The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went to send money via paypal and couldn't. It seems they want to "verify" my account and require photo id and a bill statement with my address. I called their customer service, they opened by thanking me for holding an account since 2001, and then were incredibly rude, condescending, and unable to answer my questions.

Q: "Why do you need this info?"
A: "To verify your account"

Q: "But you just thanked me for 16 years of patronage, what are you trying to verify and why now"
A: "Things change, we need the info"

Q: "What changed"
A: "Federal Laws"

Q: "Canadian Laws? Which law?"
A: "The Law"

Q: "What is the name of the specific law or piece of legislation that requires you to have this info. I think you are just data mining. Tell me the exact law/legislation so that I can "verify" your claim."
A: "I don't know. It just changed. I don't know"

Q: "There is no way I am giving you this info. I've been with you for 16 years, you cannot even tell me why you need this info, and you have been incredibly rude. I am going to close my account, I am done."
A: "You cannot close your account because it has a restriction on it!"

At this point I become irate. From the start, the woman on the phone kept cutting me off, shouting me down (long before I raised my voice), and basically said "we don't care" when I threatened to leave; she quickly followed with, "you cannot leave."

Conveniently, I can still buy stuff from online stores and even accept money into my account. I cannot, however, withdraw that money to my bank account or send money to non-businesses.

I'm at a loss for words. Has anyone else experienced this?

TG

·
Premium Member
18,191 Posts
Not with Paypal, but I had my facebook mobile app randomly shut down with a "session expired" message (WTF) and then a request for government ID to verify my account.

I have no idea why the hell social media would require government ID. It really shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Not with Paypal, but I had my facebook mobile app randomly shut down with a "session expired" message (WTF) and then a request for government ID to verify my account.

I have no idea why the hell social media would require government ID. It really shouldn't.
Did you give it up to get access back?

·
Premium Member
18,191 Posts
I used my health card, and also used the website version as we were on tour. I got an email two days later saying thanks and everything is fine. I did file a complaint with their support service asking why they required the information in the first place. I have no idea where it goes, a Google search didn't show anything explaining it... I don't like it.

I would probably delete facebook if it weren't so damn necessary to help push the band. I'm sure I could recover my Skype password to keep in touch with my parents.

·
Premium Member
9,729 Posts
It's probably the US Fed, and doesn't matter that you're Canadian as it's where they are based, not where you are.

I work for a large lender. The amount of hoops we have to go through these days to satisfy legislators is extremely ridiculous and burdensome. Our organization has spent tens of millions of unexpected expense (NOT FINES) hiring lawyers and trainers all about compliance....mostly to do with the American Dodd Frank legislation, which came about as a result of the financial crisis but has been slow rolling out and rolled out in stages. Some of the bodies created under DF have not guidelines and can arbitrarily impose penalties, without recourse/ability to appeal. That's just out of control bureaucracy. And very scary for us.

As to Trump, he wants to get rid of a bunch of this garbage, not make it worse.

·
Premium Member
9,729 Posts
yes after and as a result of, but well after before it was enacted, and parts of it still haven't rolled out as it has been coming out in stages or pieces. 99.9% of the regulations have nothing to do with what caused the crisis. There are some useful pieces in it, very few would argue. But they have created huge burdens on smaller (relatively speaking) institutions (like the one I work for, or say a place like PayPal) that could never on their own create any kind of systemic meltdown.

We also have to have picture ID on file for any deal we have done. It's all about fraud prevention.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Damn. I guess I should enjoy my last 10 months at GC. If I have to go through that to pay my $15 yearly fee, the CBA will tip the other way.

·
Premium Member
9,729 Posts
It's so bad we can't even SELL a piece of equipment (repo or off lease) in Canada or the US without running the buyers name thru a tool that cross checks with the US Fed (and it cross checks Canadian records in my case) for links to money laundering, terrorism, and other types of potential criminal activity. You can imagine me trying to explain this to some small town farmer or acreage owner that wants to buy a used baler or tractor or whatever. Their reaction is occasionally much like TG's.

Every credit application, for every lender US or Canada, is run thru the same type of background check, so if you've applied for a loan lease mortgage credit card or anything with any substantial financial institution in the past couple of years, you've been vetted if you were approved, though you likely didn't know it.

It has nothing specifically to do with 'sending money back home' unless they get a hit as noted above for some form of illicit activity. If they do, funds are instantly frozen pending investigation, and potentially forfeit.

So, TG, I'd say there's almost no chance it's data mining, just PayPal complying with federal legislation that is indeed fairly recent. Financial institutions are still trying to wrap their heads around what they need to do to be in compliance, it's very complex and not black and white. We'll undoubtedly hear more similar stories.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Big brother is watching you or it's pure bullshit!

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man.

You have entered the Twilight Zone!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I've been "verified" with paypal for years...is this some new thing?

maybe you just never got verifed?

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
So,..... Why do they want photo ID, online, for a person they cannot see to verify the photo is of the same person presenting it?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been "verified" with paypal for years...is this some new thing?

maybe you just never got verifed?
Nope, I've been verified for years. I've had the same account since 2001.

To top it off, my amp finally sold and now I have cash I my account that I cannot withdraw until I give the info. I am seriously considering contacting a media outlet as it I surely a juicy story for them and will resonate with their audience. PayPal completely dismissed me, but maybe if the press starts asking . . .

1 - 20 of 53 Posts