The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been approached to host a local acoustic open mic and despite having collected a tonne of PA gear over the years, I don't have a suitable mixer. I'm looking for a mixer with 6 XLR inputs and onboard effects. (I don't need 6 inputs for this gig, but I want to have a bit of flexibility.) I have come up with a short list of Mackie, Soundcraft, Yamaha, and Yorkville.

Mackie:
Mackie - 12-Channel Professional Effects Mixer with USB

Soundcraft:
Soundcraft - 10 Channel Analog Mixer with Lexicon Effects and USB

Yamaha:
Yamaha - 12 Channel MG Series Mixer w/Effects

Yorkville:
Yorkville Sound - 8-Channel Passive Mixer

I have used earlier versions/different sizes of all of them except the Soundcraft. Anyone have experience with any of these specific units? Any red flags? I'm a bit concerned that the Mackie is so much cheaper than the others - should I be?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
The Yammie MG series is solid and remarkably decent. Yorkville is 'm'eh' but reasonably reliable. I haven't used a recent Mackie (heard they went downhill but have come back a bit; the older ones were fine). The Soundcraft would be my first choice (never used that one, but some of the slightly older models are nice and cheap used).

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have the Yamaha and love it. It has a great clean sound with very little distortion. I currently use it with both active Mackie Thump and EV ZLX12p speakers.
a great mixer with a lot of versatility. Mostly use it with just a little hall reverb on the Vocals and Instrumentation.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I didn't get any of them.

I was on kijiji and found this:

It's the predecessor to the Yammy that I posted. Slightly larger footprint and an external power supply (which I don't love), but otherwise pretty much the same mixer - at a much better price. A friend has a larger version of this mixer - I've used it a few times and it's a solid mixer. Hopefully this will be just as impressive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts