Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 45 or more

Votes: 9 20.9%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was changing out my wall calendar this morning and counted up the shows I played guitar on in 2017 - a total of 54.

This got me thinking - how many gigs did you all play in 2017? Were your shows with the same lineup or were there some last minute/fill ins? If you don't play out, are you planning to get out there? Or is your gig frequency winding down?

Hope all is well and Happy New Year!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
I have wound down to zero. Funny, because I think my skills are better than ever.

I think about playing out, but I no longer have enough personal aspiration even for the odd open mic.

Still enjoy writing, though, and "it ain't art until you share it" I always say. Hope to record some demos this year. And do private auditions for friends and family. Always ready to jam, of course.

Best to everyone in 2018! Especially you young fellas trying to make a go of it! Give 'er while you have the ambition!!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I played 18 that I can think of - but 15 of them paid! Most of those were weekly open mics that I started hosting in September.

Highlights included opening at the Greenbank Folk Club - an appreciative, listening audience that you can barely see because of the lights - and 2 sets at the Guinness World Record Concert in Stouffville. Also interesting was playing for "Live Music Yoga" - an instrumental gig which might become a somewhat regular thing - probably quarterly.

Edit: 19. Forgot one...

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I finally got a band going starting September but we haven't had any gigs yet. Also still building our set list. But I was invited to play in a blues band for 3 gigs which was the only ones I've played in last year. That's a couple of house concerts and one at the Lansdowne Park Summer Series. This year, I already have 6 gigs lined up, 4 with a Celtic band and 2 with my blues/r&b band. Two will be on Robbie Burns Day on Jan 25 and two again during St Patrick's day. And my band also has 2 gigs in June.

·
Premium Member
11,927 Posts
Less than 15.

I left two bands in February, though one had a farewell show in April because it folded when I left. One was a blues/rock/folk/country 6 piece cover band, and the other was a contemporary Irish singer-songwriter/celtic trio, each played a couple of shows early in the year. There were also a couple of pickup gigs, a couple of church gigs, a couple of violin/guitar duo gigs, one concertina/guitar gig, and a memorial service throughout the year. Probably the lightest gig year in 25 years and I really enjoyed the extra time off, especially in the summer.

Hopefully, there'll be a new band in the next year or so, but at my age I don't want to gig all the time.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
We did probably a dozen gigs through the 'nice weather' months, including some outdoor, band-showcase gigs. And probably another 6 or 7 bar gigs on either side of the summer. A combination of free and paid gigs.

Some of the free ones were the most fun, though. In particular, I always wanted to play a block party on my own block, and got to do that this year for Canada Day. Kind of a bucket list thing - playing for all my neighbors I've been annoying for all these years - and it was great party, lots of fun had by all.

·
Administrator
17,392 Posts
Haven't played out for pay since NYE 2013 with @mario . I've played a few charity events and the band still gets together every couple of weeks (supposed to be every week) for fun and "just in case" but none of us are actively searching for anything. Lazy bunch of bastards.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.