The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently southern and eastern Ontario are in for a nasty storm tomorrow. It is to start overnight, but really pick up throughout the morning. There won't be much snow to start, but apparently high winds will make for poor visibility. As afternoon hits, the snow is supposed to turn to freezing rain and ice pellets. This could make for a fun day! Everyone stay safe out there.

I am supposed to teach at 7pm tomorrow evening, but haven't done a damned thing to get ready for that class as I am hoping the weather reports are accurate and that they will close the college. If they haven't announced anything by noon, I'll have to do some work! Knowing my luck they will close the school five minutes after I finish getting a lesson plan prepared! But at least next week is spring break so I will have that week off (not that I get paid for it).

But as I said, everyone stay safe out there.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Can hardly wait! Snow glorious snow. Love it.

Going tobogganing on Wednesday. There had better be tons of snow.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
We decided to cancel practice today. I'm sure a couple of coworkers won't be in.

I'm about to take the dog out, I can hear the wind picking up already.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Schools canceled in Kitchener area. I got to Guelph okay this morning but my drive back to Kitchener later today may not be so nice.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
It looks okay outside for now. Just going to get the boys dressed and take them for a walk. It’s still pretty cold out.

My Frankie boy gets neutered today, poor baby.

I wished sometimes I didn’t live across the street from work when it snows. No excuses for not making it to work.

·
Registered
24,373 Posts
Can hardly wait! Snow glorious snow. Love it.

Going tobogganing on Wednesday. There had better be tons of snow.
As much as I used to love tobogganing when I was younger, there's a differences between having snow on the hill where you slide down, and having to trudge up the hill in snow that comes up to your knees just to be able to go down once more.

I can't vouch for it, but as quickly as snow plows have come around to push things out of the way in Ottawa, it seems like there has been no snow removal as in past winters. Snow that was pushed to the side has been packed down and hardened into ice, and most streets just seem narrower, with snowbanks coming out farther. There used to be a "snow mountain" downtown in a big open area adjacent to LeBreton flats, where all the dump trucks would bring the snow that the blowers had had provided. It could easily take until mid-July for all the snow to melt. But that area is no longer available for use, so I have no idea if another was identified by city management, or whether they simply skipped on the removal and stuck to mere pushing-out-of-the-way.

We are told to expect in the vicinity of 40cm over the next 24-36hrs here. I have a decent snowblower and plenty of gas in the tank, but I have no idea where I'm going to put the snow. The banks on each side of the driveway already come up to my shoulders, and the banks are glazed over with a layer of ice, such that things could easily slide back onto the driveway.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
Schools canceled in Kitchener area. I got to Guelph okay this morning but my drive back to Kitchener later today may not be so nice.
Cancelled in london and area too. Another day off for my partner.

The dog walk was driving pellets into my face. We power walked.

Im on break at work and the lot has a few inches already.

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Whole public school board closed, so Mrs. Mooh gets to stay home.

The dogs weren't out long, ice pellets mixed with snow sticking to their fur.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I've asked my staff to work from home today and tomorrow. So sick of this snow. I keep having to hire people to shovel off the flat roof and the city doesn't plow our street for weeks after a major storm. Our road is used as a shortcut to avoid a traffic light and we often can't move because of these commuters getting stuck.

21208740618_d87157bf39_o.jpg

·
Registered
24,373 Posts
When we had a bus strike a decade back, both my wife and I and several neighbours were working downtown. We would pool in my car. I'd drop everybody off and then look for parking in the residential areas on the perimeter of downtown. Because it was winter, there arose the problem that the city plows couldn't remove very much because there were cars parked on the street. And because the snow could not be removed in wholesale fashion, that resulted in there being progressively fewer and fewer viable parking spots, not just for the workies like myself, but for the residents as well (the brunt of whom do not have garages or back laneways). It generally resulted in having to walk 10-12 blocks to work from where I was parked.

In view of what seems to be an absence of actual removal of snow this season, the coming storm will be cataclysmic for downtown. My recent trips have found a great many residential streets in the core essentially reduced to a single lane and parking on one side....where the ice does not prohibit. That's fine for a oneway street. But for a 2-way, it's a problem.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Especially if you take Highway #7 as there is nothing but farmer's fields between Guelph and KW.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not much going on in the GTA right now, but I checked my email when I got up and the college is closed today. They made the call really early, but I don't care as I get paid for the day. Hopefully this shit show continues into tomorrow so that I get it off too as I hate the class I have to teach tomorrow. But I can't get that lucky.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Never sick of this! It hasn’t even started to snow in Pickering yet. Oh sorry, I stand corrected, it is! I just peeked out the window and it is. Yeah! Went back to bed for a while. Nice to be able to go back to sleep sometimes. Don’t have to be at work until 1. Night. Lol

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
Snowmageddon out here, too. It's been snowing now for 12 hours straight, after a big windstorm last weekend. No flying sharks yet, so that's good news.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot I left my Porsche door open.
FIFY

It looks okay outside for now. Just going to get the boys dressed and take them for a walk. It’s still pretty cold out.

My Frankie boy gets neutered today, poor baby.
I really, really, really hope Frankie is a dog. :D

1 - 20 of 117 Posts