The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking for a small tube amp. I tried the avt20 from Marshall, i think that's what it's called :D . I liked it. But i've heard they're not the most reliable. I've never owned a tube amp before, any thing else i should look at. I don't really want to pay much more then $500. I'm not planning on playing any gigs, it's just to jam in my basement :DevilGuitar: thx.

·
Registered
180 Posts
fastrack said:
Hi all. I'm looking for a small tube amp. I tried the avt20 from Marshall, i think that's what it's called :D . I liked it. But i've heard they're not the most reliable. I've never owned a tube amp before, any thing else i should look at. I don't really want to pay much more then $500. I'm not planning on playing any gigs, it's just to jam in my basement :DevilGuitar: thx.
I hear nothing but great reviews from the epiphone valve junior. Its a class A tube amp. 5W:) Its 180 dollars at L and M. Or you can get the head version for cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Mixed reviews on the Valve Junior..even after supposed "improvements". I've been using the recent Gibson GA-5 and both quality & sound are outstanding on this amp. I'm paring everything down to what's gig-able however so, unfortunately, the amp won't be with me much longer. :( It's hard to argue against the simplicity and ruggedness of P-T-P hand-built amps though. As is typical, you should expect to get just what you pay for.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Take a look at the Crate V series. They have both a 5 and 15 watt model. They also make an 18 watt Palimino tube amp allthough I have never heard it in action. ( I swore I would never buy a Crate product until I heard these Vs...great sounds)

Tarl

·
Registered
168 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
Asked for pics and the seller never sent them or responded? :confused-smiley-010
I saw you respond to the ad real quick. This is a terrific smallish amp. I understand most were not tubed as 6V6's and that's what makes that particular one desireable(rare?) I am fortunate to have one myself and couldn't be happier. The addition of a standby switch is a good idea, and It'll be getting that on the next trip to the shop.:)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
...i recommend the fender pro junior.

that said, for the purpose you describe, i personally prefer solid state or digital.

to get the kind of response you need at low volume, tube amps have to be pushed to uncomfortable levels.

-david

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
The Roland Cube amps have had much better reviews than other SS amps. I tried the Cube 30 a few times and was relatively impressed, but I needed $$ for car repairs and bought a Marshall SS instead - a moderate sized mistake. (though changing the speaker has improved it.) The Cube 60 seems to have it fans (see The Gear Page)

By the way, what do you consider a small tube amp

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
david henman said:
...i recommend the fender pro junior.

that said, for the purpose you describe, i personally prefer solid state or digital.

to get the kind of response you need at low volume, tube amps have to be pushed to uncomfortable levels.

-david

A 5 watt Pro Junior would be your ticket (still loud), if there was such a thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried a traynor, wow. Very nice. A bit too big for my wife's liking :D I live in a small town and they don't have too many amps to try out :mad: I'll be going to Kelowna soon, so i'll try that Pro Junior, i know they carry Fender there. Thx for all the info guys.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
The 6V6 versions are not really all that rare. Yes, they used EL 84s from about 1970-71 on, but the 6V6s were in for years.

Still never heard from the seller . . . ?

MaxWedge said:
I saw you respond to the ad real quick. This is a terrific smallish amp. I understand most were not tubed as 6V6's and that's what makes that particular one desireable(rare?) I am fortunate to have one myself and couldn't be happier. The addition of a standby switch is a good idea, and It'll be getting that on the next trip to the shop.:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.