The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 21 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my Yamaki, love my Gibby J-185.

Just have this desire for a decent straight player with a cutaway and electronics. I'm thinking maybe a 414ce would work and be a nice size too.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
I was fortunate 2 years ago when i spent 2 hours with Ken Lauzon of Lauzon music in Ottawa trying each and ever Taylor and Martin in store. They have some serious guitars for some serious money and i started with the entry level up the most expensive models. Thats how you try guitars. It turns out i have very expensive taste and cant afford it.LOL

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I had a 214CE for a while and it was definitely a great feeling and sounding guitar. I'm not much of an acoustic player, but when I bought it, it won me over compared to Martins, Gibsons, etc. in it's price range and even slightly above. Never thought I'd be a Taylor guy, but there you have it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a 414CE. Nice guitar. Worth $3500 or whatever they are new now, god no. I bought it for 1/4 of that when the dollar was at par.

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
I may only own a GS Mini, but I have tried others. I love the feel and playability of Taylors. I don't consider them bright, but chimey and I like that sound. I am fond of the XX2ce models

Reactions: gitapik

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I have a 414ce and love it, bought it for $1500 in 2013, now It’s double . I did play a mini a few weeks ago I was quite impressed with the sound from such a small guitar.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
love my 416ce

·
Registered
913 Posts
814ce. Absolutely beautiful tone and craftsmenship.

Taylor tepresents a ´looking forward’ approach to acoustic guitar design. I like that in my acoustic.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Taylor 414ce vs Martin GPCPA4 ?

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
After trying both Martins and Taylors, i ca honestly say that the Taylor is so nice and clear for a picker, cuts right through. The Martin is more of a strummers guitar as it has a rich full bodied sound. Advantage to Taylor for its unique neck adjustment. Both are great guitars.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I played a lot of them at Cosmo out of curiosity and because they have a room with nothing but Taylor guitars in it. They didn’t all have the bright sound that is often attributed to them and I could have probably found one that I would have liked. Also their general sound characteristics are just another series of tones that can be used for whatever works with it so I wouldn’t say no to one if I liked the guitar. However, I always default back to guitars that have Martin characteristics and even within that range my D18, HD35 and HD28 all sound very different from each other.

As always the answer is that you have to try a bunch of them. If I was looking for a Taylor I would take myself to some place like Cosmo that has a good acoustic room and a lot of different models to try.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
As always the answer is that you have to try a bunch of them. If I was looking for a Taylor I would take myself to some place like Cosmo that has a good acoustic room and a lot of different models to try.
Words of excellent advice from a very wise man.

1 - 21 of 70 Posts