The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi all! i've been lurking and when i saw this i had to join. last christmas i got one of these two. i got a whole new disease now. hmmm...was going to post a few pics of some cbg builds but first i got to figure out how...

the gift and to the right the first cbg build...

the second build...

I have considered building one or something like it...
Although here is something I've had for a number of years--my friend made it when he was in his teens I believe--and later he went to get rid of it & I rescued it.
As I have said about this before (the Baux II--and yes there was a Baux I--it no longer exists)--you don't own it--it owns you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^ string it up and make it go!

there is something about three or four strings as opposed to six that makes slide seem a little more intuitive. tuning in fifths is my way of tuning. those thirds just throw me off. haven't used a regular guitar for slide since i got into these boxes. yep...i am owned.

edit: just an after thought. the pick up i put in that dark one is off of amazon...6 bucks. clear sound and hot as hell. around 9000 ohms if my old busted meter is right. i am putting a volume pot on it cos it overdrives my little recorder. doesn't matter how low i set the recording level. i was kind of surprised by that. i have another of them laying around and i think i'm going to shove it in a strat when i get a chance just to see...

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
So Robert. My contribution to your worthwhile thread. This is my slide evolution from the beginning. Starting on the left, your consummate Dunlop large glass slide. Tried it on my ring finger with little success so figuring it must the arrow, not the indian, I opted for a Blues Bottle. Should be better, right? Nope. That didn't seem to work for me either. On to a smaller slide that would fit on my pinky. Better, so I thought I would try a brass one (just to the right). Then thinking, wouldn't it be great if I could bend my pinky at the knuckle to better follow the fretboard radius? Thus I would attempt the two midgets in the middle. I bought the funny looking one at NAMM in '06. Big mistake. Too little coverage. However, I had my best success with the Dunlop glass slide 3rd from the right. It fits just above my knuckle on my pinky and seems to work best for me. So much so that I made matching brass and steel ones for more varied tones (farthest right) about 10 years ago and that's where I've stayed. It's most certainly a personal thing. Hope your journey isn't as long as mine was.

P1030461.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
it most definitely isn't the arrow. in the end you'll find yourself using beer bottles, glasses, whatever, to some kind of good effect. kind of like what someone somewhere said about searching for tone and buying a gazillion guitars. just get to know the one you got and you'll learn about tone. that said i have my favorite slides and my other slides. but i doubt if any but me know the difference when i'm using them.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Following Swervin55's good idea...

The glass slides, basic Jim Dunlops, Rockslides, Coricidin replicas (the little one is an actual travel size), Sleeman's, wine bottle.

Jim Dunlop and Rockslide brass; Dunlop, potter, and Sir Ramic ceramic slides; no name, Dunlop, and Shubb steels.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have three--chrome, brass & glass--the glass one came with my BluesBox

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Reactions: zontar

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Maybe the second or third most over requested song for bar bands, but the it is not that overly hard to learn (I think). Good for practicing how to do single note leads.

Reactions: colchar

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I use songster too but some of the tabs have been wrong in the past. It's a good resource don't get me wrong!
Which is why I said, "I can't promise you anything." Songsterr is marginally better than the average tab site, which is to say, use at your own risk, slippery when wet, falling rocks, no winter maintenance, deer crossing... Wrong in the past? Wrong now, and a lot. There are good tabs there but one has to wade through a lot of sewage to get them.

Slide is notoriously poorly notated. Perhaps www.musicnotes.com or www.onlinesheetmusic.com would be better.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Which is why I said, "I can't promise you anything." Songsterr is marginally better than the average tab site, which is to say, use at your own risk, slippery when wet, falling rocks, no winter maintenance, deer crossing... Wrong in the past? Wrong now, and a lot. There are good tabs there but one has to wade through a lot of sewage to get them.

Slide is notoriously poorly notated. Perhaps www.musicnotes.com or www.onlinesheetmusic.com would be better.
What you say is absolutely 120% true. I have watched some You tube videos who get it so wrong. I always comment if there wrong and I know that they're wrong.

Sometimes I will look all of the offerings on You tube and will draw my own conclusion as to what sounds best to me. If I am doing a cover song I try really hard to stick to the original version. I might add a little flourish here or there. Just to put make it mine sort of!

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I've recently decided to finally put some real effort into learning slide, rather than just farting around with it as I have done in the past. So I picked up a used Epi Les Paul Custom that is currently being given a setup by my friend the tech, who will also be putting a new nut in. I previously had an Epi LPC that I used for messing around with slide (mentioned on page #2 of this thread), but I sold it. I got this most recent one for $225 so it all worked out.

One thing that I have been wondering about is how you decide which notes to play with the slide, and which to play with your fingers (assuming the tab/notation doesn't specifically state which should be played with the slide). Can you just play every note with the slide? Or is playing some with the slide, and some without, simply a personal decision based on what you think sounds best for any given song?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
These 2 are where I've been learning my slide songs. First one, "seems" almost painfully slow at times but I find if I sit and work through it by the end I have a good start on playing the song. Also has good lessons for some simpler skip james/fred mcdowell and rl burnside songs.
Delta Lou

This is the song I've been attempting to put the alternating thumb base to work with.
Lot's of excellent lessons from Mr. Jeremy Lockwood on that channel as well.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts