The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great thread on something I've been trying to convince myself to learn. I've got a '72ish Harmony that was pulled from a trash pile - I think it was sat on. I've repaired the top and replaced a couple braces that were broken... I'm thinking it will be a good candidate to designate as a slide guitar. Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mississippi John and Elizabeth Cotten were my stars when I was learning to finger pick. Keep that thumb moving! Now I gotta learn to slide...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've got my Tele in open G now for messing around with slide. .
Rollin and tumblin. Fifth fret, seventh and third, figure a turnaround bottom 3 frets 4th and 5th strings and bobs your uncle. :)

Wish I was computer literate enough to post a vid, or even know how, haha. :(

Oh, and DerrickT, When I lay my burden down's in open D (dminor is where skip james lives. ;) ) Hope that saves you some time. :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've been trying Greg Koch's method lately. He says he presses down with the slide to help with pitch issues. He starts talking about slide 27 minutes in the video. It's really helped with my intonation because I don't practice slide enough to be competent.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've been playing slide for years, as I got into old Delta blues as a youngster, and was a fan of Duane Allman and later Ron Wood. Starting out tuned to E is a good idea, and then, try other tunings. I've been using open A for electric and open G for acoustic lately. I can't play pretty slide guitar like George Harrison did no matter how hard I try, and I can't play slide in standard tuning. It has to be an open tuning. I'm shocked at the number of guitarists I know and work with who can't play slide at all. I call my style of slide playing, "slash & burn." Think Hound Dog Taylor and Elmore James.

I don't play slide on standard low action guitars, because I hit the strings hard, so I have quite a few dedicated slide guitars with high action, including a '58 Supro Belmont, three 60s Japanese electrics (which are almost perfect for my needs, because they sound so dirty with OD added), plus a Guitar Fetish Slick SL-59 with one P90 (it looks like an old Melody Maker). Lately, I've been using my '95 MIJ Candy Apple Red Strat, which is working out nicely. On the acoustic side, I have a 1929 National Triloian, a 50's wood body Regal, and a Hohner Triolian knockoff. (Edit: that I have since sold).

When playing clean on electric, I usually add some compression, which gives me that Lowell George vibe. I have many slides; brass, steel and glass. I have never found a ceramic slide that fits my finger nicely, but I'm sure they're out there.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Great subject ! Got the vibe while exploring good ol acoustic blues from the early Delta masters.

I then got an original used Dobro Hound Dog... 0,016 strings and bowed neck ! Neck unfortunately too thin. I now
have a Hot Rod tricone (nut width 1 3/4 in., strings gauge 0,013) in Open D and an all mahogany Alvarez AP66 parlor with quite high action for fingerstyle (1 3/4" nut width and 0,012 strings gauge) in Open G. Tried many types of bottlenecks and slides, adjusting some with band-aid inside to fit perfectly and avoid slipping from my crooked pinky.

Meanwhile threw an eye on Rory Block's DVDs of Robert Johnson's repertoire... steep mountain to climb !
Read books and methods (Stefan Grossman's Country Blues has bottleneck section) and got DVD's of Fred Sokolow and late Bob Brozman and some Keni Lee Burgess. John Hammond Jr is also great.

The problem is, adding my recent beginning of Celtic tunes in diverse alternate tuning, I miss time to practise and become fluent... There is so much to discover !!!
So I decide to take kind of a break and began private lessons. Yes, I did ! "At last !" said my wife !

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
My favourite guitarist...

I came back to this thread to post something else and watched that video for the first time. I really like his playing and will have to check out the band now, so thank you for posting that. And he's a fellow Canuck!!!

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I came back to this thread to post something else and watched that video for the first time. I really like his playing and will have to check out the band now, so thank you for posting that. And he's a fellow Canuck!!!
He’s absolutely the best of the best. His album cuts are pretty pop/radio friendly but when you see him live it’ll blow your mind. Absolutely stunning guitar playing and vocals. But the song writing is equally as impressive.

He’s currently touring Ontario. Go check out a show!

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
While I've kept saying that I have to get my ass in gear and get serious about learning slide, I've kept putting it off. Today I bought the Andy Aledort slide course online (Trufire, if I remember correctly). I also bought a slide guitar course on Udemy.com, and hopefully the two together will give me everything I need.

I don't want to fully convert any of my guitars right now so I bought one of those nut extenders, which will allow me to alter a guitar for slide without having to replace the nut just yet. I think I'll throw it on my Tele, put some thicker strings on, and then adjust the saddles to give me nice flat action.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I could be perfectly happy playing nothing but slide for the rest of my life so it is about time that I took my finger out of my pie hole and actually got going on this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was drawn in by hearing great dobro slide music, Jerry Douglas mainly and looked into getting a "square neck" resonator guitar last year. these are set up for slide only and you can get "round neck" resonator guitars for both fretting and slide. My problem is cost and availability, mainly. In the meantime I dug out an old lap steel I built years ago and put dobro strings on it. The tuning of choice for dobro/resonator players is GBDGBD so I adopted that and got to work. Players use a heavy bar rather than a bottleneck so I got one of those and now I'm just starting to feel comfortable with it. I added legs to it and use a volume pedal for volume swells. I use it in 4 or 5 songs with my band so far. The biggest problem so far is getting a full sounding minor chord. The books I have say to use the fingers that aren't holding the bar to pull one or more of the strings into pitch for the desired chord. I'm not there yet, but I can get a partial chord that doesn't sound terrible. I have some pics of my build, these are fairly simple overall. The first pic is the original build, the second is after a adding legs and a paint job.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Good on you for developing something, but I far prefer the material, sound, and method of a traditional slide.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I decided to give this thread a bit of a bump.

The arthritis in my fretting hand has become bad (I can't even twist the cap off of a new bottle of water with my left hand without it hurting like hell), so I am pretty much giving up on regular guitar and am switching to playing slide only (I am also considering starting drum lessons as two drum teachers have told me that it shouldn't bother my fingers unless I get into really up tempo stuff like bebop jazz).

There is a slide player named Dan Walsh who posts videos on youtube that I think are quite good (link below). I've spoken to him and we've arranged for me to start lessons with him in early January, which I am really looking forward to. If I develop any kind of skill, I will have all of my guitars converted for slide playing just like my cheap ass SG Special (taller nut, thicker strings).

Here is Dan's youtube page:

41 - 60 of 72 Posts