• More than 52

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was intrigued by last year's thread: https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/so-how-many-gigs-did-you-play-in-2017.186385/

So I've decided to ask the question again.

How many gigs did you play last year? Solo? Band? Multiple acts? Multiple venues? Anything unusual? Give us the deets!

I more than doubled my total from last year - 45. Mostly my regular Sunday night gig hosting a local open mic. The rest were solo instrumental gigs, including my first two busking gigs, half a dozen "live music yoga" gigs, and a few one-offs. Only three unpaid. It was a good year!

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
Maybe 5.

Way down from previous years as I quit 2 bands 2 years ago. I played a couple of community things with my fiddle/guitar duo and a short set with a singer I met. The singer was interesting and pretty good but I gather her husband didn’t dig her singing with me. I’ve been jamming with guys though, something might develop band wise I’m not sure. Lots of time to record.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I did two, both for work. The big one i front of 412 folks that I posted about and a reprise a few days later in the cafeteria to around 30. I've been bitten; there will be more in 2019!

·
Premium Member
8,580 Posts
On stage around 20, paid around 15. By far the most of my life, included 3-4 @2 in a row until 2am ish THEN load out. Unless I am in great shape, and admittedly I was not, I would not do again. I’m 25 lbs down since Thanksgiving and was and start again Saturday working out, so I miiiight for the right one. The real fitness motivation is my son’s wedding in May upcoming.

Included my first 2 outdoor gigs, a biker rally and a business open house, which was on an open flat deck trailer that had a few rough spots in a fairly wide open commercial area. Loudest I ever had my rig, it was glorious ...500W of GK slam thru 2 Subway 210s stacked, the punch was unreal. That was also my last with that band, which was where most of the gigs came from. Best guitar player, by a mile, I ever played with - toured Ontario for years, I think did sound for a band you would all know, not certain I have that 100% so won’t say who.....Peter, if you think you might know pm me, 55ish 5’8”160. But the decision was mutual when I left.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
By gig do you mean an audience of more than one?

About 5 I’d say solo. None yet with the band, we’re still gelling. It’s harder to play with a band (but more fun) than playing solo.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
I was intrigued by last year's thread: https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/so-how-many-gigs-did-you-play-in-2017.186385/

So I've decided to ask the question again.

How many gigs did you play last year? Solo? Band? Multiple acts? Multiple venues? Anything unusual? Give us the deets!

I more than doubled my total from last year - 45. Mostly my regular Sunday night gig hosting a local open mic. The rest were solo instrumental gigs, including my first two busking gigs, half a dozen "live music yoga" gigs, and a few one-offs. Only three unpaid. It was a good year!
How was the busking? I think that would be fun. Tell me more about it.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,122 Posts
Same as 2017, big fat ZERO!

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
I did not know that, no bass?
Boss octave pedal -> Traynor dynbass 800H-> ampeg 810. Our last big tour of 2017 was as a 3 piece as well.

Real glad we have a guy now.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I play in 3 music groups and get out about 75-80 times a year. The classic country trio i play in keeps me the busiest by far.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How was the busking? I think that would be fun. Tell me more about it.
They could almost qualify as unpaid gigs... I made about $6/hour. But it was fun. It was part of the local studio tour. Two outdoor gigs playing in a gazebo on our local museum grounds - it was a beautiful day and the view was spectacular. I suspect that if it were in a place where I didn't know everyone I would have made more money - which is okay - for some reason, having friends throw money in your case feels wrong, even though I know it shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
They could almost qualify as unpaid gigs... I made about $6/hour. But it was fun. It was part of the local studio tour. Two outdoor gigs playing in a gazebo on our local museum grounds - it was a beautiful day and the view was spectacular. I suspect that if it were in a place where I didn't know everyone I would have made more money - which is okay - for some reason, having friends throw money in your case feels wrong, even though I know it shouldn't.
Oh, I’d thought you’d setup on some random sidewalk. You made enough for a beer, that’s all right in my books.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I went back through my 2018 records and it’s oddly identicle to last years total at 97 “paid” shows on the dot . This is both duo and full band shows .

Hopefully in 2019 I can break the 100 mark but it will be a very tough task as music is a side thing for me . I absolutely love it .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts