The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How was the show in Mississauga Friday night? I was really itching to drive up there, but my son had an accident on his bike and required medical attention. He was not a comfortable lad and I wanted to saty with him.

When I logged on to your site and realized who you were I stopped to think about the songs you wrote or played on on those early April Wine albums. For that alone, you deserve our respect and admiration.

Drop Your Guns is one of my all time favorites man. The bass riff in the middle section is one that I've always found myself noodling with when I pick up a bass.

I WILL make it to one of your shows.

Hope it went well.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
what?:confused-smiley-010

·
Premium Member
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xanadu said:
what?:confused-smiley-010

David Henman, who regularly posts here was one of the founding members of April Wine. He played guitar on the first three albums and wrote a number of great songs including Drop Your Guns.

I wouldn't post this if it wasn't easily available via his site as he seems to keep a relatively low profile.

Credit where credit's due.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Milkman said:
David Henman, who regularly posts here was one of the founding members of April Wine. He played guitar on the first three albums and wrote a number of great songs including Drop Your Guns.

I wouldn't post this if it wasn't easily available via his site as he seems to keep a relatively low profile.

Credit where credit's due.
that's awesome:smilie_flagge17:

·
Premium Member
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff Flowerday said:
This is where all the youngins on the forum go, Who is April Wine?

They are definately one of my all time favorite canadian groups.

Canadians can have their passports taken away for not being familiar with April Wine.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Show's what I know. I met David a few weeks ago when I bought a pickup of him(thanks again!) and I didn't even know. Cool!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was at the April Wine concert when they were in Dartmouth not that long ago. Im also from Waverley, same as another one of the band members.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I saw them open, with mountain, for deep purple when they came to town. It was an awesome show.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice.....

Xanadu said:
I saw them open, with mountain, for deep purple when they came to town. It was an awesome show.
Three just excellent bands! I remember April Wine playing at our high school dances, that's going way back. Deep Purple was my favorite band growing up, saw them with the original lineup at the Gardens, talk about loud!

And what can you say about Mountain... Leslie West, Nantucket Sleighride, one of my favorite bands to this day.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
cbh747 said:
Three just excellent bands! I remember April Wine playing at our high school dances, that's going way back. Deep Purple was my favorite band growing up, saw them with the original lineup at the Gardens, talk about loud!

And what can you say about Mountain... Leslie West, Nantucket Sleighride, one of my favorite bands to this day.
I've never heard of mountain before the concert, but they put on a really loud, amazing show.

·
Premium Member
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeff Flowerday said:
IMO, let's leave the subject alone. Give the man some peace!

If he wanted to discuss it he would have by now. .02

I suspect that's true, and if I've caused any unwanted attention, I apologize, but as I said this information is readily available via David's site which can be accessed through this site.

If he really wanted it to be secret he would have probably used a pseudonym here.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Milkman said:
I suspect that's true, and if I've caused any unwanted attention, I apologize, but as I said this information is readily available via David's site which can be accessed through this site.

If he really wanted it to be secret he would have probably used a pseudonym here.
No I understand man. My comment wasn't to anyone in particular it was just an observation.:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeff Flowerday said:
No I understand man. My comment wasn't to anyone in particular it was just an observation.:food-smiley-004:

Right, I knew that, but I'd feel bad if I caused unwanted attention just the same. David has been very low key, just one of the guys and I'd hate to spoil that, but hey the guy played on some tunes that I grew up loving and I wanted to offer praise.

I'll let it die now.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
SinCron said:
I was at the April Wine concert when they were in Dartmouth not that long ago. Im also from Waverley, same as another one of the band members.
...too cool!

myles, who really IS april wine, grew up in waverly. his first band was "woody's termites" and included my cousin jim henman, the original bassist in april wine.

oddly enough, i formed a partnership with another singer who grew up in waverly, glenn reid:

www.glennreid.ca

we no longer perform together, but still co-write.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
CocoTone said:
How come you left the band Dave??
CT.:confused-smiley-010
...sorry, guys, i just saw this thread. i'm spending way too much time at my day job actually working today (grin)!

we started the band on dec 1, 1969. we were very, very naive and thought we would be as famous as the beatles within six months and then go straight to our solo careers!

the reality is that myles was a very driven artist, and being in a "democratic" band probably drove him crazy. after the third album, we split. myles wanted to go forward with jim clench, the bassist. i was asked to join, but i didn't want to be a "hired hand". more to the point, my brother, who didn't get along with myles, was not asked to join. we had an unwritten code of loyalty between us. i subsequently, and happily, signed over the name, april wine, which was my own creation.

i'm a huge fan, still, and looking forward to the new cd, due in mid-july.

thanks for the opportunity to blow my own horn!!!

-dh
www.davidhenmanband.com

1 - 20 of 43 Posts