The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm looking for a small tube amp. I tried the avt20 from Marshall, i think that's what it's called :D . I liked it. But i've heard they're not the most reliable. I've never owned a tube amp before, any thing else i should look at. I don't really want to pay much more then $500. I'm not planning on playing any gigs, it's just to jam in my basement :DevilGuitar: thx.

·
Registered
181 Posts
fastrack said:
Hi all. I'm looking for a small tube amp. I tried the avt20 from Marshall, i think that's what it's called :D . I liked it. But i've heard they're not the most reliable. I've never owned a tube amp before, any thing else i should look at. I don't really want to pay much more then $500. I'm not planning on playing any gigs, it's just to jam in my basement :DevilGuitar: thx.
I hear nothing but great reviews from the epiphone valve junior. Its a class A tube amp. 5W:) Its 180 dollars at L and M. Or you can get the head version for cheaper.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Valve Junior Head. Thye've resolved the noise issues that were evident in the combo Appears to be the bargin of the century. Get the speaker cab of your choice.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Mixed reviews on the Valve Junior..even after supposed "improvements". I've been using the recent Gibson GA-5 and both quality & sound are outstanding on this amp. I'm paring everything down to what's gig-able however so, unfortunately, the amp won't be with me much longer. :( It's hard to argue against the simplicity and ruggedness of P-T-P hand-built amps though. As is typical, you should expect to get just what you pay for.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Take a look at the Crate V series. They have both a 5 and 15 watt model. They also make an 18 watt Palimino tube amp allthough I have never heard it in action. ( I swore I would never buy a Crate product until I heard these Vs...great sounds)

Tarl

·
Registered
169 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
Asked for pics and the seller never sent them or responded? :confused-smiley-010
I saw you respond to the ad real quick. This is a terrific smallish amp. I understand most were not tubed as 6V6's and that's what makes that particular one desireable(rare?) I am fortunate to have one myself and couldn't be happier. The addition of a standby switch is a good idea, and It'll be getting that on the next trip to the shop.:)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i recommend the fender pro junior.

that said, for the purpose you describe, i personally prefer solid state or digital.

to get the kind of response you need at low volume, tube amps have to be pushed to uncomfortable levels.

-david

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
The Roland Cube amps have had much better reviews than other SS amps. I tried the Cube 30 a few times and was relatively impressed, but I needed $$ for car repairs and bought a Marshall SS instead - a moderate sized mistake. (though changing the speaker has improved it.) The Cube 60 seems to have it fans (see The Gear Page)

By the way, what do you consider a small tube amp

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
david henman said:
...i recommend the fender pro junior.

that said, for the purpose you describe, i personally prefer solid state or digital.

to get the kind of response you need at low volume, tube amps have to be pushed to uncomfortable levels.

-david

A 5 watt Pro Junior would be your ticket (still loud), if there was such a thing.

·
Registered
788 Posts
hoser said:
peavey classic 30.
+1

I love mine, at low volumes you can use the preamp channel to emulate clean channel breakup, its small, gigable and with some simple mods it can kick some ass :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Robert1950 said:
A 5 watt Pro Junior would be your ticket (still loud), if there was such a thing.
...loud doesn't begin to cover it. the pro junior is a must-have amp, in my opinion, especially in the studio.

as a bedroom amp, it is severe overkill.

probably ideal for fastrack, though, for basement jamming.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
SCREEM said:
+1
I love mine, at low volumes you can use the preamp channel to emulate clean channel breakup, its small, gigable and with some simple mods it can kick some ass :DevilGuitar:

...this is an amp i plan to buy sometime this year, having compared it to most other 1-12 combos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried a traynor, wow. Very nice. A bit too big for my wife's liking :D I live in a small town and they don't have too many amps to try out :mad: I'll be going to Kelowna soon, so i'll try that Pro Junior, i know they carry Fender there. Thx for all the info guys.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The 6V6 versions are not really all that rare. Yes, they used EL 84s from about 1970-71 on, but the 6V6s were in for years.

Still never heard from the seller . . . ?

MaxWedge said:
I saw you respond to the ad real quick. This is a terrific smallish amp. I understand most were not tubed as 6V6's and that's what makes that particular one desireable(rare?) I am fortunate to have one myself and couldn't be happier. The addition of a standby switch is a good idea, and It'll be getting that on the next trip to the shop.:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts