The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Both my guitar and bass amps weigh in between 45-50 lbs. There are several situations where I need amplification (weekends at a cottage for example), but I don't want to lug around two heavy amps. When I jam with by jazz buddies, I usually play the guitar, but would love to play the bass on a few tunes. When I jam with my blues buddies, it's the reverse. I usually play the bass but would like to play the guitar on some tunes. It's easy carrying around a guitar and a bass, but two full size amps are bit much.

I'm considering getting a Roland Microcube for the occasional guitar playing, but I need a recommendation on something a bit more portable for my bass. Of course, any and all suggestions are appreciated for both guitar and bass.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrie

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have had a Roland 30 and 60 cube and they both were great SS amps. Roland also makes a bass cube... I think it,s 30 watts.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
david henman said:
...i recommend the vox da5 for guitar. i would look at small fender or traynor practise amps for bass.

-dh
I haven't tried the Vox DA5 although it's in the ballpark as to what I'm looking for. I will try it out, although if the electronics work in the same fashion as the other Vox amps with modeling, it won't work for me. I had a Vox AD30VT that I sold after a year. Didn't care for it.

Lawrie

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tarl said:
I have had a Roland 30 and 60 cube and they both were great SS amps. Roland also makes a bass cube... I think it,s 30 watts.
They do make a bass cube which I may look at. But I'm really looking for soemthing smaller and lighter. I know the Micro Cube would fit the bill, but I haven't seen anything like that for a bass in my travels.

Lawrie

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Traynor makes some great small bass amps. The bass player I jam with has a nice one. It's not quite as small as a micro cube, but it's smaller and lighter than my Vox Pathfinder which is pretty small and light amp. Best part is I am pretty sure they are well under $100 at Long and Mcquade. I think he only paid about $75 for his.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
torndownunit said:
Traynor makes some great small bass amps. The bass player I jam with has a nice one. It's not quite as small as a micro cube, but it's smaller and lighter than my Vox Pathfinder which is pretty small and light amp. Best part is I am pretty sure they are well under $100 at Long and Mcquade. I think he only paid about $75 for his.
Oh good. I have to go to Long and Mcquade tomorrow, so I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yorkville XM50
50 watt 10" combo. weighs 30lbs. You could give it a try, I love my XM200 and I know James loves his monster of a Yorkville.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I forgot about those Yorkville cubes. It's amazing how big those things sound for such a small amp. I get the impression 30 lbs is more than the original poster is looking for though.

This is the amp my bass player has (for some reason they aren't on the Traynor site). I don't really agree with the reviews on this page. The amp is what it is, a small bass amp that is good for practice and small jams.

16-1/2"W x 16-1/2"H x 8"D
24 lbs.

Pretty small.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Bass-Mate-25W-Combo?sku=480964

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
^^yeah i was thinking the same thing too, but I also thought that yorkville had an 8" combo. For bass, a really small amp doesnt cut it. I have a 25 watt park amp and its really not hearable over an acoustic guitar.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
They do make one with an 8", but that one is just a smaller amp in general. This one is a higher wattage, a bit bigger and costs a bit more. I am pretty sure they still come in at Under $100 though before taxes.

I agree the 8" one is pretty useless. I believe that one is only 10 watts as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts