should you lapse. Good for you! (y)

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
. . . to be a non-smoker eh?

After 35 years (give or take a year) of smoking basically a pack a day, I quit a few days ago. I'd wanted to for a while, but hadn't planned to that day. I just realized as evening approached that I hadn't smoked at all that day so decided not to. And I haven't since.

Best part about it is that I feel fine. Some minor cravings, but otherwise fine.
My only advice my friend,
Buy some patches if you intend on having a drink.
Don’t be afraid to put one on if you are having a hell of a day.

Congrats on the achievement!
You’ll be saving a lot of money and gaining a a lot of mental clarity.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts