The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of my Tele's set up with light\ medium gauge. 10, 13, 17 on the treble strings and the low strings 28, 38 and 49.
I'd like to change this to just a straight medium gauge. So the treble strings would change to 11. 14 and 18.
Do I have to make any adjustments in setup. Personally I think the intonation should be fine. And it it pulls the relief up a hair that wouldn't be a bad thing. Mainly I'd worry about the nut slots needing adjusment.
So any worries?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Nut slots should be fine- you're talking about a tiny change in thickness (1/100 of an inch). Relief may change but how much depends on the neck but will probably be negligible.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nut slots should be fine- you're talking about a tiny change in thickness (1/100 of an inch). Relief may change but how much depends on the neck but will probably be negligible.
Thanks for the reply. I was mainly worried about nut slots. If the relief changed a tiny bit that would be fine. I'm thinking I'd like to use this particular guitar for slide. Thicker gauge and slightly higher action would be fine.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,427 Posts
Should be fine and might pull the relief up a hair like you mentioned. Check the intonation anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts